MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#481 Post by Chaqa » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:28 am
Chaqa wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:52 am

Who isn't?
I dunno

I found out I qualify for Italian dual citizenship, so I'm gonna try to get that and my gf and I might go visit to see if we want to expat lol
I've got the Irish connection and I've played with that idea on occasion.

You'd make way less money and nobody would speak English, though.
Well, I can probably keep my job and switch to being a contractor, though that's not a certain thing yet. We have a lot of people in Europe working there (in Netherlands, Germany, and Ukraine, at least, so Italy shouldn't be too much more)

KoalaAttack

#482 Post by KoalaAttack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:44 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:36 am

Haha, I have two thoughts:

(1) You actually read the koala guilt-trip post as serious? Even after I explicitly announced I'll be role-playing a koala? Suspicious.

(2) I appreciate the sentiment to now kill the newbie on day 1. But holy crap, there are a lot of posts to go through. I don't mind if y'all kill me early, there is a small chance I might have bitten off more than I can chew given the sheer volume of posts on here coupled with the seeming expectaion of folks to stay really on top of them all!

PS: But if you do, you will still live the rest of your life knowing you are a koala-killer. ;-)
Fewer excuses and apologies, more thoughts!

(I know it's hard, we're all insane.)
I'm trying re more thoughts. I thought that (1) was a thought, pun intended – someone reading an obvious joke post seriously is suspicious. I stand by that.

And there were no apologies. Not sure there is anything to apologize for?
Also, since ghug asked me for more thoughts, I think it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is ghug's reaction to my hypothesis of worcej reading an obvious-joke post as serious being suspicious!

BunnyGo

#483 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:38 am

Chaqa wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 am
ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

I dunno

I found out I qualify for Italian dual citizenship, so I'm gonna try to get that and my gf and I might go visit to see if we want to expat lol

Well, I can probably keep my job and switch to being a contractor, though that's not a certain thing yet. We have a lot of people in Europe working there (in Netherlands, Germany, and Ukraine, at least, so Italy shouldn't be too much more)
EU citizenship is pretty transferable. I'm looking at Austrian dual citizen stuff now.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#484 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 am

Chaqa wrote:
ghug wrote:
Chaqa wrote:

I dunno

Do they got get paid European tech salaries though?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#485 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:42 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
KoalaAttack wrote:
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 am

Fewer excuses and apologies, more thoughts!

(I know it's hard, we're all insane.)
I'm trying re more thoughts. I thought that (1) was a thought, pun intended – someone reading an obvious joke post seriously is suspicious. I stand by that.

Also, since ghug asked me for more thoughts, I think it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is ghug's reaction to my hypothesis of worcej reading an obvious-joke post as serious being suspicious!
Worcej isn't the best reader, but I think he was more taking issue with it seeming kind of tryhardy, which I'm indifferent to.

Who do you think was most responsible for pyxxy's death?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#486 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:43 am

BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:38 am
Chaqa wrote:
ghug wrote:

EU citizenship is pretty transferable. I'm looking at Austrian dual citizen stuff now.
Yep, get it somewhere, work everywhere, at least within Schengen.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#487 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:59 am

Here is a thing:

Only Town can benefit from correctly guessing the next daychop. Plus, we likely have a higher ratio of Town:Scum in this night phase than we will during the day phase.

So…

Let’s do a binding vote during this night phase about who we chop tomorrow. Then we end hammer tomorrow the leading vote getter (narrow exception here if results of night actions reveals a wolf).

This way, we ensure that our gambler (if we have one) gets their items, and we vote to kill at a time when a greater majority of the game is Town.

##vote BunnyGo

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#488 Post by Chaqa » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:01 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 am
Chaqa wrote:
ghug wrote:

Do they got get paid European tech salaries though?
Possibly, but I think I can negotiate pretty well in this case

BunnyGo

#489 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:02 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:59 am
Here is a thing:

Only Town can benefit from correctly guessing the next daychop. Plus, we likely have a higher ratio of Town:Scum in this night phase than we will during the day phase.

So…

Let’s do a binding vote during this night phase about who we chop tomorrow. Then we end hammer tomorrow the leading vote getter (narrow exception here if results of night actions reveals a wolf).

