MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
TheFlyingBoat

Re: MAFIA 78: Random Facts [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#1181 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:59 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 pm
President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:19 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:13 pm

There seems to be some attempts here to evaluate even at a time when most of the posts were just vibes and nonsense.
I got the opposite impression, but I think the start of game stuff can reasonably be interpreted either way. If it were just earlygame ~vibes~ that wouldn’t matter enough to vote either way at this point.

I’m more bothered by the fact that he’s camping on a lurker and claiming it’s a pressure vote when the substance of what swordsman HAS posted clearly suggests that type of pressure isn’t going to work. Swordsman may not even be aware he’s being voted lol… It just looks like the type of plausibly “staying busy” play I expect mafia to be making right now
yes this is not for me to defend. TFB can defend that and explain who his scumreads are. thats fine
Tbf I explained I thought BK was giving scummy vibes earlier, I think some of the inactives trying to coast are scum and I think Damo might be.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1182 Post by ghug » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:00 pm

damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm

Who are on your townpool? Mine isn't that big: Bona, Koala, Bozo, Brain, maybe Ghug.
Why Chaqa is on your towncore?
Chip pottle
He spelled it wrong while claiming scum?

damo666

#1183 Post by damo666 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:01 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:00 pm
damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Why Chaqa is on your towncore?
Chip pottle
He spelled it wrong while claiming scum?
Yep

brainbomb

#1184 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:01 pm

I disagree on damo for a variety of personal reasons from past experiences. do you have a scumteam composition? like a top four?

mine is like
chaqa
bunny
maybe BK based on a few things
maybe ghug
maybe lfishcl
maybe bozo

something like that would help me to decide if I want to keep pushing chaqa or bunny today and settle for one of those

damo666

#1185 Post by damo666 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:01 pm

I don't think Bunny is scum

##vote lfischl

TheFlyingBoat

#1186 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:02 pm

President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:58 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:53 pm
Is flyingboat a very helpful town player? what is he doing differently?
It’s been a while but my recollection is that he has very good mechanical reasoning and execution (a long time back, he got put in an awful mechanical spot in a multiball game and schemed up a brilliant play to try to tie the vote and force mafia into a prisoner’s dilemma) and he’s willing to put in a lot of work to catch people.

He’s also just generally a pretty smart guy, notwithstanding his alma mater

I think most of my suspicion is me expecting more from him. Like if Bona were just cruising and not asking any good questions of people, I’d suspect him for that but not others. Same deal. Boat is better than what he’s putting out
Awww shucks Eden you make this grown cry

brainbomb

#1187 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:03 pm

##vote BK

TheFlyingBoat

#1188 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:03 pm

President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:02 pm
President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:58 pm

It’s been a while but my recollection is that he has very good mechanical reasoning and execution (a long time back, he got put in an awful mechanical spot in a multiball game and schemed up a brilliant play to try to tie the vote and force mafia into a prisoner’s dilemma) and he’s willing to put in a lot of work to catch people.

He’s also just generally a pretty smart guy, notwithstanding his alma mater

I think most of my suspicion is me expecting more from him. Like if Bona were just cruising and not asking any good questions of people, I’d suspect him for that but not others. Same deal. Boat is better than what he’s putting out
so based on expectation vs output and result
you would say
TFB = high expectation (with low result)
Bunny = high to mid expectation? (has a low result but not as low as tfb?)
chaqa = ??

I guess im just trying to put it down on paper that you genuinely expect better play from theflying boat than you do from
a veteran like bunny or chaqa
I don’t think they’re directly comparable. I don’t remember how many games you’ve played with town Boat but that guy puts in a lot of effort questioning people and detailing his reads. His ‘pressure vote’ on swords is considerably less than what I think he would be doing to pressure swords as town. (Never mind that I highly doubt this form of ‘pressure’ is even effective anyway given swords’s professed difficulty in keeping up.) Boat is kind of like me or Bona where volume is indicative of effort and engagement and a lack of either is indicative of scum.

Chaqa on the other hand will usually have a decent voting record but is notorious for barely ever explaining himself. It wasn’t that long ago that he sardonically used “because” in every sentence to open a game because he was told he would become 1000% more effective if he used because sentences to explain himself… the guy just doesn’t spew volumes the way Boat or Bona or I do. So the lack of that isn’t indicative to me. I still think he’s a good vote because he’s pointedly not doing anything and doesn’t seem to want to do anything, but it’s a different context than Boat.

