Mafia 85: Return from Lockdown

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
TheMadMonarch

Mafia 85: Return from Lockdown

#1 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:29 pm

INTRODUCTION

As covid and the lockdowns reside, the residents of a small apartment block return to work. But they have been alone for so long, and have forgotten who they were.

Luckily for them, they live in a rent-controlled building and have time to get back on their feet.

Unluckily for them, however, is a small group of the residents having ownership of the building. They would like everyone else "removed", so that they can raise the rent and capitalise on the housing crisis. Whether that's through being evicted, or other means, is not of importance.

These next few weeks will be of great importance to the fate of the building. Who will prevail?

Mafia is an educated guessing game of epic proportions. The objective of the game (for the town majority) is to kill all mafia members before they outnumber the rest of the town. The game is typically very active, so the thread will get big quickly. However, it is essential to read the thread to play the game.

The STANDARD RULES apply, which are at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1317 ... s05kv8seyu

VOTING

There are three types of voting within this game: collective voting to execute perceived Mafia in Day phases, collective voting to end a Day or Night phase, and Mafia voting to kill town members in Night phases.

“Daykill” vote: The first level of voting is for whom you intend to kill. Notate this vote with a pair of hash symbols before your intended vote target. (e.g., ##VOTE KESTAS) You do not need to spell out your intended target's username fully; as long as the GM can understand who you're referencing. In the event of a tie during an execution vote, no one shall be killed.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use double hashtags your vote will not be counted.

Must Vote: At the end of the Day phase, all participating players must have their vote on a candidate. You may ##VOTE and then ##UNVOTE if you change your mind as the Day progresses, however you may not end the phase with an ##UNVOTE in place. Anyone violating this rule will be modkilled unless there are very extenuating circumstances. Ending the day with a vote on “No Kill” is permitted.

Hammer Vote: The second level of voting is whether or not to employ the hammer mechanic. By default, days are set to 48 hours long, and nights to 24 hours long; however, players may instead elect to activate the hammer mechanic. Notate this vote with a pair of hashes before the word end. (EX: ##END). The day will end as soon as a majority of players are voting to endhammer the same player. If you are not able to vote before the hammer is dropped, you will not be penalized for failing to vote during that day. Night phases may not normally be hammered - any exception to this will be announced by the GM.

Mafia Vote: The third level of voting refers to Mafia members choosing their factional NK (nightkill) targets during Night phases. The mafia members will use their separate Discord thread to discuss this. Mafia NK will be decided by majority vote. In the event of a tie, the oldest vote will break the tie. The oldest vote determines which member of the Mafia team actually performs the kill.

GM TEAM
TheMadMonarch
Ghug

🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒

Please continue to not post

TheMadMonarch

Re: Mafia 85: Return from Lockdown

#2 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:39 pm

Setup details as follows:

15 PR vs 5 Mafia

In this game, all players will receive a role (some more useful than others), but they will not be told what it is. All roles work by PMing the name of a living player every night to be your Target. At the end of the night, you will receive a Return in the form of a PM from the GM, based on what your role is and what happened that night. Details of roles and their Returns listed below.

At the start of the game, all players will receive a PM with their team, but not their role. They are listed here:

Town:
You are the [REDACTED]. Every day you must vote for a player to be eliminated. Every night you may send a name to the GM to use your role on them. You will get a Return that [REDACTED]. You win when the Mafia are eliminated.
Mafia:
You are the Mafia [REDACTED]. Every day you must vote for a player to be eliminated. Every night you may send a name to the GM to use your role on them. You will get a Return that [REDACTED]. You will have access to the Mafia Chat on discord where you can discuss with your teammates and perform a factional Night Kill. You win when the Town are eliminated, or nothing can stop you from achieving that.
🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒🔒

The roles are:
1.Corrupt Cop
2.Sicko
3.Police Commissioner
4.DaDa Driver
5.E-Mail Hacker
6.Doctor
7.Detective
8.Internal Affairs
9.Private Investigator
10.Paper Delivery Boy
11.Ruber Driver
12.Mail Man
13.Curfew enforcer
14.Human Resources
15.Electoral Commision Officer
16.Middle Manager
17.News Host
18.Door-Darter
19.Polster
20.Lobbyist

The following is the role PMs for each role, which will explain the rules by which that role abides. The players will not receive these at the beginning, but there are means by which players can get them.

