Wanted: three dastardly and loquacious diplomats

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Le_Roi

Wanted: three dastardly and loquacious diplomats

#1 Post by Le_Roi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 am

Hi! Myself and three friends from grad school are looking to fill a low-pot turn-a-day game. We've all played a reasonable amount, mostly on backstabbr, but I'm forcing us over here because I'm a staunch webdip kind of guy - played a ton here years ago before life picked up.

We're looking for a few players who are namely reliable and talkative, hopefully experienced who are interested in a lively game. There 100% won't be any collusion on our end, and all our press will be kept in-game!

If you're interested, you can find the game here (pw: stabroi)!

ben9990

Re: Wanted: three dastardly and loquacious diplomats

#2 Post by ben9990 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 am

Just $.02 - its really unlikely that anyone practiced on this site will want to join the game if its not anonymous. You three know things about each other that the rest of us do not. You are also encouraged to be nice to each other by consideration of repeat play (which does not exist for anyone who joins you). You thus go into the game with significant advantages if the game stays non-anon.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 am

I disagree, actually. It's a fairly safe bet that a group of mates will be able to tell who's who from writing style in an anon game pretty damned easily. Making it anonymous just means that the knowledge of who the grad school players are is limited to the grad school players. Having it open for all to see seems a far more honest way of doing it.

As far as the prospect of unintentional meta gaming goes, it may happen. It may not. It seems just as likely for a friend to subconsciously have a desire to shove the knife in to their chum as ally with them, and it's clear that they are all going to make an effort to play it straight. And people are far less likely to drop out of such games. I reckon it will be a fun one for anyone taking part.

And at the end of the day it's only a game :-)

Simonv121

#4 Post by Simonv121 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:54 am

I agree. My group recently tried an anon game after a couple non-anon plays, and even with 2 unknown players thrown into the mix we almost immediately know who we all were.

I'd be happy to play, though. I don't have a huge amount of experience but I am reliable and enjoy the interaction aspect. And as mentioned before me - its only a game!

I am in the UK though, so if that's going to be problematic regarding time zones for press, say so and I'll sit it out.

Leviné

#5 Post by Leviné » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:13 am

Le_Roi wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 am
There 100% won't be any collusion on our end
If I learned anything from a certain very stable genius in the past few years, #NOCOLLUSION! is a sure way to tell there were/are going to be tons of collusion. :razz:

Le_Roi

#6 Post by Le_Roi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Simonv121 wrote:I'd be happy to play, though. I don't have a huge amount of experience but I am reliable and enjoy the interaction aspect. And as mentioned before me - its only a game!
Please do join! We're scattered throughout the US thanks to COVID, from HST to EST, and are enthusiastic enough to be up at all hours anyway - or maybe that's my poor sleep schedule talking.
Leviné wrote:If I learned anything from a certain very stable genius in the past few years, #NOCOLLUSION! is a sure way to tell there were/are going to be tons of collusion. :razz:
HA well I can tell you there will be no quid pro quo, there has never been quid pro quo, also I'm totally not allied with Russia.
ben9990 wrote:Just $.02 - its really unlikely that anyone practiced on this site will want to join the game if its not anonymous.
I'll have you know I joined the site a whole 14 days before you, young whippersnapper ;) But the point is well-taken, and I'm more than happy to make any assurances to incoming players about non-metagaming / treating players equally / overcoming cognitive bias! Though speaking of bias, I can tell you there is at least one of the three who I'm sure would get a lot of extra utility by shoving a dagger deep into my back :)

Le_Roi

#7 Post by Le_Roi » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Aaand we're full! Feel free to spectate if ya like :-D

Leviné

#8 Post by Leviné » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Le_Roi wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:38 pm
Aaand we're full! Feel free to spectate if ya like :-D
The chitchat in the public chat is so entertaining that I certainly will!