rule question about cutting support

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
BlueDog4Peace

rule question about cutting support

#1 Post by BlueDog4Peace » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi experts - A new player here, trying to understand rules about cutting of support through attack. I thought the rule was that a support is cut when the supporting unit is attacked. Is that always the case?
Here's the scenario, with a [url]picture saved on Drive[https://drive.google.com/file/d/17WnvNY ... sp=sharing].
1. Sevastapol will be attacked from Armenia with Black Sea support.
2. Sevast attacks Black Sea with Rum support.
3. Rum support gets cut by a separate attack.
Shouldn't that result in a deadlock? Sevast doesn't move to Black Sea, but does cut Black Sea's support of Armenia. Armenia attacks Sevast but without support, so can't move in. No one goes anywhere.
What happened was Armenia moved in. I'm missing something...

Rheibaen

Re: rule question about cutting support

#2 Post by Rheibaen » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:21 pm

The key here is that an attack from location A to location B does NOT cut support of Location C attacking Location A. If Rumania had tried to move into Black Sea with support from Sevastapol, then it would've resulted in a deadlock (all supports being cut from locations not themselves under attack).

BlueDog4Peace

#3 Post by BlueDog4Peace » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 pm

Thank you! That's clear.
It's an interesting game - I'm liking it. Feeling like Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a hill. Advance, retreat, advance, retreat. But in alliance, or in at least in struggle, with others. It's good.

KalelChase
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by KalelChase » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:32 pm

Not specifically about cutting support, but an interesting maneuver.

In your example if Galicia supported Ukraine to Rumania.
1) it wouldn't go because you can't support into your self.
2) if Budapest supported Serbia also into Rumania then it would be two on two (Fleet Rum doesn't factor into it) which would be a bounce.
This would have freed up Fleet Rumania to hit Black Sea and still be protected against 'invasion'.

I believe in the rule-book this is called Beleaguered Garrison. This and the 'self-bounce' to cover three spaces are not used as often as I think they are useful.

It's a fantastic game that I haven't gotten tired of in 35 years (when we played by analog mail). Welcome to the hobby. Hope to stab you later.

BlueDog4Peace

#5 Post by BlueDog4Peace » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:32 am

Thanks KalelChase. And re stabbing, the same in return - may you never see it coming, and enjoy it nonetheless.