This way, we ensure that our gambler (if we have one) gets their items, and we vote to kill at a time when a greater majority of the game is Town.

##vote BunnyGo
Dude...is your entire thing with me that you misunderstood my second post? Are you really that bad at this game? It's kinda annoying at this point.

Your stupid conclusion to the day was "I'm voting for a guy...so it must be correct because I know I'm town, so that's correct." Like...play or don't, but people said you had a head on your shoulders. I'm not seeing it.

And ffs, can you be done with whatever shenanigans you've got going with your fake claim? Can you unclaim it yet? Or is that gonna go a bit longer...

KoalaAttack

#490 Post by KoalaAttack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:42 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
KoalaAttack wrote:

Worcej isn't the best reader, but I think he was more taking issue with it seeming kind of tryhardy, which I'm indifferent to.

Who do you think was most responsible for pyxxy's death?

Interesting, but reading it as tryhardy only applies if you take it as non-fluff. Personally, I thought my original post was sooo clearly jumping the shark it was obviously on the same level of NAI relevance as steak or citizenship discussions. But I invite everyone to judge for themselves!

Also, you folks are giving me pressure to engage, but without knowing others so well the earlier assessment by Hamilton Brian of taking joviality as an approach to “break the ice” is indeed accurate.

Now, if worcej is an experienced player, which is the impression I’m getting – they probably saw other new players take a similar approach before. So the question in my mind is “is this a poor read by an experienced player, or something deeper going on?”

On the other hand, if worcej is just that kind of guy/gal who makes fun of a new person at a party for trying to break the ice, then that kind of makes me want to

##VOTE worcej

anyway, if we are going with Balki’s suggestion of the binding vote for the Gambler. But I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume they are Mafia.

(Sorry if you end up being town after all worcej)

To answer your question of who is most responsible, according to
http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_st ... =day&num=1 I’d say either Ham who broke the 4-way tie of 2s, bo_ who broke the 2-way tie of 3s, or yav who locked it in.

I don’t have enough Mafia experience to know if breaking the tie of “locking it in” tends to weigh more – so I defer to the group’s judgement on that.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#491 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:06 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:09 am
bo_sox48 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:51 pm
Damo was pretty active early and hasn't been on in several hours after saying he had "pub poker tonight" and wouldn't be on for EON. I don't know why you consider him "checked out" when he told you a long time ago he wasn't going to be here tonight.

Worcej and Bunny are both active, which is a plus on Day 1 even if I don't think either of them are amazingly townie at this point. Given how dead this EOD is I'm really against killing active people.

Pyxxy is a lurker that has done nothing to my eye other than briefly shitpost with me and try, without really trying that hard, to place a scumread on Chaqa. And then vote for Bunny. It's lackadaisical and kinda scummy, and he's a lurker. A+ day 1 kill.
Super lame post from bo.
What would be nice, and less lame, is a reason why you think it's a "super lame" post. What stinks about it from your perspective? Because maybe when you clarify THAT, people will have a better read of your observations. I don't see ANYTHING in that post that smacks of lame or...being untruthful. So what is it you have a problem with?

It's easy to sit here and type, "Ghug's response is super lame," but no one would give a shit since there's no weight behind it. All it is, is taking up air.

Respectfully.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#492 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:08 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 pm
Can I make the jump in logic that...all participants on the pyxxy wagon were town? Without going back over the vote movement, pyxxy wagon formed rather earlyish(?) and others developed around it.

There wasn't really another wagon that was in danger, making it easier for mafia to just hang out and watch it all happen?
And mafia couldn't have been some of those early movers?

That's quite a bold conclusion to draw from a pretty lackluster EoD.
It's a pretty malleable perspective and I, myself, wouldn't hold hard and fast to ANY of my conclusions from today. I was wrong on pyxxy. I am probably wrong on that whole vote thing too.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#493 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 am

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:15 am
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 pm
I still think ghug's assessment on pyxxy was flawed but more about that later.

I just now caught the "Chaqa J has been consistently..."

In the forum, with my failing eyes it really looked like the letter I. And someone else used one of those letters. Just caught it on the bot.
You can think my analysis was flawed, but it was a weak gut read and it turned out to be correct, so you're either going to have to live with my unparalleled awesomeness or tell us why I was intentionally giving a flawed townread on a townie as scum.

