MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#501 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:33 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:20 am
@ghug, what do you think of my night voting gambler plan?
Pardon me, but I'll chime in since I just saw this on my way out. I was reading the Gambler stuff last night and had mixed feelings. Like, what a very unpredictable role.

However...and this is copying and pasting your plan:
Let’s do a binding vote during this night phase about who we chop tomorrow. Then we end hammer tomorrow the leading vote getter (narrow exception here if results of night actions reveals a wolf).

This way, we ensure that our gambler (if we have one) gets their items, and we vote to kill at a time when a greater majority of the game is Town.

I really like this given the hour and my level of substance toxicity. It didn't occur to me last night how to make this role work, but I think you're on to something.

Now...hear me out here, is there a benefit to having someone volunteer to be axed? To get a vote (randomly, or whatever...maybe I am missing something in your use of the word 'binding'...) might wind up pulling up a town PR, which would not be good.

So what is the alternative? I know what I think it would be but I don't want to lead anyone. It's a good idea requiring further conversation.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#502 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:35 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 am

What makes you think Koala is town?
Christ, you're not going to let me get to bed, are you?

To the question, just the gut. A lot of "not knowing" of things. I think a new scum player would play it a little bit closer and not be as transparent. Then again, I've been wrong all day.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#503 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:41 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 am
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
##VOTE worcej

But I don't think anyone's actually going to hold to it, so it's likely pointless.
Isn’t it a huge advantage to get our Gambler an item? And wouldn’t we have a better voting bloc before the NK?

I think we should consider the night vote binding. I would hammer the day after everyone checks in.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#504 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:44 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:41 am
ghug wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
##VOTE worcej

But I don't think anyone's actually going to hold to it, so it's likely pointless.
Isn’t it a huge advantage to get our Gambler an item? And wouldn’t we have a better voting bloc before the NK?

I think we should consider the night vote binding. I would hammer the day after everyone checks in.
We need like two townies to dissent and the whole thing comes crashing down. I'm all for trying it (in which case, we need to actually be playing the game tonight). It's just that in my experience, this sort of thing never works.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#505 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:46 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:44 am
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ghug wrote:

##VOTE worcej

We need like two townies to dissent and the whole thing comes crashing down. I'm all for trying it (in which case, we need to actually be playing the game tonight). It's just that in my experience, this sort of thing never works.
So long as the majority considers it binding, it’s binding. And it actually matters because we’ll know our gambler (if we have one) will put a chip on the person we vote tonight.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#506 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:46 am
ghug wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

So long as the majority considers it binding, it’s binding. And it actually matters because we’ll know our gambler (if we have one) will put a chip on the person we vote tonight.
If a weak majority considers in binding and someone wins a vote with a small plurality, you're going to have more people backing out and/or you're not going to have a very useful vote for informational purposes, either of which undoes any gains of the whole thing.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#507 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 am
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
ghug wrote:

If a weak majority considers in binding and someone wins a vote with a small plurality, you're going to have more people backing out and/or you're not going to have a very useful vote for informational purposes, either of which undoes any gains of the whole thing.
We’ll gain our info from tonight’s vote.

Separate question: why on earth would Town!ghug try to delegitimize this plan? It’s only binding and effective to the extent we treat it as binding.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#508 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:58 am

I think 1 VT town needs to apply. Otherwise we wind up narrowing the pool for mafia to determine PRs, etc.

Unless I am off the mark here.

And I am with you on the town:ghug question. Closing doors instead of opening them.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#509 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:59 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 am
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

We’ll gain our info from tonight’s vote.

Separate question: why on earth would Town!ghug try to delegitimize this plan? It’s only binding and effective to the extent we treat it as binding.
I'm just giving my honest opinion. I fully believe it's worth trying, but I don't have high hopes, and I think it's important to establish that we need people to commit now and actually treat tonight like a day phase if it's going to work.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#510 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:04 am

PEOPLE:

We are treating this night like a day phase so we can get our gambler an item. Day 2 has started. 18 hours to go. We're going to use Real Day 2 to hammer the leading vote getter from this night.

This is not a drill.

Go.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#511 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:09 am

There needs to be a second in case the mafia decide to eliminate first choice tomnight. Right? Or do I have the procedure off?

