MAFIA 49 -Avengers "Re-release"- GAME THREAD [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Temasek22

Re: MAFIA 49 -Avengers "Re-release"- GAME THREAD [HIDDEN]

#301 Post by Temasek22 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm
foodcoats wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm

What makes you scumread Kitsune?
Kitsune is too smart and organized to be this clueless. Even if he's specifically new to mafia, he's putting on a front.
Do you know Kitsune outside of game?
Tbf, Kitsune gives out the same vibe as Carambola last game, smart and organised, although Kitsune seems to be a much higher poster

BunnyGo

#302 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
BunnyGo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm
foodcoats wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:35 pm

What makes you scumread Kitsune?
Kitsune is too smart and organized to be this clueless. Even if he's specifically new to mafia, he's putting on a front.
Do you know Kitsune outside of game?
Not particularly, but I know he's helping to organize the nexus tournament. He's the moderator of the match I'm in, and has done a good job organizing and dealing with it (and the dropouts). So I'm inferring from those interactions.

foodcoats

#303 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:59 am
1. All players must vote at least once per game day, and post at least twice per game day.
I checked before I asked, hah.

And I found it.

Okay based on the fact that:

1. I have to vote for someone
2. I don’t know enough to point the finger with intent to kill
3. I don’t like the finger being pointed at me for being “too new” or whatever that means
4. I’m reasonably sure it won’t actually get him lynched

##vote damo666
Kitsune, I think you should be looking for good reasons to make a vote. Voting for damo because you have to vote and you think making the vote won't result in a lynch looks scummy, though I'm going to wait and see how you turn out.

In a similar vein I don't like that BunnyGo voted NoLynch, but as has been pointed out, this is a super incestuous meta and I'm not going to tunnel you two just because I don't know you. But I do think you should be looking for reasons to vote that aren't "this won't make a lynch." This helps everyone shape an idea about you. If you're town, that is how town acts. Avoiding being involved in the investigation is scummy.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#304 Post by rdrivera2005 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm
Game has been running for 15 hours.
Non-posters: Chaqa, KalelChase, yuuki.
Low posters: Espresso, Damo, Temask, Rdrivera.

LUUUUURKERS
Says the guy with 7 posts, and 3 were on last 15 minutes. Will not say you are garbage but this post stinks.
I'm always going on about lurkers. It's the only reason Jamiet likes me, I think.

Why did you react the way you did, Rdrivera?
Because I don't like hypocrisy. Calling out lurkers when your are also a lurker doesn't seems right. Not necessarily scummy, to be honest.

BunnyGo

#305 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:44 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 pm
Kitsune wrote:
1. All players must vote at least once per game day, and post at least twice per game day.

And I found it.

3. I don’t like the finger being pointed at me for being “too new” or whatever that means

##vote damo666
Kitsune, I think you should be looking for good reasons to make a vote. Voting for damo because you have to vote and you think making the vote won't result in a lynch looks scummy, though I'm going to wait and see how you turn out.

In a similar vein I don't like that BunnyGo voted NoLynch, but as has been pointed out, this is a super incestuous meta and I'm not going to tunnel you two just because I don't know you. But I do think you should be looking for reasons to vote that aren't "this won't make a lynch." This helps everyone shape an idea about you. If you're town, that is how town acts. Avoiding being involved in the investigation is scummy.
The votes seem to change pretty quickly based on what I've seen so far. I'm voting no lynch until I have a good reason. And it's pretty hard to have a good reason when all the references people make are to old games and old styles of play.

BunnyGo

#306 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 pm
Kitsune wrote:

And I found it.

##vote damo666

Anyone who wants to read me at this point, can. I was pretty up front about it.

brainbomb

#307 Post by brainbomb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

why did the game suddenly get so... toxic?

Vaporwave

#308 Post by Vaporwave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Replying to Temasek, Jamies and foodcoats, there was no explanation needed to vote Temasek, it was done on an impulse because I couldn't lean him in any direction and I would abhor to see him fly under radar

Temasek22 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 pm
Getting town vibes from xorx, emc and brain. While getting scum vibes from Vapor (I hope I'm not OMGUSsing) and Kitsune

Whatever... ##Vote Kitsune
I think you are

Foxcastle

#309 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

LUUUUURKERS
You uh... got a problem with lurking huh?
I go back and forth on it. I think that drawing the Day 1 lynch from the lowest quarter of posters has good odds of hitting scum (or at least incentivizes them to show up so we can find them)—better odds than town naturally finding scum through its usual fumbling, anyway.

But that will never actually happen, because not enough players would ever submit their egos to an actual process when their ids are screaming "IF WE JUST SHOUT LOUD ENOUGH ABOUT OUR GUT INSTINCTS, WE'LL WIN, RIGHT GUYS!"

foodcoats

#310 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

damo666 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:16 am
I strongly townread rdr.
damo, what makes you have a strong read on rivera?

BunnyGo

#311 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Foxcastle wrote:

LUUUUURKERS
You uh... got a problem with lurking huh?
I go back and forth on it. I think that drawing the Day 1 lynch from the lowest quarter of posters has good odds of hitting scum (or at least incentivizes them to show up so we can find them)—better odds than town naturally finding scum through its usual fumbling, anyway.

But that will never actually happen, because not enough players would ever submit their egos to an actual process when their ids are screaming "IF WE JUST SHOUT LOUD ENOUGH ABOUT OUR GUT INSTINCTS, WE'LL WIN, RIGHT GUYS!"
This is the first post all game I've really liked.