What do you make of the J?
Congratulations; you were one of some number that had 1/14th or whatever the fraction is correct.

What do I make of the J? Effing copy and paste from your wall from D1. Is there something more sinister about it?

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#494 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 am

Chaqa wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:33 am
Is the J, like the I left on Balki earlier, not just a bad copy/paste from ghug's list earlier?
I think so. :shrug: Font shows up differently on WebDip than on Mafiabot when copying and pasting.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#495 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:06 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:09 am
bo_sox48 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:51 pm
Damo was pretty active early and hasn't been on in several hours after saying he had "pub poker tonight" and wouldn't be on for EON. I don't know why you consider him "checked out" when he told you a long time ago he wasn't going to be here tonight.

Worcej and Bunny are both active, which is a plus on Day 1 even if I don't think either of them are amazingly townie at this point. Given how dead this EOD is I'm really against killing active people.

Pyxxy is a lurker that has done nothing to my eye other than briefly shitpost with me and try, without really trying that hard, to place a scumread on Chaqa. And then vote for Bunny. It's lackadaisical and kinda scummy, and he's a lurker. A+ day 1 kill.
Super lame post from bo.
What would be nice, and less lame, is a reason why you think it's a "super lame" post. What stinks about it from your perspective? Because maybe when you clarify THAT, people will have a better read of your observations. I don't see ANYTHING in that post that smacks of lame or...being untruthful. So what is it you have a problem with?

It's easy to sit here and type, "Ghug's response is super lame," but no one would give a shit since there's no weight behind it. All it is, is taking up air.

Respectfully.
Paragraph one is a long-winded quibble over semantics, and it's the sort of post that's very likely to start a hotheaded argument that's low on substance. It's also a "don't kill people who aren't around" argument, which is one of my least favorite sorts of arguments.

Paragraph two is fine enough, but it's not like worcej and Bunny were doing much of note with their activity. Compare Bunny's response to my pyxxy thing, where he harped briefly and let it go, to yours, where you keep coming back and chewing on it. Or look at how much worcej is commenting on individual things without trying to tie them into any greater picture.

Paragraph three is again heavy on hotheaded bloviation and it's a bad take to boot. The characterization of his Chaqa read is unfair and the focus on "shitposting with [bo]" is laughably hypocritical self-aggrandizement in the face of his bad earlier complaint about people focusing too much on interactions with themselves. It's also substituting its bloviation for any actual conviction, which could just be bo being bo or could be a cover for the emotional disengagement scum feel towards solving the game.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#496 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:20 am

@ghug, what do you think of my night voting gambler plan?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#497 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:21 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:20 am
@ghug, what do you think of my night voting gambler plan?
##VOTE worcej

But I don't think anyone's actually going to hold to it, so it's likely pointless.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#498 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 am

http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_st ... =day&num=1 I’d say either Ham who broke the 4-way tie of 2s, bo_ who broke the 2-way tie of 3s, or yav who locked it in.
Yes!! I'm glad you think I look lousy. When I looked at the voting after the flip (pyxxy getting killed), my vote sure looked bad in hindsight. That's Day 1s though. It's the other stuff surrounding it. Looking at the vote isn't foolproof. I think a lot of players scoff at it. So right now you're pegging me, bo, and yuv.

That should inform much of your work over the Night phase and the next Day phase. Not 100%, but...you've given yourself something to work with.

I strongly think you're a new player who is town. I think the only thing I want to leave you with is beware the players that buddy up to you too much. Steer your own ship.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#499 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:24 am

I'll take a closer look at my vote count thing tomorrow morning.

I'd appreciate others doing the same.

Buzzed and Angry Brian out...

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#500 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 am

Yes!! I'm glad you think I look lousy. When I looked at the voting after the flip (pyxxy getting killed), my vote sure looked bad in hindsight. That's Day 1s though. It's the other stuff surrounding it. Looking at the vote isn't foolproof. I think a lot of players scoff at it. So right now you're pegging me, bo, and yuv.

That should inform much of your work over the Night phase and the next Day phase. Not 100%, but...you've given yourself something to work with.

I strongly think you're a new player who is town. I think the only thing I want to leave you with is beware the players that buddy up to you too much. Steer your own ship.
What makes you think Koala is town?