help pls - trying to invite to a new game

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Pander Beers

help pls - trying to invite to a new game

#1 Post by Pander Beers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:58 pm

i'm having a silly issue. i cannot figure out how to send people my game to join

i've made a private game with a password - i sent my friends the link, and they get the gray "pre-game" view with no way to join
am i missing something obvious?

Jamiet99uk

Re: help pls - trying to invite to a new game

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:57 am

Pander Beers wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:58 pm
i'm having a silly issue. i cannot figure out how to send people my game to join

i've made a private game with a password - i sent my friends the link, and they get the gray "pre-game" view with no way to join
am i missing something obvious?
I'll check for you if you like?

Send me a PM with the link but not the password?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Pander Beers

#3 Post by Pander Beers » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:17 am

I think the issue was that I am unfamiliar of a best practice to share a game link to people for an anonymous private game. I tried to send them the game link I had, but it just opened the game up in a pregame state, and my friends couldn't join. Then, I said just go to my profile, but the game didn't show there because it was anonymous. They had to go to the new game list and search for my game there.

Is there a better way to send invites to games?

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:01 am

Pander Beers wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:17 am
I think the issue was that I am unfamiliar of a best practice to share a game link to people for an anonymous private game. I tried to send them the game link I had, but it just opened the game up in a pregame state, and my friends couldn't join. Then, I said just go to my profile, but the game didn't show there because it was anonymous. They had to go to the new game list and search for my game there.

Is there a better way to send invites to games?
Just copy-paste the URL.

UnknownHero

#5 Post by UnknownHero » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:32 pm

I think this may be a new issue arising from the new interface.

Jamiet99uk

#6 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:17 pm

Games in the new interface still have an address bar. You can still get the game ID the same as always.

JECE

#7 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:22 pm

UnknownHero wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:32 pm
I was going to say that this sounds like an old issue with the new interface, since it sounds like something that I've read on the Forum before.

If so, a workaround would be to ask all players to switch to the "Dropdown menus" "Default map UI" under Account --> Settings, then share the URL for the game in question. Note that each game has a two different URL's for the two different user interfaces, so copy the URL after you make the switch in settings.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Pander Beers

#8 Post by Pander Beers » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:36 am

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:22 pm
UnknownHero wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:32 pm
I was going to say that this sounds like an old issue with the new interface, since it sounds like something that I've read on the Forum before.

If so, a workaround would be to ask all players to switch to the "Dropdown menus" "Default map UI" under Account --> Settings, then share the URL for the game in question. Note that each game has a two different URL's for the two different user interfaces, so copy the URL after you make the switch in settings.
I think this is it. Thank you