Is it legal to CD and rejoin again and again out of spite?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
x3n

Is it legal to CD and rejoin again and again out of spite?

#1 Post by x3n » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Just curious because I've seen this in many of my recent games. I player who is doing poorly will not enter orders, delaying the game. They eventually go into civil disorder (and are marked as "Left"). But then they rejoin and repeat the process - stalling the game out indefinitely.

I would assume this is illegal, or at least heavily frowned upon. Should the moderators be notified? The Lodge Cheating Suspicion requires TWO nations so that doesn't work, but a direct e-mail to the mods could be done - but is that the correct response, or is it an acceptable tactic since the game was (apparently) set up to allow it?

JECE

Re: Is it legal to CD and rejoin again and again out of spite?

#2 Post by JECE » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:30 pm

I'd say that this goes against the spirit of the site rules, which say that you shouldn't exploit the software as a diplomatic tool. But the moderators would know best and can be reached via e-mail or here:
https://webdiplomacy.net/modforum.php
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by gimix » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:25 pm

The behaviour you describe is definitely unacceptable if repeated more than once.
I mean, if you miss your turn and had no excuses left you will be put in CD. The site allows you to rejoin, unless someone else subs in while you are gone, and this is ok.
But then you miss the turn again: this is unacceptable, and also a bit childish in my opinion.
The only safeguard the system offers against this is that at the fourth unexcused delay (in all games) the player gets temporary banned. But as JECE said, if you let us know what's happening, we will contact the player and ask them to stop doing that trick, and then sanction them if they don't oblige.

x3n

#4 Post by x3n » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:58 pm

Ah, I didn't know about the 4 delay limit. It's good to know that there is an eventual end to the stall (unless they make a new account I guess). Also good to know the behavior is "officially" frowned up. Thank you.