US Midterm Elections

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

US Midterm Elections

#1 Post by Octavious » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:28 pm

Place your bets and spin the wheel. Will Differently Abled Duck keep his hands on the wheel of Congress, or will the lunatics take control of the asylum?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

Re: US Midterm Elections

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:32 pm

It looks likely that Republicans will make some gains. They may take overall control of the Senate.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:11 pm

Which is remarkable considering it was only a handful of weeks ago that the Democrats were hoping to ride the abortion backlash and hold on to power.

It does seem to be a particularly thin period for US politics. It may play rather differently to a domestic audience, but if you asked me to list Biden's achievements nothing springs instantly to mind. With Obama you had the big drive for Obamacare, and the abysmal failure to close Guantanamo Bay. Biden, by contrast... hasn't died yet.

And yet America is doing stuff. It's pursuing a heavily America First fiscal policy which is screwing over ally and enemy alike. America is funding a bloody war against Russia that's costing eye-watering sums of money... And yet it's almost as if this is disconnected from Biden somehow.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:55 pm

He's taken some action on gun control, which as per previous debates on this forum, is hard, because of America's gun obsession.

He renewed legal protections against domestic violence and sexual assault that had been abandoned under Trump.

He re-joined the Paris climate accords which Trump had shamefully withdrawn from.

I think he's taken some actions to expand Obamacare too although I'm not sure on the detail.

It's mostly "very slightly left of centre, safe-pair-of-hands" stuff, but that's exactly what I'd expect.

It's funny that the only two people commenting in this thread are a pair of British people...
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:33 am

It's either a sad reflection on the state of American political engagement or a sad reflection on the state of the forum. There seems to be an unprecedented lack of energy about it all, and with the world in the state it's in you'd think there'd be a sense of urgency

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by orathaic » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm

If you listen to Peter Zeihan, (and who doesn't like someone with links to the CIA) Boden is the best President since Bush 2 or Clinton...

https://youtu.be/MfSv9DGtv6Y

He basically says Trump and Obama were two of the worst Presidents the US has had, and mostly for the same reason (not getting shit done).

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:43 pm

The best President president since Dubya? With praise like that who needs criticism?

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#8 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:14 am

But surely you would be more interested in my election campaign?
Voting closes here tomorrow, a week later I will know if I have been, or have not been elected as a Councillor on my local Council.
If elected it will be a Rotunda in every Park with Marching Bands leading our economic recovery! I will make our Horse Drawn Tram Great Again! Starting with free rides for Grandads & Grandmothers, with or without children or grandchildren!
How lucky are readers to read the words of a genuine political statesman!
You're welcome, please thank Omnipotent Zultar & Nearly Omniescent Kestas for the value you get at Webdiplomacy, reading the words of a political leader.
That is all for now future acolytes.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:52 am

orathaic wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm
If you listen to Peter Zeihan, (and who doesn't like someone with links to the CIA) Jim Booden is the best President since Bush 2 or Clinton...

https://youtu.be/MfSv9DGtv6Y

He basically says Trump and Obama were two of the worst Presidents the US has had, and mostly for the same reason (not getting shit done).
Just to be clear, you, Orathaic, think George W. Bush was a good president?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#10 Post by orathaic » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:10 pm

No, i was staying a fact about Peter Zeihan's opinion.

I will also say that i don't think Peter is judging by the policies enacted, merely that a President's job is to manage people, and how much policy was enacted is a good sign of who they are listening to and how they are making decisions.

Worth contrasting US Presidents with the Chinese President or the Russian President. Or even the leaders of Saudi Arabia/Iran (which as a CIA linked guy, Zeihan would tend to focus on?) Where you can criticized the effectiveness of a governance based the autocratic structures in place and lack of accountability.

Basically, Xi Jinping may have shot the messenger so many times now that he is no longer able to govern effectively because he can no longer get good information.

What Trump, Obama and Biden do with their cabinets and how effective they were/are at creating policy is a seperate question from whether you think the policy decisions that were made are actually good.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#11 Post by orathaic » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:15 pm

*stating a fact, even.

Randomizer

#12 Post by Randomizer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:00 pm

This election will go down to the wire. Not Election Day, but in January when they are suppose to take office.

It will be filled with even more court challenges than in 2020 as each side fights to count or block votes that they think will help their side win. You will have fewer losing candidates willing to concede after a primary season where candidates using by 0ver 30% still were claiming victory or demanding recounts.

Octavious

#13 Post by Octavious » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:54 am

Well... we're dangerously close to getting the ideal result. Who'd have thought it?

Jamiet99uk

#14 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:29 pm

It's super close in terms of the Senate.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by orathaic » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:54 am
Well... we're dangerously close to getting the ideal result. Who'd have thought it?
What, pray tell, is your ideal?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#16 Post by orathaic » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:49 pm

Aside: exit poll by party

Asked their reasons for voting
Republicans:
45% inflation
15% immigration
13% crime
12% abortion
8% gun policy

Vs

Democrats
43% Abortion
18% Inflation
14% gun policy
10% Crime
5% Immigration
(Src: BBC https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... c.png.webp )

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#17 Post by flash2015 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:28 pm

orathaic wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm
Octavious wrote:
Divided government...both sides will need to compromise to get anything done. Largely no BS complaints of voter fraud. It has been a quiet day.

Also Trump didn't have a good night vs. DeSantis which is awesome. I am not a fan of DeSantis but at least he is rational and level headed. Trump is a narcissistic, grievance-driven baby.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by flash2015 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:33 pm

Randomizer wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:00 pm
This election will go down to the wire. Not Election Day, but in January when they are suppose to take office.

It will be filled with even more court challenges than in 2020 as each side fights to count or block votes that they think will help their side win. You will have fewer losing candidates willing to concede after a primary season where candidates using by 0ver 30% still were claiming victory or demanding recounts.
Thankfully that looks like it won't happen now (knock on wood).

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:18 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:28 pm
orathaic wrote:
Octavious wrote:
Divided government...both sides will need to compromise to get anything done. Largely no BS complaints of voter fraud. It has been a quiet day.

Also Trump didn't have a good night vs. DeSantis which is awesome. I am not a fan of DeSantis but at least he is rational and level headed. Trump is a narcissistic, grievance-driven baby.
Flash is... pretty much bang on actually

Randomizer

#20 Post by Randomizer » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 am

flash2015 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:28 pm
orathaic wrote:
Octavious wrote:

We've had such good results with the last four years of divided power. The Senate filibustered most legislation that couldn't be passed by a simple majority. Just passing an annual budget required parliamentary trickery.

Some Democrats are hoping the Republicans take the House so after two years of seeing how little interest they have in fixing things, they will be overwhelmingly voted out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-re ... 00527.html