MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#161 Post by ghug » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:42 pm
worcej wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:44 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:06 pm
I am Civil War Veteran. I think the benefit of me claiming now outweighs the cost. I think I'm a reasonably to draw a visit from Town, and it's not worth the gamble.

If you think my choice to claim on Day 1 is dumb, let's talk about it in the AAR. It's done now.
Interesting play here...
@worcej, what do you find interesting about it? Does it cause you to lean Balki in one direction or another?
Do you find it interesting?

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#162 Post by Hamilton Brian » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 pm

{b}@Hamilton, you're Canadian?[/b]

@Damo, way to present more as town this game than last game. You seem much more loose and less bored. What do you make of pyxxy sheeping you?
@Bunny, yes to your question, but American by birth. I think we've had Maine conversations during previous games.

Are you making a connection between Damo seeming more loose/less bored as them more likely being town? And what's your benchmark for "less bored?" Damo's only made 6 posts, none of which struck me as much of anything.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#163 Post by Hamilton Brian » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:50 pm

worcej wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:48 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
I am Civil War Veteran. I think the benefit of me claiming now outweighs the cost. I think I'm a reasonably to draw a visit from Town, and it's not worth the gamble.

If you think my choice to claim on Day 1 is dumb, let's talk about it in the AAR. It's done now.
Just after Bozo made a statement as to WHY NOT to claim. Nice way to stir up the posting for the day.

Balki is town. It is a benefit to town for them to claim because...?
Balki is town. It is NOT a benefit to town for them to claim because...?

or

Balki is mafia. same questions apply.
Are you seeking opinions here with this...?
Yes, I am. I know it's easy to go down a rabbit hole about why someone would claim as either alignment. And maybe it's too early to dig into the reason (But Balki, why did you choose that particular point in the day phase to claim) in which case a kind, "Brian, STFU and look at something else," would suffice.

The psychology of such a move is of interest. What's the motivation as either alignment. I think Rivera offers something closer to a greater truth, but...

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#164 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:57 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:50 pm
worcej wrote:
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 pm

Just after Bozo made a statement as to WHY NOT to claim. Nice way to stir up the posting for the day.

Balki is town. It is a benefit to town for them to claim because...?
Balki is town. It is NOT a benefit to town for them to claim because...?

or

Balki is mafia. same questions apply.
Yes, I am. I know it's easy to go down a rabbit hole about why someone would claim as either alignment. And maybe it's too early to dig into the reason (But Balki, why did you choose that particular point in the day phase to claim) in which case a kind, "Brian, STFU and look at something else," would suffice.

The psychology of such a move is of interest. What's the motivation as either alignment. I think Rivera offers something closer to a greater truth, but...
I’m not going to answer any questions about my claim. Don’t visit me unless you’re a Wolf.

I suggest that we focus on alignments.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#165 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:29 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:21 pm

@Hamilton Brian, why did you say this: "They're flying a little too close to the sun. 'kidding' in asking if Pyxxy would self-vote then the blanket vote on Rivera."

What should we take from it? What are you saying about the things Damo did with respect to Pyxxy and Rivera and what does it say about Damo's alignment?
I tried to bold your inferring question, to which I replied, "Definitely not." At this point in the game, don't infer anything from me. It is primarily baseless. If I start to push something I feel strongly about, then I'll announce it with better reasoning than whatever it was I said about Damo.

It's D1 early-game shit posting. I could have easily chosen worcej for his comment on 'more time in game is NAI' or something like that. I could have chosen you. Don't count on it. It's early D1.

I'm feeling a little paranoid because I feel like you're really going after me but I am NOT the only one that has put a vote up, but I'm primarily the one you're digging in to, IMHO. YMMV.

Can we put an end to it for now? Once we get a Day under us and start some vote analysis, then.
It didn’t look like shit posting. Fine if it is PRIMARILY baseless, but I want to understand your line of thought for the part that is not baseless. I’m trying to learn about you. You wrote out a whole thing involving three players, and you voted for one of them.

“They're flying a little too close to the sun. 'kidding' in asking if Pyxxy would self-vote then the blanket vote on Rivera.“

I don’t really want to hear all of the reasons why I should treat this as meaningless. You literally meant nothing at all by it? Is it akin to saying “%%vote Damo Gobble gobble gobble fldhsudndhsi I like my steak with broccolini”?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#166 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:04 pm

Balki I has been consistently trying to keep the discussion focused and on track.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#167 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:04 pm
Balki I has been consistently trying to keep the discussion focused and on track.
* Pats Chaqa on the head.

