Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
ChippeRock

Re: Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

#721 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm
ChippeRock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:49 pm
It is much, much, much, much x 100000 better if he just votes for his best guess, even if he doesn't have much confidence in it, even if he hasn't read/analyzed the whole game.
I mean, he should of known what he was signing up into. Since he's a new player, I really don't think his vote would appear* be super helpful to town one way or another since he's more likely to lynch someone that everybody else is all worked up about lynching - he's most likely going to exhibit herding behavior when making his vote. That does nothing for town - about as much as a No-Lynch does.
So...in this post, ChippeRock assumes that CruaaderReynauld is Town.

damo666

#722 Post by damo666 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ChippeRock wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
It is much, much, much, much x 100000 better if he just votes for his best guess, even if he doesn't have much confidence in it, even if he hasn't read/analyzed the whole game.
I mean, he should of known what he was signing up into. Since he's a new player, I really don't think his vote would be super helpful to town one way or another since he's more likely to lynch someone that everybody else is all worked up about lynching - he's most likely going to exhibit herding behavior when making his vote. That does nothing for town - about as much as a No-Lynch does.
implying...?

damo666

#723 Post by damo666 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

@Chips why did you just quote that without comment?

ChippeRock

#724 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ChippeRock wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
I mean, he should of known what he was signing up into. Since he's a new player, I really don't think his vote would be super helpful to town one way or another since he's more likely to lynch someone that everybody else is all worked up about lynching - he's most likely going to exhibit herding behavior when making his vote. That does nothing for town - about as much as a No-Lynch does.
*shocked Pikachu face*

Yes, I did. But can you say that you did not do the same for connor? Everybody has written him off on town, but who knows, he could be scum - there just isn't enough information to tell either way IMHO.

They're both playing the noob card, and it's possible 1 of them is scum. Neither have inputted much on this game as well.

ChippeRock

#725 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm
See bolded word in the quote.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#726 Post by Squigs44 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Catching up while at work. I see I have a ton of questions waiting for me, half of which I feel like I have already answered already, but those are gonna have to wait till I'm not on mobile.

K, Flav is giving me town vibes now so there's that.

##vote Tom Bomb

His play is so awfully awk right now. His posts aren't actually moving discussion at all. Town Tom is much better than this.

damo666

#727 Post by damo666 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:05 pm

ChippeRock wrote:
damo666 wrote:
See bolded word in the quote.
OK Gotcha. Thanks.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#728 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:10 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ChippeRock wrote:

implying...?
Well, one way to catch scum is when they reveal in the thread that they know something that only scum would know. If CruaaderReynauld is, in fact, Town, this would be decent evidence that ChippeRock knew that beforehand.

Now I'm pretty conflicted. The thing that struck me about the Chippe/VT shenanigans that dominated the beginning of the game was that Chippe sincerely seemed to believe that he was town. Whether or not there was some exploit at play, I just got the impression that he felt in his heart that he was righteous. Seemed like a pretty readable moment to me, so he has basically been my top townread. But this is interesting. I don't really want to act on this now, but I want to file it away for when we have more flips.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#729 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:12 pm

ChippeRock wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ChippeRock wrote:

*shocked Pikachu face*

Yes, I did. But can you say that you did not do the same for connor? Everybody has written him off on town, but who knows, he could be scum - there just isn't enough information to tell either way IMHO.

They're both playing the noob card, and it's possible 1 of them is scum. Neither have inputted much on this game as well.
Reading someone is Town, and simply assuming they are Town are pretty different to me. If you have a reason to read Cruaader as Town based on what he has posted so far, please explain.

Carl Tuckerson

#730 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:12 pm

As much as I appreciate this site's strong moderator staff, all three of my most reasonable kills right now are mods.

dargorygel, Foxcastle and TrPrado are all doing the umpire bit where they ask people questions about their posts but the questions largely don't go anywhere and they don't come to useful conclusions. Their votes are all not good either--either the lurking MoscowFleet or clear bait wagons like FlaviusAetius or ChippeRock--where they exist at all (Foxcastle has not voted).

