Annual Religious Thread

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
CaptainFritz28

Re: Annual Religious Thread

#61 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:24 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:00 pm
CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:43 am
Jamie's pfp and signature are a prime example of your concluding paragraph. It implies that he believes what Hamas is doing is good, and what Israel is doing is evil. What are Hamas and Israel doing?
My profile picture and signature make no reference to Hamas whatsoever.
The implication is there. I'll admit, I am not aware of your full range of views on the topic. But I am aware of what you present to me, which has its implications. You should've known when you displayed it to the public (and I think you did) that that is how it would be taken. However, I will ask for clarification, and based on that I'll edit my post. Do you mean to say free Palestine from Israel or free Palestine from Hamas? Forgetting Hamas, would you say that what Israel is doing is wrong?
Ferre ad Finem!

CaptainFritz28

#62 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:28 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:06 pm
What a freak.
Presuming that was directed towards me (I assume this due to its placement, correct me if I'm wrong), thank you displaying to us all how not to proceed in a debate, and giving us an example of a fallacy to avoid.
Ferre ad Finem!

Jamiet99uk

#63 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:39 pm

CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:24 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:00 pm
CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:43 am
Jamie's pfp and signature are a prime example of your concluding paragraph. It implies that he believes what Hamas is doing is good, and what Israel is doing is evil. What are Hamas and Israel doing?
My profile picture and signature make no reference to Hamas whatsoever.
The implication is there. I'll admit, I am not aware of your full range of views on the topic. But I am aware of what you present to me, which has its implications. You should've known when you displayed it to the public (and I think you did) that that is how it would be taken. However, I will ask for clarification, and based on that I'll edit my post. Do you mean to say free Palestine from Israel or free Palestine from Hamas? Forgetting Hamas, would you say that what Israel is doing is wrong?
I mean that the Palestine people should be free and should have their own state - that is, the "two state solution" that is often talked about.

So yes, I mean free Palestine from Israeli occupation and Israeli oppression.

Forgetting Hamas (whose tactics are wrong, and whose murder of Israeli civilians I do not condone at all), I would say that what Israel is doing is wrong, yes. It has been wrong since 1948.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Jamiet99uk

#64 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:41 pm

Also please note, there's a whole separate thread about Palestine, under the banner "War, what is it good for?" and if you want to reply to me further on Palestine, probably best take it there so that we can continue arguing about made-up gods in this thread.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

CaptainFritz28

#65 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:12 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:41 pm
Also please note, there's a whole separate thread about Palestine, under the banner "War, what is it good for?" and if you want to reply to me further on Palestine, probably best take it there so that we can continue arguing about made-up gods in this thread.
Noted, thanks.
Ferre ad Finem!

learnedSloth

#66 Post by learnedSloth » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am

Fluminator wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:12 pm
I always rolled my eyes a little at religious arguments that "if you remove religion the framework of society crumbles" but we're kind of watching it in real time as our society is actively collapsing, and I wonder if the lack of religion is contributing to this.
I'm reminded of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "Men Have Forgotten God" speech:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-men-have-forgotten-god-speech/
¶ Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-- Proverbs of Solomon, chapter 4, verse 23

CaptainFritz28

#67 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:49 am

learnedSloth wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am
Fluminator wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:12 pm
I always rolled my eyes a little at religious arguments that "if you remove religion the framework of society crumbles" but we're kind of watching it in real time as our society is actively collapsing, and I wonder if the lack of religion is contributing to this.
I'm reminded of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's "Men Have Forgotten God" speech:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-men-have-forgotten-god-speech/
Ah, yes. Solzhenitsyn. Along with Bonhoeffer, Lewis, and a few others, one of my favorite Christian authors of the 20th century.
Ferre ad Finem!