What should be done in this situation?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Flame

What should be done in this situation?

#1 Post by Flame » Sun May 01, 2022 4:24 am

Hi all!

If one player has got the domination on the board but another players managed to set a stalement line against him.

Nothing changed for several game years. The stalement line is still alive. But the leader doesn't want to press "Draw" cause he is awaiting for somebody's absence in the game.

Is this a correct sport attitude to the game process? How such situations are resolved here on webDiplomacy.net?
WebDiplomacy enthusiast. Adaptor of webdiplomacy variants: Classic Cataclysm, Classic 1898, Classic 1898 Fog of War, Punic Wars, Western World 901, 13th Century Mongolian Empire, Speed Europa, Minor Power.

C0nd0r

Re: What should be done in this situation?

#2 Post by C0nd0r » Sun May 01, 2022 5:07 am

They might be wanting you or other stalemates to eliminate players with low sc counts, especially if the dominant power is backing away or supporting into the sc's of powers with only 1 or 2 sc. My view of the WebDip "attitude/culture" towards this scenario in DSS (SoS is different, but I have a feeling this issue is in DSS) tends to be to eliminate these minority powers when the stalemate line is not at risk. Most players don't want to let these minimal powers (especially powers with only 1 sc) into a draw in a ranked game, especially if they are the dominant power. I am not aware of a way to resolve this, but the mods might be able to step in.
Diplomacy is the art of letting somebody else have your way. -David Frost
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. -Will Rogers
Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sun May 01, 2022 9:25 am

I believe it is still the case that if the game is stalemated with no substantial change for a number of phases you may ask the mods to intervene and impose a draw. Obviously some time is appropriate to allow for the various players to consider their position and whether they might want to attempt to change their strategy, but it isn't at all fair for this to be dragged out indefinitely.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Milky

#4 Post by Milky » Sun May 01, 2022 11:21 am

If the reason is because a player could go absent, the mods should be contacted and they will force the game to draw.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by gimix » Mon May 02, 2022 7:48 am

From the "Help - moderator policies" page:
We will only force games to draw if they are at a stalemate with no SC's changing hands and no possible sign of a breakthrough. If alerted to such a scenario; we will email the player(s) holding the game up and ask them how they plan to break through. If we deem their plan to be unrealistic, or it includes hoping for misorders or for players to miss phases, then we may force a game to draw.

lunauna

#6 Post by lunauna » Mon May 02, 2022 3:49 pm

Happy 10,000th game everyone!

DarthPorg36

#7 Post by DarthPorg36 » Mon May 02, 2022 10:50 pm

as far as I can tell we're way past that. we're close to 200,000.

C0nd0r

#8 Post by C0nd0r » Tue May 03, 2022 12:59 am

Past it now:
Showing results 1 to 20 of 200,590 total results.
Diplomacy is the art of letting somebody else have your way. -David Frost
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. -Will Rogers
Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.