I am the G.O.A.T. of press - Any worthy challangers?

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
Dejan0707

Re: I am the G.O.A.T. of press - Any worthy challangers?

#161 Post by Dejan0707 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:42 pm

Thanks for the invite. It would be a great game for sure. As I changed my job, time time for diplomacy is hard to find. Not sure I can participate.

Ginge86

#162 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:50 pm

Dejan0707 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:42 pm
Thanks for the invite. It would be a great game for sure. As I changed my job, time time for diplomacy is hard to find. Not sure I can participate.
Completely understand mate and thankyou for responding.
If it makes a difference, this game is unlikely to start before the end of September anyway.
If a month or so would change things, let me know dates and I am happy to arrange around you.
It has become quite clear that if we want a game full of the best players, the game needs to be scheduled around them, so feel free to let me know when is good.

Yigg

#163 Post by Yigg » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:24 pm

Yonni wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:23 pm
Yigg, 'cmon join. We'll make it a good game. Ginge may be a bit of a showman but at least it's not another thread for fake passports or a game of mafia. (or people whinging about the site).
Oh man, it's hard to turn you down, Yonni.

So full disclosure, I've got a LOT of shit going down in real life which is making me very busy, and a month from now that gets turned up to 11. I can't promise that I would be able to issue timely press, nor can I promise my A-game.

...But you can pencil me in.

Ginge86

#164 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:39 pm

Yigg wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:24 pm
Yonni wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:23 pm
Yigg, 'cmon join. We'll make it a good game. Ginge may be a bit of a showman but at least it's not another thread for fake passports or a game of mafia. (or people whinging about the site).
Oh man, it's hard to turn you down, Yonni.

So full disclosure, I've got a LOT of shit going down in real life which is making me very busy, and a month from now that gets turned up to 11. I can't promise that I would be able to issue timely press, nor can I promise my A-game.

...But you can pencil me in.
RESPECT!!!
I am more than happy to schedule around you.
Thanks Yigg

Ginge86

#165 Post by Ginge86 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:54 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!
Our line up of superstars is nearing completion.

We currently have some of the biggest names in Web Diplomacy history signed up and this is going to be a showdown for the ages. This is a game that you truly do not want to miss.

Our star studded line up includes, in rank order

VillageIdiot - 4
Ginge86 AKA the GOAT - 11
Yonni - 18
Yigg - 69 (My favourite number of all time)

We are also in intense negotiations with our star man Dejan0707 who is currently ranked as number 2. I think I speak for the entire website when I say.

Dejan! Dejan! Dejan!
We love you Dejan!!!
This game wouldn't be the same without you. Lets talk and sort out dates.

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#166 Post by Doug7878 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:28 am

Found four more top 75 press players:
30 18322 dave bishop
38 33985 slyster
40 19489 martinck1
70 20243 millerso

Ginge86

#167 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:53 am

Doug7878 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:28 am
Found four more top 75 press players:
30 18322 dave bishop
38 33985 slyster
40 19489 martinck1
70 20243 millerso
Doug, your a good man, thanks again
Also, why are you not joining one of my games?
I think you should consider it, all players must attempt a solo, true diplomacy.
Let me know if your interested

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#168 Post by Doug7878 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:06 am

...and congrats to IRidePigs for jumping to #16 ranked press player.

VillageIdiot

#169 Post by VillageIdiot » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:08 am

JECE wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 pm
You up for hosting the next edition of the World Cup, Yigg? Nobody is hosting it now and the 2022/2023 edition hasn't happened.
Second this nomination. WebDip World Cup is my favourite of all tournaments.

Ginge86

#170 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:36 am

I third this nomination. It would be nice to have a tournament on here. Not seen one EVER, since I joined.

Nikola Maric Eto

#171 Post by Nikola Maric Eto » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:18 pm

After receiving that splendid invitation from MR. GOAT HIMSELF, I can only publicly express my fear and trembling. NME is in Switzerland, retired, so you young lions decide on who is the strongest between yourself! :zultar: for the champion.

Ginge86

#172 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:33 pm

Nikola Maric Eto wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:18 pm
After receiving that splendid invitation from MR. GOAT HIMSELF, I can only publicly express my fear and trembling. NME is in Switzerland, retired, so you young lions decide on who is the strongest between yourself! :zultar: for the champion.
Cheers for getting back to me
Don't worry about it, I have that affect on a lot of people on this site.
Thanks for my crown, I will look good in that.
If you change your mind or find your courage
You know where to find me ;-)

Dejan0707

#173 Post by Dejan0707 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:23 pm

VillageIdiot wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:08 am
JECE wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 pm
You up for hosting the next edition of the World Cup, Yigg? Nobody is hosting it now and the 2022/2023 edition hasn't happened.
Second this nomination. WebDip World Cup is my favourite of all tournaments.
Best thing ever, for sure. I always enyojed playing for South East Europe team (later renamed as The Balkans). Good old times. Hellalt, Hellenic Riot, and other great guys to play with.

