Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

#1 Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm

It's possible to simultaneously pursue multiple alliances—in fact, I strongly advise it. Check out this new piece!
Solo Win Tip #7: Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

I worked on this one for a long time, and it's pretty thorough. Hope you learn something!

Sunstriker

Re: Make Friends, then Choose Enemies

#2 Post by Sunstriker » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:37 am

Sweeeet! I'm excited to give this a read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :DD

Carol

#3 Post by Carol » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 am

That was an interesting read. I always assumed that telling someone you're faking an alliance with a 3rd party would make them doubt your sincerity towards them. Though perhaps that's because I myself lean towards paranoia.

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by swordsman3003 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:55 pm

When playing a close alliance, it is important—critical, even—to convey to everyone else that you are NOT playing a close alliance; if you make the fact of your alliance too obvious, the other players will unite against you. A great way to stop players from uniting against your close alliance is to create Trojan Horse alliances with your victims (e.g., Russia and Italy play Wintergreen, but start with a Trojan Horse alliance with Austria to prevent an Austria/Turkey alliance from forming).

This is pretty common. At a high level of play, the point I just made is common knowledge. So, it's not bad form to say that are forming a sham alliance with an eventual enemy of your actual alliance. In fact, that may be the only way to prevail. Since it common and effective, this kind of play isn't any more inherently suspicious than anything else.

VillageIdiot

#5 Post by VillageIdiot » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 pm

I can relate to all of this. Another great article!

swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by swordsman3003 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:47 pm

I got a really positive response on this article from experienced players; thanks VI!

Fitzy6

#7 Post by Fitzy6 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:54 am

Have just joined the site and looking forward to a few games!

Am interested in how we ensure people with friendships don’t taint the game and work against lone wolfs or noobs like me?

TemplarsBane

#8 Post by TemplarsBane » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:12 pm

Fitzy6 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:54 am
Have just joined the site and looking forward to a few games!

Am interested in how we ensure people with friendships don’t taint the game and work against lone wolfs or noobs like me?
Well there are a couple things in place. First off Rule 2 (no metagaming) exists. It prevents anyone who knows each other in real life to knowingly join a game together on the site. So you can be safe knowing that in your games, no one will join that has a friendship outside the game.

There are certainly some vets on the site that know each other by reputation, have played games together on here, have grudges against or preferences towards each other. That's sort of the nature of the thing. But in general, if you've played long enough to "get to know" anyone in the game, you've also played long enough to know better than to let it influence the next game you play with someone.

So it is very very rare to find a game where people are teaming up based on knowledge outside of that single game.

Another good tool to generally prevent that is to play in anonymous games. That way no one knows who anyone is and you don't have people looking up your profile during the game, seeing how skilled you are, remembering past games they've played with you etc. You don't know who anyone is.

I actually like anonymous games as a high point player because sometimes people will target me just because I have a lot of points (which just means I've played a lot of games, not that I'm good). So anonymous games sort of protect everyone.

GracchusBabeuf

#9 Post by GracchusBabeuf » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:41 am

This is a great thread. A lot of what is stated here is stuff that I was starting to glean from my games but hadn't really formulated into concrete ideas.