Joining games / reliability advice

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Jaguar

Joining games / reliability advice

#1 Post by Jaguar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:07 am

Hi all,

I used to play games on this site from 2012-2013 and only recently recovered my account.

It's been years since I played. i tried to join a game that started this morning (I think that commenced at 0745) but must have missed my turn as think I was kicked and reliability is now at 0%.

Two quick questions: 1) when it says a game commences at 'x' time, does that mean I have to put my orders in before then (apologies, very rusty on this!)?, and 2) how long will it take for my reliability to recover as I'm really keen to play again but made a mistake this morning. Have only been able to join one game out of 45 on the 'new game' board.

Thank you in advance for advice.

captainmeme

Re: Joining games / reliability advice

#2 Post by captainmeme » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:06 pm

Hey Jaguar,

The 'game commences at' timer is a bit misleading, as all games that aren't 15min/phase or lower will actually commence as soon as they have the required number of players. The game you joined was a 12h/phase one, so once it started you had 12 hours to put your orders in before you triggered an Excused Missed Turn, and then another 12 hours before it kicked you out of the game.

I've excused your missed turns manually so you're back up to 100% and should be able to join games again. Please be careful about checking in regularly enough in future though - and especially check how long phases are, because 12h/phase games do require checking in quite often! 24h or 36h games tend to be more manageable.

Cap

Jaguar

Re: Joining games / reliability advice

#3 Post by Jaguar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Thanks very much for that. Noted on flexible start times.