Ginge86

#174 Post by Ginge86 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:10 pm

Serious Question

How is any new player on this site supposed to be able to get to number 1. When the GR system is reliant on playing other high ranked players and most of them no longer play? Or are too afraid to play?

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#175 Post by Doug7878 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:07 am

As long as you win, your Ghost Rating (GR) score (not rank necessarily) always increases, no matter who you play. It increases in relation to the GR ratings of the players you defeated, so you gain more by defeating players with higher GRs, but playing against highly ranked players is not necessary.

You have already passed over many players that you have never played against.

The difficulty is that you contribute to the "game pot" in relation to your GR, so losing becomes more expensive. Plus drawing becomes less valuable. Its possible to draw a game with lower-ranked players, and lose GR because you contributed more to the game pot than your split of the pot by being in the draw.

sweetandcool

#176 Post by sweetandcool » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:25 am

Ginge86 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:10 pm
Serious Question

How is any new player on this site supposed to be able to get to number 1. When the GR system is reliant on playing other high ranked players and most of them no longer play? Or are too afraid to play?
The system seems pretty wack. Most other games have an activity requirement, and if you don't play enough then you drop off the rankings until you play again. There is no reason why the top should be clogged with inactive players :P

VillageIdiot

#177 Post by VillageIdiot » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:56 am

Ginge86 wrote:
Serious Question

There’s three different paths that could lead to the top.
1) Beat the high rank people (which as you mention is tough)
2) Get a very high solo rate
3) Get there on volume of a lot of games of only draws and solos

I recommend #2. That’s when you’re really good anyways.

VillageIdiot

#178 Post by VillageIdiot » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:04 am

WebDips rating system is fairly broke these days. They have both webdip points and ghost ratings which is already confusing. The ‘Hall of Fame’ does break down by all time and ‘active in last 6 months’, but it doesn’t really filter right as the last 6 months section still has players who haven’t played in years. One of the reason I left was because I only looked at the ghost ratings and eventually they took away the full ranking list so you only knew yourself and was a lot of effort who you were chasing (as ginge is discovering know in trying to track down these players). The lack of easily viewable transparent scoreboard definitely takes away from the competitive energy of the site.
sweetandcool wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:25 am
Ginge86 wrote:
Serious Question

The system seems pretty wack. Most other games have an activity requirement, and if you don't play enough then you drop off the rankings until you play again. There is no reason why the top should be clogged with inactive players :P

Aristocrat

#179 Post by Aristocrat » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:20 am

VillageIdiot wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:04 am
WebDips rating system is fairly broke these days. They have both webdip points and ghost ratings which is already confusing. The ‘Hall of Fame’ does break down by all time and ‘active in last 6 months’, but it doesn’t really filter right as the last 6 months section still has players who haven’t played in years. One of the reason I left was because I only looked at the ghost ratings and eventually they took away the full ranking list so you only knew yourself and was a lot of effort who you were chasing (as ginge is discovering know in trying to track down these players). The lack of easily viewable transparent scoreboard definitely takes away from the competitive energy of the site.
sweetandcool wrote:
Ginge86 wrote:
Serious Question

Last six months means anyone who has logged in in the last six months, I think; it definitely doesn't mean anyone who has played in the last six months.

The solution, if the site needs one, is probably to do what many games do these days and break things up every year into different seasons. So each year or whatever scores reset to zero. And only public games should count for GR so folks can't game it, and losses should be tagged to dropouts.

But I also don't care that much, I just want to play dip...

sweetandcool

#180 Post by sweetandcool » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:14 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:20 am
VillageIdiot wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:04 am
sweetandcool wrote:

Last six months means anyone who has logged in in the last six months, I think; it definitely doesn't mean anyone who has played in the last six months.

The solution, if the site needs one, is probably to do what many games do these days and break things up every year into different seasons. So each year or whatever scores reset to zero. And only public games should count for GR so folks can't game it, and losses should be tagged to dropouts.

But I also don't care that much, I just want to play dip...
This would be great! Except I don't really care anymore either, I suspect the activity might be a bit pathetic anyways. Is gunboat more active? This thread has been about the top Press players, what about the top gunboat players?