What makes your life worth living?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Octavious

Re: What makes your life worth living?

#161 Post by Octavious » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:20 pm

KalelChase wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:38 pm
Okay, I've read much but not all of the thread.
Can I ask learnedSloth or Octavious or Fluminator to educate me on a few things?
In your belief system are these true?

1. Original sin is inherent in us when we are born stemming from our original ancestors not following God's will.
2. We cannot get rid of original sin. The only way to gain this for our immortal soul is to do this is through faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as our savior?
3. If we do this and God deems us worthy then our immortal soul will be accepted into a heavenly place regardless of what we did on Earth save rejection of said Christ.

Thanks for confirming. I don't want to misunderstand your position.
My personal belief can be summed up by the following:

Original sin is bollocks
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Wusti

#162 Post by Wusti » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:11 pm

KalelChase wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:38 pm
2. We cannot get rid of original sin. The only way to gain this for our immortal soul is to do this is through faith and acceptance of Jesus Christ as our savior?
I always thought Baptism was meant to cleanse original sin?
Octavious is an hypocritical, supercilious tit.

Fluminator

#163 Post by Fluminator » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:06 am

Baptism is one of the hottest points of division among Christian sects on what it means exactly. Good luck understanding that one.

Jamiet99uk

#164 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:10 pm
For the record, if there was an everlasting hellfire torture chamber waiting for us in the afterlife, I actually do agree there is no way to justify the suffering of this world with an all-loving God.
So you agree that Christianity is either a meaningless religion or a fathomless cult?

Cool, we're pm on the same pages if that's true.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#165 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:42 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:20 pm

My personal belief can be summed up by the following:

Original sin is bollocks
So you denounce Christianity?

Cool.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#166 Post by Octavious » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:21 pm

Christianity is a very catholic religion. The Catholics, ironically enough, not so much. A great many Christians don't have any belief in original sin
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Fluminator

#167 Post by Fluminator » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:49 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 pm
Fluminator wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:10 pm
For the record, if there was an everlasting hellfire torture chamber waiting for us in the afterlife, I actually do agree there is no way to justify the suffering of this world with an all-loving God.
So you agree that Christianity is either a meaningless religion or a fathomless cult?

Cool, we're pm on the same pages if that's true.
Some forms of it sure.

Jamiet99uk

#168 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:27 pm

So, Octavious and Fluminator both believe in something called "God". But, they also believe that the majority of other people who also claim to believe in God are getting vital details about who God is and what God commands, completely wrong. Since the Bible is filled with God making demands and giving instructions, shouldn't this be quite worrying?

How is it that so many of God's adherents get his message wrong, dudes?

How come you're so much better than everyone else, at figuring it out?

Fluminator

#169 Post by Fluminator » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:21 pm

Why do so many Christians get it wrong in my opinion?
I'm assuming you're asking about hell specifically?

I personally think a lot of it is vestigial theological baggage from the middle ages when hell propaganda was spread by the Catholic Church to encourage more subservience.
I've never been to the afterlife so I can't know for sure if they were correct but I look at the motive of where that doctrine came from and I was sus. Along with the gut instinct that an eternal torture chamber would be a monstrous thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and I wouldn't understand any hypothetical motive for it existing.

Also that's a weird way to word that question. There are over 7 billion religious people in the world. How come you think you're so much better than everyone else at figuring out religion is rubbish?

Jamiet99uk

#170 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:26 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:21 pm
Why do so many Christians get it wrong in my opinion?
I'm assuming you're asking about hell specifically?

I personally think a lot of it is vestigial theological baggage from the middle ages when hell propaganda was spread by the Catholic Church to encourage more subservience.
I've never been to the afterlife so I can't know for sure if they were correct but I look at the motive of where that doctrine came from and I was sus. Along with the gut instinct that an eternal torture chamber would be a monstrous thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and I wouldn't understand any hypothetical motive for it existing.

Also that's a weird way to word that question. There are over 7 billion religious people in the world. How come you think you're so much better than everyone else at figuring out religion is rubbish?
I was asking about both hell and original sin, which between you and Oct you were both dismissing as concepts, yet both of which seem pretty central to Christianity*.

Wait a moment - the total population of the world is just about at the 8bn point. I know there are a lot of religious people, but on what basis do you claim "over 7 billion"?? That sounds like an exaggeration to me.

*Yes I know you are not a Christian.

Jamiet99uk

#171 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:33 pm

Of the circa 8 billion people alive in the world today, around 0.6bn are children under the age of 5 years old, who I would suggest are not in a position to be certain about whether they have any genuine religious belief. I'm sure I've previously seen figures suggesting there are around 1.2 billion atheists and agnostics in the world. So I'd suggest the number of people actually professing a religion would be closer to the 5 to 6 billion range.

It's still a lot, but steady on with your "over 7 billion" claim.

Jamiet99uk

#172 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:44 pm

And to actually address the question:
Fluminator wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:21 pm
How come you think you're so much better than everyone else at figuring out religion is rubbish?
I don't think I've figured anything out.

I start from a position of neutrality. I have no religious belief. Other people assert that something called God exists. The burden of proof is therefore on them. Proof of God has not been demonstrated to me. Therefore I remain in my original neutral position, with no belief.

Many of the religious people in the world are indoctrinated from birth in societies where religious belief is the norm. They are told from birth that a particular kind of God exists, and are expected to accept this just as they learn that water is wet and fire is hot. They were not permitted to start from a position of neutrality in facing the claim of "God".

PRINCE WILLIAM

#173 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Less if you count those who are really believing and are not following just custom or law.

Fluminator

#174 Post by Fluminator » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:33 am

I used Wikipedia. I admit it's not the most accurate source but it didn't change the point that much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... emographic.

Fluminator

#175 Post by Fluminator » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 am

For the record I know it's a bad argument to appeal to majority. The point of it was to show how it's not weird to have an opinion that differs from a majority view.

Jamiet99uk

#176 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 am

Fluminator wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:33 am
I used Wikipedia. I admit it's not the most accurate source but it didn't change the point that much.

The problem with using Wikipedia is that the article you linked says there are 500 to 750 million non-religious people in the world, but here is a different Wikipedia page that says there are 1.19 billion secular/atheist/agnostic people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... opulations

Same website, two totally different numbers.

ShankaDaWanka

#177 Post by ShankaDaWanka » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:58 am

I just feel like it. I know you wanted an elaborate answer to the question. But there really is no specific thing that makes my life worthwhile.

JECE

#178 Post by JECE » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:26 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 am
Fluminator wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:33 am

The problem with using Wikipedia is that the article you linked says there are 500 to 750 million non-religious people in the world, but here is a different Wikipedia page that says there are 1.19 billion secular/atheist/agnostic people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... opulations

Same website, two totally different numbers.
Come on, guys. It's Wikipedia. The real sources are in the citations.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#179 Post by kestasjk » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:42 am

Waking up in the morning to learn webDip went down 4 hours ago with a new failure mode after spending months trying to make it more stable.. Just the best feeling in the world :banned: :cry: :-x :sick: :raging: :geek: