20 Questions: Game 252

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Hominidae

Re: 20 Questions: Game 252

#41 Post by Hominidae » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:48 pm

Spartaculous wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:10 pm
wintergreen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm
Free guess: Betsy Ross, who made the first US flag.
Beat me to it! I just found Scottish nobility in her first husband's ancestry.
Funnily enough I was thinking about her third husband.
Spartaculous wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:15 pm
Hominidae wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:10 pm
wintergreen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm
Free guess: Betsy Ross, who made the first US flag.
You got it! (Well, whether she actually made the first US flag is a bit murky, but Betsy Ross is indeed the correct answer to this round.)
Another good pick by the QM.

Out of curiosity, obviously she is famous for politics/government; how would you have answered a straight-up "famous for inventing something" question?
I think I probably would have said "no" or maybe "pass" since there are probably a lot of people out there who think she invented the US flag.

However, I listened to a podcast episode that has some interesting information about Betsy Ross and the US flag, and makes a (tenuous, but plausible) case that she may have decided to give the US flag five-pointed rather than six-pointed stars, thereby popularizing that kind of star on heraldry around the world.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/flag-days-unfolding-a-moment/