agenda47-the-american-academy

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
brainbomb

agenda47-the-american-academy

#1 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 16, 2024 1:15 pm

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/agenda47/agenda47-the-american-academy
Under the plan I’m announcing today, we will take the billions and billions of dollars that we will collect by taxing, fining, and suing excessively large private university endowments, and we will then use that money to endow a new institution called the American Academy.
The plan is to sue existing universities by taxing and fining their existing endowments. This is a hilarious war on the University system, and I cant imagine this ever happening but kudos to trump for actually putting this out there. Does anyone think that this would ever even fly?

brainbomb

Re: agenda47-the-american-academy

#2 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 pm

This sounds like some nazi Germany shit on the rest of this page. But this line made me chuckle.

"It will be strictly non-political, and there will be no wokeness or jihadism allowed—none of that's going to be allowed. "

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 pm

It would be appreciated by the democratic nations of the world if the citizens of the United States of America could embrace and implement intelligent reforms to their nation.
Voting for much better independent, well educated politicians at all levels of government would significantly assist.
Reforms to election campaign financing and political lobbying laws, better gun control laws and a restructuring of the tax system are necessary in my opinion.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#4 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu May 16, 2024 2:58 pm

Trump's plan is clearly dumb, but huge university endowments in the US are a real issue.

Private institutions like Harvard still receive government money in the form of research grants, student financial aid, and tax-free status. At some point it's reasonable for taxpayers to ask whether such support is warranted for an institution that has amassed billions of its own tax-sheltered funds. It's reasonable to question whether any person or institution should be able to direct billions of dollars of funds that aren't taxed (I'd personally extend that argument to billionaires who pay very little in tax relative to their wealth too).

If the idea were just to tax some of the wealthiest private universities and/or to withhold the public support they recieve I might be on board. I think a dollar transferred from Harvard to some no-name state University would probably be a net good for society.

Of course, that doesn't sound like what this plan is all about lol — seems like it's clearly aimed at punishing perceived ideological enemies.

Congress might have the power to change the tax status of universities, though I suspect there would be legal complications. At a minimum, the new Trump administration could try to redirect any federal supports away from institutions that are perceived to have too big of an endowment. He's got a 50/50 chance of winning so maybe we'll see...

brainbomb

#5 Post by brainbomb » Thu May 16, 2024 4:50 pm

Hes talking about creating a free university where people can finish degrees they may have started years ago and they would get to have their credits recognized. This is a very incredible idea, and then he ruins it by adding that this will be the new recognized form of accreditation for all government hiring process. HAHA, like yea right buddy, im sure some half assed college he cooks up is going to be able to provide a quality education with scrap heap money from lawsuit winnings.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Trump has tried to create a "university" of his own once before. "Trump University", founded in 2005 and shut down in about 2011. It was a massive failure and it was prosecuted for fraud by the state of New York and targeted by class action lawsuits launched by students, which Trump settled out of court for a reported $25m in payouts to the students involved.

So his track record in this area is not very bigly.
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.

CaptainFritz28

#7 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:29 pm

That's a weird plan... like I get wanting to defund the institutions that are wasting taxpayer dollars, but putting them into a federally operated college that'll be just as useless? Seems pointless.
Ferre ad Finem!