As for Bunny I’m just going to cop to the fact that I barely read his past two games despite GMing one and co-GMing the other 8-) and say that I don’t have much in the way of personalized expectations with him, so I don’t feel as strongly as you seem to feel about his play. But I generally agree he’s been forgettable so I’m willing to go with the group on this one.
Tbf my detailed read wall posts really only come out EoN 1 and are at their best EoN 2

TheFlyingBoat

#1189 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:05 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm
Chaqa wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:05 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:41 pm

so just to point out at the time this post was made, bona is leading post totals at over 130, and is keeping pace at nearly 30 more posts than me or eden.

after myself and eden, there are 4 other players with more posts than flying boat. one of which is you, chaqa with more posts by 1 than flying boat.

if its words per posts flying boat is well below at least 9-12 other players. if its characters per post hes well below even BK and many others.

so of all the things you said here, accusing flying boat of posting too much or spamming is very indicative of you not reading the thread, and not looking at the bot whatsoever and generally not paying attention.
Or is it indicative of you not having played with his giant walls of text before?

Is it weird that chaqa advocated for vig to shoot among the top three posters when TFB was actually 7th? lower in posting than even himself at the time?

bona and ghug had more posts than tfb at this time also

and then to describe tfb playstyle as giant walls of text which unless
im losing it, has not even happened.
In defense of Chaqa (ewww) he is right that I tend to wall post but that’s only true later when I have a lot more to go off of on refs and vca

brainbomb

#1190 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:05 pm

ghug isnt addressing that I keep listing him as scum now so maybe it has some validity. or maybe if he was scum he would be like brain, dont go back to doing all that again, I thought we retired that stuff ages ago

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1191 Post by ghug » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:06 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:33 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm
Bunny was just a rvs for me at game start.

and then he started posting and opens the game with a chaqa vote and a hammer which I assumed was carryover of some joke from another game.
but the vote never moved and bunny has asked a number of very softball questions to people. All of this under the alleged new meta from
last game where he does very little and has his best town game ever by doing nothing.
problem is the game were in now is not in a good gamestate. and someone like bunny is great for dialogue and solving. were stuck with bunny neutering himself to develop some new meta gambit instead of helping town, instead of solving, instead of being present.

thats my argument
And here I agree with you. Bunny last game was posting less then one bunny but was still a presence on the game. This game Bunny is just forgettable (I don't remember much about him).
This resonates with me but I can't decide if it's just that everyone's less memorable when there's so much more posting.

BK3K

#1192 Post by BK3K » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:55 pm
BK3K wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:34 pm
bishkek 3000 report in please
I don't have strong feelings towards either side, except murderous flum.

Mild town feelings for bona, ghug, Eden, RIP Jamie,

Not sure how to feel about TFB, he is probing quite a bit which is good.

Otherwise very filled with doubt. This game is tough!
Why waste time adding Jamie to the list? Just an attempt to make a weak joke, pad the thin reads list, or something else?
I guess both your suggestions. You all are very strong arguers and i don't feel sorry confident about anyone. I feel I'm more swayed by others posting then my own opinions.

I'm voting chaqa for bad behavior and also I'm in the office today and don't have to much time to really think and change my opinion

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#1193 Post by rdrivera2005 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:55 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm
damo666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:02 pm

The thing is I've now got such a wide townpool my scum POE is pretty narrow.
Who are on your townpool? Mine isn't that big: Bona, Koala, Bozo, Brain, maybe Ghug.
How the fuck is bozo in your towncore?
I think you are jealous I included him and gave you a maybe.

Anyway, basically because if this. Scum Bozo doesn't answer this way.
bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:30 am
bozotheclown wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:26 am

Yes, I have read everything.

I find the lack of any explanation for not posting for so long after a couple folks, myself included, explicitly questioned your absence amidst said "everything" Suspicious. Probably only mildly suspicious though.
If I gave an explanation, it would probably seem mildly suspicious also.

brainbomb

#1194 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm

BK not wanting to eliminate bunny because thats the only person he knows in the game sort of illustrates that they arent playing the game from a town perspective. If I knew someone else in the game I would want to solve their alignment first as id have the most info on that person.