Mafia:

Corrupt Cop
You are the Corrupt Cop. You investigate someone and return your target's role.
Sicko
You are the Sicko. You cough on someone, forcing them to stay home and be unable to use their role. You return "success" or "faliure", as appropriate.
Police Commissioner
You are the Police Commissioner. You read reports on your target and their associates. You return the alignment of your target's target.
DaDa Driver
You are the DaDa Driver. You drive people around. You return the target of your target.
E-Mail Hacker
You are the E-Mail Hacker. You read someone's private information. You return a copy of your target's return

Town:

Doctor
You are the Doctor. You issue sound, trustworthy medical advice (among other things), and protect someone from being killed in the night. You return "success" or "failure", as appropriate.
Detective
You are the Detective. You investigate a player and return their alignment.
Internal Affairs
You are the Internal Affairs agent. You consistently fail to find police wrongdoing, and consequently your scans can only return "town".
Private Investigator
You are the Private Investigator. You snoop around in a player's buisness and return their role. Mafia targets will return a town role with the same or similar powers.
Paper Delivery Boy
You are the Paper Delivery Boy. You deliver a newspaper subscription to a target, including their name, which will remind them who they are. They will get an additional message with their role PM. Returns "delivered" or "undelivered", as appropriate.
Ruber Driver
You are the Ruber Driver. You drive people to and from where they need to go. You return the target of your target.
Mail Man
You are the Mail Man. You take a sneaky peak at people's mail as you deliver it. You return what your target returned.
Curfew Enforcer
You are the curfew enforcer. You monitor the corridors and ensure your target is staying inside, preventing them from using their night action. You return "success" or "failure", as appropriate.
Human Resources
You are the Human Resources manager. You decide who works from home. Your target is safe in their apartment and cannot have actions used on them, or use their action. You return "success" or "failure", as appropriate.
Electoral Commission Officer
You are the Electoral Commission Officer. You know the party of the candidates to be voted for. You return the alignment of the person your target voted for in the last day phase.
Middle Manager
You are the Middle Manager. You see what projects people are working on. You return the role of your target's target.
News Host
You are the News Host. You perform investigative journalism and then tell everyone your target's return on your breakfast news show. Responsible journalistic practices prevent you from revealing the name of your source. You return "success" or "failure", as appropriate.
Door Darter
You are the Door-Darter. You you deliver a delicious dinner to someone in the building. They will receive an additional PM with the food. You return "delivered" or "undelivered", as appropriate.
Pollster
You are the Pollster. You poll your target and find out how they voted in the last election, and return who they voted for in the previous day phase.
Lobbyist
You are the Lobbyist. You spend time and money for your target to make their voice heard, doubling the power of their vote in the next day phase. They will not know their vote has been doubled, and the additional vote will only be displayed as a 1 higher count for the appropriate wagon at EOD. You return "success" or "failure", as appropriate.

TheMadMonarch

#3 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:39 pm

Still no posting!

TheMadMonarch

#4 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:41 pm

Additional Rules:

This is the order of operations:
1 Human Resources
2 Curfew enforcer
3 Sicko
4 Doctor
5 Detective
6 Electoral Commission Officer
7 Internal Affairs
8 Private Investigator
9 Middle Manager
10 Corrupt Cop
11 Police Commissioner
12 Ruber Driver
13 Pollster
14 DaDa Driver
15 Mafia NK
16 Gerrymander-er
17 Lobbyist
18 Door-Darter
19 Paper Delivery Boy
20 News Host
21 E-Mail Hacker
22 Mail Man

If you get NK'd and your role is number 16-22, you won't perform it.

There is no "you have been roleblocked" message. If your role would normally receive a result of some kind, you will receive a "failure" message if it can't be performed for any reason (RB, protection, etc).

You cannot self-target.

TheMadMonarch

#5 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:43 pm

Game will begin at 9am AEST (11:00 PM GMT; 6:00PM EST; 3:00PM PST).

Which is a bit over an hour away.

Continue to not post.

TheMadMonarch

#6 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Important to note. Minimum 1 post required per day phase.

TheMadMonarch

#7 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:00 pm

Day has begun.
🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓🔓
You may now post

Kakarroto

#8 Post by Kakarroto » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:01 pm

He couldn't believe it; it was finally time!

Before the big incident, he got an invitation to the Webb-Dip Academy, the most prestigious school on the planet, named after the inventors of the instant transfer maneuver which revolutionized travel. But just when he was ready to attend, all classes have been cancelled and guidance was postponed.

But now, that lockdown was finally over and he entered the big entrance door of the academy. Only a handful of other students where here, but it didn't matter to him, he was finally in here and enjoyed every moment. He couldn't wait for class to finally start!

He rushed inside, looking for where he supposed to be. After a few turns, he arrived inside his designated classroom and admired the look. The windows! The blackboard! The tables! Everything looked so ... Webb-Dip! It was like a dream.

After a bit, he chose a nice place to sit down, watching others to arrive, some chatting with each other. He nearly jumped back when suddenly the door was pushed open with a force that could easily pulverize a human. After the dust had settled, a young woman in businesslike clothes entered, slowly walking to the teachers desk.

