Free Custom Forum Avatars

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Esquire Bertissimmo

Free Custom Forum Avatars

#1 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:22 pm

I've become fascinated with Midjourney, but have no real reason to use it. I would therefore like to offer to make custom WebDip forum avatars for anyone interested!

How would this work:

Send me a private message on WebDip with a brief description of what you want your avatar to look like.

I'll create the images, scale them down, then share them with you via an open Google Drive (i.e., no need to share an email address).

We can go through a couple iterations if you're not satisfied, but I reserve the right to stop working on an image request that seems unworkable at my sole discretion.

A few things to keep in mind

I'm doing this for free and cannot guarantee a speedy reply.

The final photo can only be 90x90 pixels, which greatly limits the amount of detail that can be legibly shown.

Midjourney performs better when copying a well-known style or artist, so you may want to include these details in your request. If you don't know exactly what you want I can help propose some options.

I will not process requests for images that I believe would be unusually crude or offensive. I do, however, encourage you to propose odd or interesting ideas of you have them.

I will not share the original full scale image, just to ensure this service is only useful for the purpose of WebDip avatars.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

Re: Free Custom Forum Avatars

#2 Post by kestasjk » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm

Interesting idea. Have you used stable diffusion? Interested how it compares.

As I understand Midjourney is commercial and proprietary and can't be run locally, while stable diffusion is free and open source, lets you customize it and add plugins, use different models, combine models, etc, etc.. But from my toying with stable diffusion I have found you need to put a lot more effort in to get something decent than with more polished and commercial alternatives (which makes sense).

Esquire Bertissimmo

#3 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:06 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm
Interesting idea. Have you used stable diffusion? Interested how it compares.

As I understand Midjourney is commercial and proprietary and can't be run locally, while stable diffusion is free and open source, lets you customize it and add plugins, use different models, combine models, etc, etc.. But from my toying with stable diffusion I have found you need to put a lot more effort in to get something decent than with more polished and commercial alternatives (which makes sense).
In my limited experience, MidJouney is just way easier to use than Stable Diffusion.

I have read online that some folks find SD to be more customizable and better for very detailed prompts, but I'm somewhat doubtful that's true (at least for a lay user using the latest version of MJ). SD demands more time and attention while prompting, but I suspect that if a hobbyist were willing to spend the exact same amount of time and energy refining a prompt in both SD and MJ, the MJ photo would come out looking better.

The unique benefit of the latest version of MJ (5.2) is its truly remarkable ability to comprehend the intention behind a prompt. For me, part of the fun is seeing how it interprets odd phrases, unique descriptors, etc. I also like that MJ is implemented through Discord, as I do most of my prompting on my phone or on a cheap Chromebook.

All this said, SD is free and my MJ subscription is a frivolous expense.

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by kestasjk » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:36 pm

Well.. there's value to not needing your own beefy graphics card etc I suppose. Yeah I did get the sense SD is a lot more customizable but doesn't give great results without a lot of experimentation