Do any of them normally do this bit where they hover around the conversation of the thread and play 20 Questions but ultimately settle on weak votes?

~~~

connorcompton:
connorcompton wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:06 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm
Town
Shall we play psychoanalyst? You don't think "let's kill some people" is a little cavalier for town? Seems more of a scum perspective to me.

Perhaps "I would love to be in jail" is a innate confession of someone who knows they are truly a criminal. Because criminals MUST go to prison, so if they must, the best thing to do is to anticipate it and welcome it.
Shall we play burn the Squigs witch? This is insane.
What did you mean by this post? I never got a clear understanding of what you were looking to accomplish here.

ChippeRock

#731 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:10 pm
damo666 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

implying...?
Well, one way to catch scum is when they reveal in the thread that they know something that only scum would know. If CruaaderReynauld is, in fact, Town, this would be decent evidence that ChippeRock knew that beforehand.

Now I'm pretty conflicted. The thing that struck me about the Chippe/VT shenanigans that dominated the beginning of the game was that Chippe sincerely seemed to believe that he was town. Whether or not there was some exploit at play, I just got the impression that he felt in his heart that he was righteous. Seemed like a pretty readable moment to me, so he has basically been my top townread. But this is interesting. I don't really want to act on this now, but I want to file it away for when we have more flips.
You're overreading it - I, just like everybody else, instantly assumed that the noobs in this game were town (which isn't such a horrible assumption).

Connor has used the noob card to get strong townreads throughout - and while I won't comment on whether or not that's a correct read, neither him nor Cruaader have said enough to get themselves strong townreads.

ChippeRock

#732 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:12 pm
ChippeRock wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

*shocked Pikachu face*

Reading someone is Town, and simply assuming they are Town are pretty different to me. If you have a reason to read Cruaader as Town based on what he has posted so far, please explain.
I've made 3 reads, if I had a new one, believe me, I would post it.

connorcompton

#733 Post by connorcompton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Jesus Christ, catching up has taken me way longer than expected but I didn't want to start commenting until completely up to date. I feel so refreshed with knowledge. (opinions)

1. I am almost certain Carl is town

2. I think Squigs likely is aswell.

3. I am genuinely very glad Chippe has been able to reintegrate back into this game. I thought the end was near close to the end of my catchup.
(I don't think I need to say he is clearly town)

4. 'Lurkers'. While I think it is quite early to assume Mafia from someone who's hardly posted, bozo's seeming lack of care to post literally anything of importance makes me highly suspicious.

5. I have no idea about Flavius.

6. From my fairly unimformed opinion, Balki seems scum, don't read too much into that though.

7. I think teacon is Mafia, annoyingly I'm finding this hard to justify, but discounting Chippe's actions as scum, and eagerness to lynch lurkers are hard for me to ignore. So I am going to have to respectfully ##VOTE teacon7

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#734 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Just to elaborate on this a bit:

The reason why folks were encouraging Cruaader to vote was not because we all crave his input about who is scum so that we can use his reasoning. The reason is that we want to know more about Cruaader's alignment and so even if he votes and shares his thoughts before he has read the entire thread, that can help us sort him, and help us later when we have more flips.

You seemed to miss that, as you were instructing him that it is within the rules to simply avoid voting, and you were explaining that his arguments and likely "herding" vote would not add to the discussion.

Possible you just had a snaptown read for some reason, but there wasn't much
(any?) reason for that. It is also possible that you simply reacted that way because you happen to know for a fact that Cruaader is Town.

I'll also note: if Cruaader is in fact Scum, I find this to be likely townclearing for Chippe. I would not expect Scum!Chippe to make a post with that underlying assumption after his partner finally entered the thread.

ChippeRock

#735 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Bozo, until you post something meaningful (in which case I will change my vote - unless what you say makes you seem scummy), I will ##VOTE bozo. Hopefully this provides you the proper motivation to share your reads and opinions on everyone in this game.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#736 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm

ChippeRock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 pm
You're overreading it - I, just like everybody else, instantly assumed that the noobs in this game were town (which isn't such a horrible assumption).

Connor has used the noob card to get strong townreads throughout - and while I won't comment on whether or not that's a correct read, neither him nor Cruaader have said enough to get themselves strong townreads.
Everyone else assumes that "the noobs in the game were town"? Who does that? I don't. I have never seen that assumption before. Why would anyone assume that? Why do you assume that?

Why do you keep bringing up Connor? I don't see what that has to do at all with Cruaader.

connorcompton

#737 Post by connorcompton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
As much as I appreciate this site's strong moderator staff, all three of my most reasonable kills right now are mods.

dargorygel, Foxcastle and TrPrado are all doing the umpire bit where they ask people questions about their posts but the questions largely don't go anywhere and they don't come to useful conclusions. Their votes are all not good either--either the lurking MoscowFleet or clear bait wagons like FlaviusAetius or ChippeRock--where they exist at all (Foxcastle has not voted).

Do any of them normally do this bit where they hover around the conversation of the thread and play 20 Questions but ultimately settle on weak votes?

~~~

connorcompton:
connorcompton wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:06 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Shall we play psychoanalyst? You don't think "let's kill some people" is a little cavalier for town? Seems more of a scum perspective to me.

Perhaps "I would love to be in jail" is a innate confession of someone who knows they are truly a criminal. Because criminals MUST go to prison, so if they must, the best thing to do is to anticipate it and welcome it.
Shall we play burn the Squigs witch? This is insane.
What did you mean by this post? I never got a clear understanding of what you were looking to accomplish here.
Ok, ok, ok. So sorry that post has seemed to have confused.
I came into this game with next to no knowledge of how Mafia is played, (not the rules, the social conventions) and here was Squigs making gut reads instantly. I was not aware this was not something he does all the time. I did not consider the possibility that he was anything but certain about his claims.

To the comment, it was an off-hand joke. I was amazed by what he was doing and decided that was the best way to express it.

ChippeRock

#738 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

The reason why folks were encouraging Cruaader to vote was not because we all crave his input about who is scum so that we can use his reasoning. The reason is that we want to know more about Cruaader's alignment and so even if he votes and shares his thoughts before he has read the entire thread, that can help us sort him, and help us later when we have more flips.

You seemed to miss that, as you were instructing him that it is within the rules to simply avoid voting, and you were explaining that his arguments and likely "herding" vote would not add to the discussion.

(any?) reason for that. It is also possible that you simply reacted that way because you happen to know for a fact that Cruaader is Town.

I'll also note: if Cruaader is in fact Scum, I find this to be likely townclearing for Chippe. I would not expect Scum!Chippe to make a post with that underlying assumption after his partner finally entered the thread.
I disagree, I don't think his vote means anything until he has read the whole thread and posted all of his thoughts & opinions.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#739 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

I would agree with this. I don’t put a ton of weight into scumreading Chippe for this as I think he is more obsessed with proving himself as town than anything else (which is not AI in this case) But if Crusader is scum I also think it very unlikely Chippe scum

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#740 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm

All my questions are going places. I’m just pacing myself.