Kitsune

#312 Post by Kitsune » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm

To give BunnyGo credit, I am fairly smart and organised in most of my life.

That's not, to date, Mafia although I'll be entertained as all hell if I manage to get myself lynched on day 1 with my beginner nerves after specifically warning Ike it was going to happen when signing up :lol:

In face to face Werewolf the few times I've played it that manifests in awkwardness and laughter, especially when I'm pressed or forced to lie (which I'm generally lousy at, as my Dip opponents will attest).

Footcoats… I'm not going to get away with abstaining until I have a clearer picture on who I actually suspect, am I? I missed that NoLynch was an option, but if my confusion is interfering with the investigation then I guess I'll step up.

##unvote damo666

*proceeds to read through 16 pages of chatter*

Foxcastle

#313 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:44 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:

Says the guy with 7 posts, and 3 were on last 15 minutes. Will not say you are garbage but this post stinks.
I'm always going on about lurkers. It's the only reason Jamiet likes me, I think.

Why did you react the way you did, Rdrivera?
Because I don't like hypocrisy. Calling out lurkers when your are also a lurker doesn't seems right. Not necessarily scummy, to be honest.
I mean, I get that. And certainly you can use it to criticize me. But the point itself, that we should be looking at lurkers, is valuable on its own. Additionally, it raises the question: would scum-Foxcastle be so foolish as to call out lurkers and then simply stop at his own name? (The evidence is vanished, but that's what I did.)

BunnyGo

#314 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Don't bother. It's almost entirely gibberish.

foodcoats

#315 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
I think that drawing the Day 1 lynch from the lowest quarter of posters has good odds of hitting scum (or at least incentivizes them to show up so we can find them)—better odds than town naturally finding scum through its usual fumbling, anyway.
I agree with this. What seems to happen is that we get set to lynch a lurker and then something bananas happens and a high poster gets lynched instead. I have been involved in this collective insanity myself...

Although I hammed on you for the post now I actually think you bring up a good point. Often bringing up real strategies gets derailed here because people are so afraid that scum will manipulate any kind of strategic voting (cf. bozo's ideas getting shot to pieces every game... which is why it's so weird bozo doesn't have any big ideas for the webdipmaf gang to shoot to pieces this time). But maybe this is way for us to proceed D1.

foodcoats

#316 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Footcoats… I'm not going to get away with abstaining until I have a clearer picture on who I actually suspect, am I? I missed that NoLynch was an option, but if my confusion is interfering with the investigation then I guess I'll step up.

##unvote damo666

Unvoting is also not great. :razz:

Who do you think is the scummiest player right now?

Vaporwave

#317 Post by Vaporwave » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:55 pm

foodcoats wrote:
actually I was having similar thoughts. Rdrivera's entrance and subsequent posts felt so gutsy. I imagine he was posting them while riding a horse on a beach

Power!Bravery!And a sense of justice, instinctively I wanted to pick up my town rivera box but thankfully I stopped myself in time because I recalled how greatly he deceived me last game

foodcoats

#318 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
And it's pretty hard to have a good reason when all the references people make are to old games and old styles of play.
This is actually a very valid point. I'm still pretty new here but I've assimilated enough that I am now doing the thing I hated only a few games ago. I should probably not do that. As Neph pointed out it actually makes it very hard for new players to enjoy the game.

If I cast my mind out back to the thread, and I use the two heuristics that scum try to push agendas and/or try to be passively active or "blendy," and I focus on just stuff within this game - and this is off my memory of my reading the past hour, so more high level intuition than specifics - the pushiest player so far feels like brainbomb, and the most passive-active feels like Maniac.

To choose between them... brainbomb has a big meta advantage because of their play style. Scum tends not to NK brain, so scum!brain could merge into town for a long time without an investigation.

##VOTE brainbomb

foodcoats

#319 Post by foodcoats » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Vaporwave wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:55 pm
foodcoats wrote:
actually I was having similar thoughts. Rdrivera's entrance and subsequent posts felt so gutsy. I imagine he was posting them while riding a horse on a beach

Power!Bravery!And a sense of justice, instinctively I wanted to pick up my town rivera box but thankfully I stopped myself in time because I recalled how greatly he deceived me last game
Hah, okay. Perhaps the fact that I don't feel as good about rdr suggests they ARE town this time.

BunnyGo

#320 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:10 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
And it's pretty hard to have a good reason when all the references people make are to old games and old styles of play.
This is actually a very valid point. I'm still pretty new here but I've assimilated enough that I am now doing the thing I hated only a few games ago. I should probably not do that. As Neph pointed out it actually makes it very hard for new players to enjoy the game.

If I cast my mind out back to the thread, and I use the two heuristics that scum try to push agendas and/or try to be passively active or "blendy," and I focus on just stuff within this game - and this is off my memory of my reading the past hour, so more high level intuition than specifics - the pushiest player so far feels like brainbomb, and the most passive-active feels like Maniac.

To choose between them... brainbomb has a big meta advantage because of their play style. Scum tends not to NK brain, so scum!brain could merge into town for a long time without an investigation.

##VOTE brainbomb
Were I scum, I'd just forget and play like town. It's not that hard...that said, when you play f2f there's no scum chat. So I have no idea how that changes the game.