Kevin Spacey

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Kevin Spacey

#1 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 21, 2024 10:14 pm

Should Kevin Spacey get a second chance at a career? It seems that people have written him off as a vile individual who clearly has some sketchy behavior. For a long time he was a renowned Actor in the industry until allegations of his misconduct with a minor surfaced. No charges were ever filed, and everything was dismissed, but does Kevin Spacey deserve to just hop back into movies again? Would you watch movies with him in them?

DreamTrawler

Re: Kevin Spacey

#2 Post by DreamTrawler » Tue May 21, 2024 10:31 pm

15 people have accused Spacey of sexual assault. He was charged in both the US and UK. He's been found not guilty so far but doesn't seem repentant and has released weird videos of himself villain monologuing as his House of Cards character. Also he's gone on Tucker Carlson in-character as well. So long story short, still seems like a sketchy guy and no I would not watch movies with him in them.

brainbomb

#3 Post by brainbomb » Tue May 21, 2024 10:34 pm

Okay im on your side that sounds alot worse than what I was aware of!

sweetandcool

#4 Post by sweetandcool » Tue May 21, 2024 10:37 pm

I don't think I can trust someone to GM Mafia games if they don't swear to never ever watch a Kevin Spacey movie.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by dargorygel » Tue May 21, 2024 11:42 pm

Wasn't Kevin Spacey George Jetson's boss? I didn't know he was in films...

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 am

It would be interesting to know what offers of work are being made to Kevin Spacey.
Johnny Depp has had his own controversial behaviours.

I have discussed in the Forum my path to becoming an actor and comedian at age 62 with no formal training or experience, the consequence of a tragic first responder on my own outside my home with my neighbour's gardener in April 2020.

I am in my fourth year of my pilgrimage as an actor and comedian and still at the unpaid volunteer level.

I work on low budget film projects as an unpaid volunteer, use outdoor garden hose showers etc.
I have recently committed to a murder mystery film project as an unpaid volunteer actor and production assistant for the next 9 to 12 months.
I will withdraw $Aus 10,000 from my modest Superannuation savings in July this year to fund my expenses for participating in this film project.

For the sceptics.. Google
Stone Cloud Pictures David Moore

Stone Cloud Pictures in Rosewater Adelaide should pop up from that search.

So I will flip the question about Kevin Spacey to personalise it as a hypothetical question.

Assume that in 12 months after the release of David Moore's murder mystery film I receive an offer of well paid acting work in a film project in Australia where I live and I would have a great support role alongside Kevin Spacey and other famous well established actors with a brilliant director and producer.

It's a fantastic script, big budget film project.

Should I accept the role?

What criteria do I use to make my decision?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 22, 2024 3:44 am

I don't think people who are not passionate, committed actors who have come from very ordinary backgrounds (not the offspring of famous acting family dynasties like Drew Barrymore or Robert Downey jnr) are not "beautiful young persons" and have endured years of struggle to achieve artistic and financial success can really understand what that life requires, the sacrifices that must be made by the aspiring actors.

Acting is a unique profession, unless you have experienced what is required for an unknown actor without advantages like being the child of an acting dynasty or similar advantages to achieve success then I would be very cautious about making judgements about the lives and behaviours of actors.

We have to be slightly (or more) insane to embrace the life of an actor in my opinion.
Willing to sacrifice a lot, leave family, friends, a normal life behind and it's a fkn lonely and daunting challenge.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#8 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Wed May 22, 2024 4:07 am

There are lots of hard vocations and no ones job entitles them to the occassional unwelcomed grope.

Other actors seem able to conduct themselves better than Spacey, or they at least exercise more discretion. I wouldn't want to be on set with a serial groper and it's a good thing that there are reputational and career harms for that sort of behaviour. My career prospects would also be diminished if I became known as a sexual harasser.

I'll probably rewatch the early seasons of House of Cards at some point because it was decent TV. Bad people make good art/entertainment all the time. But I'm not shedding any tears over Spacey being blacklisted unless it turns out that the complaints are all fabricated.

MajorMitchell

#9 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 22, 2024 12:58 pm

The axiom that power corrupts applies powerfully in the arts and entertainment capers. There should be no tolerance of sexual abuse or other forms of Oppression in.the arts and entertainment businesses.
Defending the human rights and intellectual property rights of creative artists is important.
It's good that criminals like Harvey Weinstein are exposed and prosecuted.
The exposure of Kevin Spacey's appalling treatment of young actors is a good thing in my opinion and he deserves the damage to his reputation.

Power and money can corrupt many humans to some degree.

I poses a hypothetical question.
If offered a well paid acting role in a film or TV mini series etc project with Kevin Spacey, do I or you take the role?

Depending on some criteria,
Eg. What is Kevin Spacey's role, just an actor, that's OK. If he's the producer
and director then no I would not audition.
Provided there are good Producers & Director, it's a good project, then I'd do it.

MajorMitchell

#10 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 22, 2024 1:05 pm

I learnt an interesting thing about acting today about how to.portray a character

The behaviours that people try to hide are often the ones that define them.
So if a person is for example, an alcoholic then many of that person's behaviours will be attempts to conceal their alcoholism.
Or a compulsive thief who often uses displays of being honest & charity to hide his kleptomania

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#11 Post by dargorygel » Wed May 22, 2024 1:17 pm

Good direction is key. But those are good concepts, MM

MajorMitchell

#12 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm

Thanks Dargorygel
I expect the Producers, director of any new project that gave an acting role to Kevin Spacey would have effective "management of Kevin Spacey" strategies and policies to ensure the safety of all.other cast and the crew etc.
The risk to them of litigation for negligence if Kevin Spacey assaulted a member of their cast, crew, audience etc would be a genuine concern so I would expect measures to be taken.
I would expect Kevin Spacey's behaviour with cast, crews and audiences to.ne improve, he would be intelligent enough to.know any further scandals involving him assaulting other actors, crew etc would be fatal.to his career