Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
EspressoPatronum

Re: Mafia 46 - Ace Attorney - GAME THREAD

#561 Post by EspressoPatronum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am

Tom Bombadil wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
Espresso - you’ve played mafia before I assume? I know someone said you played a game here recently - was that your first?

Yes and yes. M1007 was my first forum game. I've done a few online games such as town of Salem, and I've played a ton of IRL Werewolf.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#562 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:55 am

EspressoPatronum wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:
Espresso - you’ve played mafia before I assume? I know someone said you played a game here recently - was that your first?

Yes and yes. M1007 was my first forum game. I've done a few online games such as town of Salem, and I've played a ton of IRL Werewolf.
Do you think the forum mechanics adds (or subtracts) anything particular to Mafia-style games? I have only played at Epic (ick) and have nothing to compare...

Also... aside from chippe... any good reads?

EspressoPatronum

#563 Post by EspressoPatronum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:55 am
EspressoPatronum wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am
Tom Bombadil wrote:

Do you think the forum mechanics adds (or subtracts) anything particular to Mafia-style games? I have only played at Epic (ick) and have nothing to compare...

Also... aside from chippe... any good reads?
Forum adds the ability to go back and read through messages. As a result, the game tends to be more analytic. I'm still getting used to this aspect, but I imagine it will become familiar after a few more games.

Forum unfortunately loses the body language aspect that you get IRL.

I'd say it balances out. I prefer in-person, but that's probably because I'm more familiar with it.

Heading to work soon. I'll type up a few reads later tonight.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#564 Post by dargorygel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:05 pm

@Tom
Hi! We could talk about that grand day of our most excellent work in the past, or I could ask you what you think about Flavius' sudden knowledge that the Great Balki is Great... do you find that suspicious?

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#565 Post by rdrivera2005 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 pm
Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:21 pm
To elaborate, I think your concern makes a lot of sense if we are 3-4 days into the game and he is still naming too many scumreads and he is still giving reads disconnected from each other.
Demanding that his scumreads all make sense together 4 hours into the game is a bit much for me. It’s entirely too early to be able to conduct that kind of analysis.
He should be working toward it, and I dislike that he left without explaining his reads list, but I don’t think this is a fair critique of him.
But that's not my main reason for scumreading him at all.

He has been defensive and cares too much about what other people think. He isn't solving, he is pleasing people.
I didn’t say it was. It is a critique you made which didn’t sit right with me at all.

So far your case on Flavius has been:
- He’s defensive in reaction to criticism
- He “lied” about your read on Foxcastle
- He is thinking about individuals and not a team

I think one of these things is not true, and none of these are inherently scummy behavior. People, especially young people like Flavius and especially newer players, get flustered and defensive when criticized, regardless of alignment.

If you don’t like Flavius’s reads, why can’t I find you asking him any questions about them to figure out his alignment?

And despite calling him scummy repeatedly you will not vote for him. And now you have moved onto an easy bait lynch. I don’t buy it.

##VOTE: Squigs44
Great post. I have the same feeling about Squigs. Look to me as he is usually obvious as scum so he is trying a new (scum) tactic.

Foxcastle

#566 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Damo is looking at the thread. I assume he is catching up and will post something this morning. If he doesn't, that's worrying.

Foxcastle

#567 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm

And Bozo is back! We're all* very** curious** about your vote, Bozo.

[* Those of us interested in the game, anyway]
[** Probably not very, but we want to know because of the game]
[*** Are we even curious? I guess we need to know if it's a policy lynch on Chippe or an actual scum read]

Percy Williams

#568 Post by Percy Williams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:46 pm

@Bozo you must post at least twice. Grace us with your Presence.

Foxcastle

#569 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Squigs does not like playing scum, worries about playing scum, but does not create new personas for playing scum. Does create new personas for playing town. The thing with checking his gut because some other guy was slightly better than average doesn't strike me as... I dunno. I don't want to say it's scummy, because I could see him coming off his third place in the MU championship with a nice confidence boost and picking that up and running with it. However, it does require town-Squigs to think that he is also going to be better than average, and I think that's different from his more cautious town meta. However, scum-Squigs could just run with it, because obviously.

Hey Squigs, what roles did you play in the MU championship, what roles did you really excel with to get to third, and do you think you're riding a confidence boost here in M46?

Foxcastle

#570 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Sigh. Stupid not closing italics tag. [/ i]

Foxcastle

#571 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Why aren't ND and Durga going at it like battle cats yet?

I think ND creates a new persona for each game. I wonder if he has a spreadsheet of all of them, or if he just looks up "angry" in the thesaurus and picks randomly from the list.

So far, I don't see much to go on in his play. He's a good player, could go either way.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#572 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:05 pm
@Tom
Hi! We could talk about that grand day of our most excellent work in the past, or I could ask you what you think about Flavius' sudden knowledge that the Great Balki is Great... do you find that suspicious?
Yes, I find it quite suspicious.

Foxcastle

#573 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Despite GM'ing Flavius in the last game, I didn't really read anything he posted*, but I know he kinda went wild, so I'm being cautious about what looks like a scummy start from him.

[* I didn't read anyone closely, for that matter. I just skimmed the thread for gm calls and then processed phases. It was a nice change.]

et

#574 Post by et » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm

@Tom
Please tell me why you vote TRP?

Percy Williams

#575 Post by Percy Williams » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm

##VOTE Bozo
I don't know what he's playing at, but I don't like it.

worcej

#576 Post by worcej » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Durga wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 am
##call GM - can you please clarify whether
a) chippe has broken the rules
b) chippe would break the rules if he stopped being vague
c) if there's a way to confirm that someone is VT without their death or a PR interference
GM NOTE:
a) Chippe has yet to break any rules.
b) I can't say yes or no to that.
c) From a mechanics and setup standpoint, I fundamentally believe the game is safe and not breakable.

teacon7

#577 Post by teacon7 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 pm

So I'm back and catching up, likely with summaries. I'll keep this tab open to see the thread live while I do. AMA.

Foxcastle

#578 Post by Foxcastle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Not super excited about Percy's play. It seems very participatory without actually being useful. (Something I get accused of all the time.)

Example: asking somebody else to count up Squigs' scum reads. If you think that could be scummy, why not do it yourself and see rather than shading?

The whole thing between him and Carl about the jailer seems off to me, too.

Based on [urlhttp://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=80220#p80220]this interaction[/url], I don't think Percy and Flavius are both scum, though.
Percy Williams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm
##VOTE Bozo
I don't know what he's playing at, but I don't like it.
And then the Bozo vote. This looks like trying to create suspicion ("yeah... what's he playing at!") but you can come back later with plausible deniability that this is a pressure vote, or something.

Jamiet99uk

#579 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

VOTE COUNT 1.1

ChippeRock (5) - TrPrado, bozotheclown, EspressoPatronum, Durga(END), Carl Tuckerson
MoscowFleet (2) - teacon7, dargorygel
FlaviusAetius (1) - Balki Bartokomous
TrPrado (1) - Tom Bombadil
Squigs44 (1) - ChippeRock
bozotheclown (1) Percy Williams

Unvoted - Squigs44

CHIPPEROCK is scheduled to be lynched.

Just over 29 hours remain in D1.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#580 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

et wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:18 pm
@Tom
Please tell me why you vote TRP?

I don’t scumread ChippeRock and needed to put my vote elsewhere. His observation about ND felt unnatural and I don’t know what it accomplished besides trying to get other people to take up the torch against ND who is one of the most lynchable players in every game he is in.