"Alright, you rowdies, shut up and listen!" she screamed at the people present, even when everyone was silent from the moment the door crashed open. "You are all here because you got an invitation, right?!?" Most people nodded. "One sight of you should be enough for anyone to realize, that it wasn't because of what you accomplished, but what you are!" she yelled in a kind of mean way. Though while he looked around, he kinda understood what she meant, there seemed to be a few misfits around which didn't seem to fit with the academy's image. He also wondered a bit, what exactly it was that deserved his own invitation, but he always just thought, he had been lucky. And what did she mean with what they were?

She meanly grinned again. "Well, for those of you who still don't know, the state put you all in here because you own a power of unknown potential! So you were all taken from your previous life and put together here in this special school to prevent any outsiders of getting hurt!" He was perplexed. A power? That sounded ridiculous. In his whole life he didn't encounter any of that, that just sounded like some stupid comic story. No way that the state could've been hiding a school like that, let alone the existance of people with powers.

One of the other students stood up. "This doesn't sound realistic, you have to be joking." She looked pissed at the guy, then lifted her table up with one hand and threw it with unspeakable ease and speed towards the guy, who could just stare at it happening frozen. A giant dust cloud filled the room, but after it settled, the guy still stood there unchanged. Well, not entirely, he started to shake and a small horizontal cut appeared on his cheek, just below his eyes. Then he fell down to his knees and seemed to zone out. "Never question me again, the next time I'm not going to miss!" she yelled at him angrily.

"So then, your life will be restricted on these grounds, all your belongings had been transferred into dorms, check them out later! You are not allowed to leave for any reason! This is for your sake AND the sake of everyone else! Any violation will have severe consequences!" He looked at the guy still babbling jibberish to himself. "And don't think about contacting your family, you all are officially dead! Now go to your dorms and wait for further instructions!" She gave one last menacing look, then stormed out the classroom.

He felt devastated, that was the prestigious Webb-Dip Academy? He was ever told that he could learn any subject he desired here and it produced the best minds of the time, this was not at all what he expected. A school full of powers? The state hiding all of that? He would've thought everyone crazy to even suggest something like that. But it seems to be true. He felt awful coming from a lockdown to going into another one, but he couldn't change that. Now the next question was: what is his own power?

TheMadMonarch

#9 Post by TheMadMonarch » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:01 pm

The Mafia tracker bot is available here: http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/front_page

Please note, it's not operational right now, but it will be able to track votes on postings and all sorts in the future.

JustAGuyNamedWill

#10 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:03 pm

Cheers to Mafia 85!

foodcoats

#11 Post by foodcoats » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:03 pm

##VOTE Kakarroto

Jamiet99uk

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:04 pm

Good evening, Fellow Townspeople. I am excited that the game is here. This setup is cRaZy.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

sweetandcool

#13 Post by sweetandcool » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:05 pm

Hey, what's going on?! My PM got messed up. It says that my role is [REDACTED] instead of telling me what it is. The GM must have accidentally left it as a placeholder.

All I know is my alignment is town, but I'd really like to know my role too.

JustAGuyNamedWill

#14 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 pm

sweetandcool wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:05 pm
Hey, what's going on?! My PM got messed up. It says that my role is [REDACTED] instead of telling me what it is. The GM must have accidentally left it as a placeholder.

Lies.

heartthrob24909

#15 Post by heartthrob24909 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 pm

Idk what's scarier, this game setup or the fact that I'm going on a field trip to the Nether tonight with friends of mine who actually played Minecraft as kids

heartthrob24909

#16 Post by heartthrob24909 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:08 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:04 pm
Good evening, Fellow Townspeople. I am excited that the game is here. This setup is cRaZy.
Jamie uses 5 different colors in this post. There are 5 mafia teammates. I'm getting chills you guys

sweetandcool

#17 Post by sweetandcool » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:09 pm

Also, fun fact: my first child was born at the beginning of lockdown. Actually, a touch before they started limiting visitors, so I got to stay, but my poor in-laws could only view our baby from the hospital window.

Jamiet99uk

#18 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:10 pm

sweetandcool wrote:
Hey, what's going on?! My PM got messed up. It says that my role is [VERY EVIL] instead of telling me what it is. The GM must have accidentally left it as a placeholder.

All I know is my alignment is [REDACTED], but I'd really like to know my role too.
I wonder if the setup says anything about this?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

sweetandcool

#19 Post by sweetandcool » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:10 pm

JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 pm
sweetandcool wrote:

Lies.
If you're not Mafia, you'd be willing to share with us your role.

Go on, I'm waiting.....

heartthrob24909

#20 Post by heartthrob24909 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:10 pm

sweetandcool wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:10 pm
JustAGuyNamedWill wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 pm
sweetandcool wrote:

Lies.
If you're not Mafia, you'd be willing to share with us your role.

Go on, I'm waiting.....
His silence is deafening