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#512 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 am

Downside, there is no gambler, and we are down pyxxy and 2 more town.

Makes it 8 to 3, right?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#513 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:09 am
There needs to be a second in case the mafia decide to eliminate first choice tomnight. Right? Or do I have the procedure off?
I think if they do that, we just get a normal day, since the gamble will have been wasted anyway.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#514 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 am
Downside, there is no gambler, and we are down pyxxy and 2 more town.

Makes it 8 to 3, right?
That's the same as if we daykill wrong, though.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#515 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:20 am

Ah, shit...gambler needs to post to GMs at night, right?

Cripes, that changes things, but I don't know how much.

So then the hypothetical:

Say Chaqa volunteers to be the sacrifice on D2.
Gambler puts chip on Chaqa.
Mafia are like, "Screw that, Gambler ain't getting no item." and kill Chaqa.

Result will be...? I am guessing the chip is lost and Gambler is down to two chips.

"Each day you must vote for a suspect. You start the game with THREE gambling chips. At night, you may wager one chip to place a bet on who will be voted out the next day. If you win your bet, you win one item from the list below (determined at random). Each item is a one-use item and may only be won a single time. If you run out of chips, you may spend an un-used item to place a bet instead. "

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#516 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:20 am

Result will be...? I am guessing the chip is lost and Gambler is down to two chips.

"Each day you must vote for a suspect. You start the game with THREE gambling chips. At night, you may wager one chip to place a bet on who will be voted out the next day. If you win your bet, you win one item from the list below (determined at random). Each item is a one-use item and may only be won a single time. If you run out of chips, you may spend an un-used item to place a bet instead. "
This isn't a good idea if we're just sacrificing someone. It needs to be a town-led vote. Then all the mafia can do is kill who we want dead and give us immediate info on the vote, or kill someone else and let us have a normal gamble plus the daykill.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#517 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:02 am
Dude...is your entire thing with me that you misunderstood my second post? Are you really that bad at this game? It's kinda annoying at this point.
No. I did not misunderstand your post. Your post looked like manufactured engagement. It did not appear sincere. I don't think it's quite right that a player who enters without information asks everyone if the Sherif flavor was just flavor. This is what you said:
BunnyGo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:01 pm
Just checked to see if sherif had been an option of a power. Seems it’s just flavor?
This looks to me like someone is pretending not to have information. Like, you went to the rules to see if there was a sheriff, then you saw there was no sheriff, then you were still asking everyone whether this was "just flavor"? This suggests to me that you are faking your engagement.
BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:02 am
Your stupid conclusion to the day was "I'm voting for a guy...so it must be correct because I know I'm town, so that's correct." Like...play or don't, but people said you had a head on your shoulders. I'm not seeing it.

And ffs, can you be done with whatever shenanigans you've got going with your fake claim? Can you unclaim it yet? Or is that gonna go a bit longer...
You call me "bad at this game," you say I have a "stupid conclusion," and you say I don't have a head on my shoulders. What you don't say is "Hmmmm, Balki may be scum who is trying to set me up for a mischop."

Where is the paranoia and suspicion? How come you seem to know I am town?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#518 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:26 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:20 am

This isn't a good idea if we're just sacrificing someone. It needs to be a town-led vote. Then all the mafia can do is kill who we want dead and give us immediate info on the vote, or kill someone else and let us have a normal gamble plus the daykill.
+1

If mafia want to night kill someone in the heart of our process of elimination, that's great.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#519 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:28 am

ghug wrote:

Alright, I feel like I am losing you. What do you mean town-led? Is that a more meaningful push than volunteering?

So we vote someone, Mafia kill them...what sort of immediate info do we gert?

I'm too inevriated to make a lot of sense. Just say, wait until tomorrow Brian.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#520 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:33 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:28 am
ghug wrote:

Alright, I feel like I am losing you. What do you mean town-led? Is that a more meaningful push than volunteering?

So we vote someone, Mafia kill them...what sort of immediate info do we gert?

I'm too inevriated to make a lot of sense. Just say, wait until tomorrow Brian.
You're more than welcome to go to bed and come back to this with fresh eyes.

By town-led, I mean we vote on someone tonight and then kill that person tomorrow.