Ghost Rating Challenge 09/23

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Josef IV

Re: Ghost Rating Challenge 09/23

#121 Post by Josef IV » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:11 pm

Yigg wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:55 pm
Yonni wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:48 am
The bottom line is that maybe Russia just deserves the credit for fixing things on both his northern and southern front simultaneously.
I could not agree more, Yonni! Russia was very good, and honestly it was a solid testament to his game. I've always struggled playing as Russia, and he taught me a lot on how to play a better game of it. :) Thanks, Josef!

Thanks Yonni and Yigg for the compliments, not sure if I deserve them... but in the end the game played out fine for me :)

Josef IV

#122 Post by Josef IV » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:25 pm

Hi everyone, sorry to be late with my contribution. As there were several AARs already, and those did capture the spirit of the game quite well, I will be much more brief than the other guys and do this more in "color commentary" style from the russian perspective of things.

1901: I am open to all options, the only thing I want to avoid is a long AI vs RT, and I outright tell that to all of A, I and T. I get good wibes from everyone apart from Austria, so I decide for a Juggernaut and make plans for that with Yonni, so yes, all of the stuff around RUM etc was arranged. I also genuinely talk to Italy about working together, I want to have the IT as a backup strategy should Yonni stab me. I also agree with Germany conditions by which he lets me into SWE.

1902: I bet all-in on my 1901 alliances and work Yonni to carve up Austria, while heping Yigg attack Germany right after he let me into SWE. In the fall, I am surprised to see myself in VIE, and get a second build. After long discussions with Yonni in T (pushing hard for me to build a fleet) and Yigg (pushing hard not to build one), I come up with an agreement of a fleet in StP(sc). I get Yiggs approval for that build, and I would not have done that should he not approve. At this point I also start pushing hard for Yigg to plan a stab of France - that is now my strategy, to divide the board with E and T. This is also my long term failure - I never get Yigg in E to stab France, and I dont make enough effort to push on a french stab of england. I was to much on the english boat so to say, i.e., I did not want to stab Yigg so was thinking too much how to get Yigg stab France instead of the other way around.

1903: tactically things work out well. However, Yonni in Turkey is pushing hard to keep Austria at two. I start to hear allarm bells, as that means crippling Italy, with whom I still have good relations, and instead keeping more austrian units around me, and Austria is the one I am attacking from the start and DougJoe also seemed to be on reasonable terms with Turkey despite the RT attack, so I feared Yonni is setting up to stab me once Italy is down and he has the Austrian armies at my border. So in the end I decide to support hold Italy in TRI. I do not tell Yonni, as I fear that could trigger aggression by itself, and bet on talking my way out of it. Yonni is pissed off and, despite we talk things at length after which he says its fine and agrees to a SMY build, there is a fleet in CON instead, which in turn pissed me of greatly.

More soon to come in a next post :)

ARCHIE JONES

#123 Post by ARCHIE JONES » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm

Hello everyone, I am new on webDiplomacy, great to join the community !
Quick question, if someone kind can take 1 min to answer :)
I do not figure out how to play vs 6 Cicero IA in a short game (5 min or 10 min / turn).

Anyone can help me ?

When I "start an AI/bot game", i dont see any settings about turn time + I get no response from my messages.

DougJoe

#124 Post by DougJoe » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:36 pm

ARCHIE JONES wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 pm
Hello everyone, I am new on webDiplomacy, great to join the community !
Quick question, if someone kind can take 1 min to answer :)
I do not figure out how to play vs 6 Cicero IA in a short game (5 min or 10 min / turn).

Anyone can help me ?

When I "start an AI/bot game", i dont see any settings about turn time + I get no response from my messages.
The full-press bots don't appear to be available right now, just the old gunboat ones. Also, the gunboat bots ready orders pretty quickly - usually once you ready the turn will proceed. There was never any option to change the phase length for any of the bot games.

Josef IV

#125 Post by Josef IV » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:34 pm

Russian impressions of G1, second part.

Spring 1904: after the turkish build in CON, I send long press to England, partly due to upswing in emotion, partly to secure my northern border. I also immediately start a discussion with Italy about turning against Turkey, which I am for the first time absolutely genuine about. Italy offers support into SER, to which I agree. We also discuss the possibility of Italy moving to ALB to blow up the SER army. I have these orders set in for a long time, but then, soon before the deadline, Italy steps back and says that he will instead use his units against France. Whether that was mistrust of Italy, or good press from Yonni, I dont know. But as a result, I changed my orders to the anti-italian version that I have agreed upon with Turkey. This cements my alliance with Turkey, as I will no longer have the position to do anything about it. I also work with Germany against France in the center and do an agreed supported bounce in NOR with England. Futile efforts to get England to stab France continue, with great effort from my side.

