Violence in the US after killing by police.

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Violence in the US after killing by police.

#101 Post by flash2015 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:05 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:43 am
Octavious wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 pm
The hell?

Burglarized is a real word? I'm in shock. It sounds like one of the noises Bush used to make when he forgot how to speak English.
It's US English. In proper English we would use "burgle" and "burgled" where Americanians tend to use "burglarize" and "burglarized".

I have always found this one strange. For consistency shouldn't they also use "murdererized" instead or "murdered"? What about "fraudsterized" in place of "defrauded"?
I have been in the US so long I have started losing track of which words are US inventions or not. Of course, as with many US word inventions or pronunciation differences, there is probably an essay on the net somewhere explaining how burglarize is proper English...and everyone else in the English speaking world (when I used to work on IVRs for a US company there was "English" and "British English") is wrong not to use it. :P

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Violence in the US after killing by police.

#102 Post by orathaic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm

I have done functional and language testing for games. I have also helped 'translate' one game from American to UK English.

I can not for the life of me remember which is which, nor do I care, except the U in words like colour.