Openings against Bots

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
mongster_03

Openings against Bots

#1 Post by mongster_03 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm

How do I open as a diplomacy-heavy country (Austria, France, Italy, etc.) when I can't communicate with the bots?

captainmeme

Re: Openings against Bots

#2 Post by captainmeme » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm

France - open with a supported attack on Bur, and go into MAO. Honestly as France you're probably fine even if you do get attacked, it's pretty strong defensively.

Italy - throw a support hold on Tri and convoy to Tun if you want to work with austria, the support hold will do the communicating job for you

Austria - cancel and start another if you get attacked by everyone lol

Strauss

#3 Post by Strauss » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:15 pm

You haven't played any Gunboat game in your history. Gunboat is a variant of Diplomacy. In Gunboat, the players may not communicate with messages. The players may only communicate with their actions - special with orders. Find it out through experience.

Gunboat openings:
http://alb-gsb.com/index.php?id=gunopen
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/ ... e/Overview

Gunboat Strategy:
viewforum.php?f=3

shield

#4 Post by shield » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:47 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:10 pm
Austria - cancel and start another if you get attacked by everyone lol

My first bot game I randomed into Austria and thought I would be in trouble. I ended up "second"

19 (Germany)
8 (Austria)
4 (Turkey)

Despite the loss I felt pretty gangster. Not so bad for my first gunboat in 100 years and vs bots.

Went on to lose abysmally as France, Russia, and Italy. I guess Austria not so bad after all.