Fall 1904: in the south, I play along the agreed lines with Turkey, giving him RUM in return for support in TRI. I also use BOH to support hold Germany in MUN. I saw the risk to VIE, but preferred to hold the center line. In the north, frustrated by the evident strength of EF, I stab Yigg for NOR. Its partly to keep myself as strong as possible, so that E and T are not tempted to squeeze me out (also as i saw the risk to VIE). I decide to do the weak stab, sending an army to NOR that cant further hurt Yigg, hoping I will be able to leverage things out should something bad happen in the south. This turn, Yonni had a good chance to stab me, had he helped Italy to TRI.

Winter 1904: I talk at length to Yigg and in the end decide for the defensive build in MOS, deliberately putting NOR at risk to keep door to England open. I still saw England as a possible partner, although my hopes were shifting more to a 4-way draw now, and I got thus more focused on further defense.

1905: I talk a LOT to Yigg throughout the entire phase, hoping to let him have NOR back, but at the same time disengage. Things turn out the worst possible way, as Yigg convoys to NOR, and all chances of a turn agaist France are gone. I make efforts nonetheless, but know that a turn is very unlikely. I also send MOS west in the fall, further commiting to the Jugg. Luckily for me, Yonni does not move into SEV. I intentionally keep BUD back so that he cant have a too good stab and make sure to clearly point out BUD is doing support holds and not moving. I also reestablish line to Italy, to coordinate against France. And we do the "Austria to MUN" move, which secures the center for the eastern powers, at least mid term. Its hard to say whether EF would be able to outmanouver us throug BAL/LIV somehow to cut supports.

Winter 1905 and 1906: Yigg proposes a draw, for which I am extremely grateful. I am still at the top of the SC count, but knowing its not going up much from here. I dont react quick to conceal my excitement, but then send that I would be fine both to draw (in public) and to continue (to Yonni publicly). The draw is first not agreed upon, so I start pondering whether to push west or send some reinforcement back east to secure from a stab, but then the game draws.

Conclusion: I think I played a good game overall, but see two big mistakes that I have made. The first was to focus so much on the long term alliance with Yigg. Once it became clear the EF is rock solid, I should have given more effort to my press with France. Not saying I would talk less to Yigg, that was both fun at times and productive, but more effort towards France would be good. Secondly (although it happed before), I should have been more direct to Turkey about the 1903 situation and that I dont want Austria in TRI. We would then avoid the TRI/CON issues and our game would be a bit faster, but mostly much less stressful. Had I not started this, there might have been more time and energy to play music toward the french ears.

Last but not least, I also think that this was a great game with great players. The end was relatively soon as game years go, but it felt right from inside the game based on press and relations. Also, the SoS scoring contributed to this. We would have played differently in a draw-size based game.

If there will be a next round, I would be happy to play :) You guys also mentioned Discord, so if you ever consider a live press game there, drop me a PM. Tried that only twice so far, but would be great pleasure to share such a game with this board.

Josef IV

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#126 Post by Yonni » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:15 am

Didn't realize how close I came to disaster there with you, Josef. Definitely had some tense moments there.

IRidePigs

#127 Post by IRidePigs » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:23 am

Josef IV wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:34 pm

If there will be a next round, I would be happy to play :) You guys also mentioned Discord, so if you ever consider a live press game there, drop me a PM. Tried that only twice so far, but would be great pleasure to share such a game with this board.

Josef IV
I've never done live press, how does that get organized online?
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

Josef IV

#128 Post by Josef IV » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm

IRidePigs wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:23 am
Josef IV wrote:

Josef IV

Sorry, this was bad terminology from my side. Live press games can be done on this site, like a normal press game, but with 15 or even 5 min phase length (was also called speed press I believe). Never tried that yet, but could also be fun :)

What I intended to say was a live game with voice chat over discord, can be done through one of the groups there (vWDC I think), I could find the link when back home. As for the moves adjudication, the game is usually played on backstabbr. Tried that only two times so far, was a different experience, but fun as well.

IRidePigs

#129 Post by IRidePigs » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:44 pm

Josef IV wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm
IRidePigs wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:23 am
Josef IV wrote:

Josef IV

Sorry, this was bad terminology from my side. Live press games can be done on this site, like a normal press game, but with 15 or even 5 min phase length (was also called speed press I believe). Never tried that yet, but could also be fun :)

What I intended to say was a live game with voice chat over discord, can be done through one of the groups there (vWDC I think), I could find the link when back home. As for the moves adjudication, the game is usually played on backstabbr. Tried that only two times so far, was a different experience, but fun as well.

I'd be real nervous about not getting my usual hours of rumination on simple moves, but I'd give it a shot.
And what rough pig, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be rode?

Yigg

#130 Post by Yigg » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:55 pm

I'd be in, but I think I'd have to wait until summer to be sure to have the time.