So I think thats more BK not wanting to alert bunny in any way or BK not wanting to elim a scum partner. either way

TheFlyingBoat

#1195 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:08 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:17 pm
TFB, are you still playing that survivor game?
No I just got evicted from BBH :cry: just hanging out in the jury room as we approach the Finale

BunnyGo

#1196 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:10 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:57 pm
Otherwise very filled with doubt. This game is tough!
Yea not a fan of that line. that seems kind of fake even for a new person.

something that a person thinks they need to say when playing as scum but its also tongue in cheek. The game isnt even really that hard when people collaborate.

Ill ponder this. good catch
Really wish you hadn’t clipped the speaker. I’m playing on phone and hard to search

brainbomb

#1197 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:10 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:06 pm
rdrivera2005 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:33 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:25 pm
Bunny was just a rvs for me at game start.

and then he started posting and opens the game with a chaqa vote and a hammer which I assumed was carryover of some joke from another game.
but the vote never moved and bunny has asked a number of very softball questions to people. All of this under the alleged new meta from
last game where he does very little and has his best town game ever by doing nothing.
problem is the game were in now is not in a good gamestate. and someone like bunny is great for dialogue and solving. were stuck with bunny neutering himself to develop some new meta gambit instead of helping town, instead of solving, instead of being present.

thats my argument
And here I agree with you. Bunny last game was posting less then one bunny but was still a presence on the game. This game Bunny is just forgettable (I don't remember much about him).
This resonates with me but I can't decide if it's just that everyone's less memorable when there's so much more posting.
youre the 4th highest poster so this seems like smoke and mirrors. I dont think this is the first time youve mentioned the games volume as being offputting to newcomers. and despite this you yourself are a contributor to the alleged problem you seem to keep referencing.

I dont have a problem with you talking, I like when you talk. this just feels like trying to present an existential problem that isnt really a problem.

if volume is a problem make a fucking post cap amount like a normal mafia forum. cap it at 100 posts. simple. done.

then this would never be an issue. dont expect discretion when there are no consequences to shirking discretion.

rant there sorry.

are you feeling okay this game? why arent you challenging me on anything I say?

BunnyGo

#1198 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:11 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:59 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 pm
President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:19 pm

I got the opposite impression, but I think the start of game stuff can reasonably be interpreted either way. If it were just earlygame ~vibes~ that wouldn’t matter enough to vote either way at this point.

I’m more bothered by the fact that he’s camping on a lurker and claiming it’s a pressure vote when the substance of what swordsman HAS posted clearly suggests that type of pressure isn’t going to work. Swordsman may not even be aware he’s being voted lol… It just looks like the type of plausibly “staying busy” play I expect mafia to be making right now
yes this is not for me to defend. TFB can defend that and explain who his scumreads are. thats fine
Tbf I explained I thought BK was giving scummy vibes earlier, I think some of the inactives trying to coast are scum and I think Damo might be.
Does he seem bored? A little.

Does his math suck? A lot

You may be on to something

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1199 Post by ghug » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:12 pm

President Eden wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:35 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:28 pm
I have a theory that chaqa didnt really wanna play and randed scum. and bunny is the godfather. so the unspoken plan was always to just bus the shit out of chaqa who hates being scum or something along those lines
I buy that Chaqa didn’t really want to play, and I think his behavior is plausibly indicative of a combination of him rolling scum and saying fuck it + him believing no one would actually call his bluff about wanting to be dayvigged so he wouldn’t be screwing over his teammates.

I’m not as sure how Bunny fits into that though. Unless mafia had a pregame chat, it seems like Bunny would have to know in advance that Chaqa was going to do this in order to capitalize. Obviously he could figure out from the thread that Chaqa was disinterested as we all have, but your framing sounds a little more premeditated than that, unless I’m misunderstanding you
I think Chaqa's much more likely to not try as dejected town though, don't you?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#1200 Post by ghug » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:13 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 pm
No I think its more like Godfather Bunny was always going to bus a teammate and who better than someone like chaqa. and just go with it.

it wouldnt be possible to plan it other than in ones own head. “yea im gonna just bus the shit out of chaqa this game”
Vintage brain here.