* Hands Chaqa a large pretzel

* Sincere smile and nod

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#168 Post by ghug » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:04 pm
Chaqa J has been consistently providing helpful insights and ideas during the discussion.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#169 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:19 pm

@ghug I think it's interesting that Bozo picked up on what I had done, so he's reading thoroughly. Probably town.

Others.. hmmm

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#170 Post by ghug » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:20 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:19 pm
@ghug I think it's interesting that Bozo picked up on what I had done, so he's reading thoroughly. Probably town.

Others.. hmmm
Close reading is not something I find alignment indicative from Bozo.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#171 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:

Dull or clever?

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#172 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:10 am

Chaqa wrote:

Others.. hmmm
Is it just me or is the most common thing in mafia on this site for someone to say “I think X is Y because of how they responded to me/voted for me/read me” - it makes it so easy to be pocketed.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#173 Post by ghug » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:21 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:10 am
Chaqa wrote:

Others.. hmmm
Is it just me or is the most common thing in mafia on this site for someone to say “I think X is Y because of how they responded to me/voted for me/read me” - it makes it so easy to be pocketed.
I think bo makes a very brave and valid point here.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#174 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 am

ghug wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Less interesting and more, "Why do it now?" That's what I don't get.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#175 Post by ghug » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:34 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 am
ghug wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Less interesting and more, "Why do it now?" That's what I don't get.
Sounds like interesting to me.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#176 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:48 am

ghug wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:34 am

Sounds like interesting to me.
Maybe? :shrug:

lfischl

#177 Post by lfischl » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:03 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:57 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:50 pm
worcej wrote:

I’m not going to answer any questions about my claim. Don’t visit me unless you’re a Wolf.

I suggest that we focus on alignments.
Being awfully defensive for a town role, and it's D1 man, live a little

KoalaAttack

#178 Post by KoalaAttack » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:17 am

I am not sure how to contribute to this grand discussion, so I will now role-play my username.

A sleepy koala awakens...

I have 3 silly questions and 1 real one for the town-folk:

Silly 1)

What is a NAI?

Silly 2)

What is an AAR? "After Action Review" like a separate discussion after the game?

Silly 3)
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:13 pm
Obviously this will change as the day goes long but ...
Does this mean you are allowed to change your votes before the day ends? I thought I read all the rules but must have missed this bit.

Real 1) Y'all obviously have a long & rich history of prior games with each other and knowing each other's personalities. I don't – so I will ignore all the fluff and only focus on the logic of actions :)

So, for the fake/real CWV discussion – assuming, hypothetically, that claimed CWV is not a real CWV for a second, and there is another real one in play ... My question is: would claiming help or hurt the other real CWV?

As I understand it: If it would hurt them, then fake-claiming CWV feels like a Mafia thing to do. If it it would help them, then fake-claiming CWV feels like a Town thing to do. Of course, if the claim is real this reasoning becomes irrelevant.

Bonus Wisdom) Forget Oxy, Eucalyptus is where it's at.

... back to sleep now.

BunnyGo

#179 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:18 am

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 pm

{b}@Hamilton, you're Canadian?[/b]

@Damo, way to present more as town this game than last game. You seem much more loose and less bored. What do you make of pyxxy sheeping you?
@Bunny, yes to your question, but American by birth. I think we've had Maine conversations during previous games.

Are you making a connection between Damo seeming more loose/less bored as them more likely being town? And what's your benchmark for "less bored?" Damo's only made 6 posts, none of which struck me as much of anything.
Yes, but it's been a while and I don't remember things.

After playing many games with Damo (several in a row as his scum partner), my internal thinking about how I sense him being scum or not is "bored"/"interested".

I get the impression that he doesn't enjoy being scum, and prefers being town (he's never confirmed this). So when he's scum, he's usually more business, and on point, but having less fun and more "bored".

When he's town, he's usually looser, enjoying the hunt, and less bored.

Compare his opening in this game with a quick search of the most recent game when he was scum. No banter, took questions seriously instead of f***ing around.

Just my first impression of him. I find it gets more obvious in later game, but I won't be voting for him today.

BunnyGo

#180 Post by BunnyGo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:20 am

KoalaAttack wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:17 am

Silly 1)

What is a NAI?
"Not Alignment Indicative" meaning it doesn't say anything about if the player is scum or town
KoalaAttack wrote:

Silly 2)

What is an AAR? "After Action Review" like a separate discussion after the game?
Yes
KoalaAttack wrote:

Silly 3)
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:13 pm
Obviously this will change as the day goes long but ...
Does this mean you are allowed to change your votes before the day ends? I thought I read all the rules but must have missed this bit.
YES! And even better, go check out the bot

http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/front_page?g=77

It has all the posts, has lots of interactive links, and you can even select game to see past ones, you can examine the vote history as the game goes on, it's wonderful.