Just convoy around

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Brinbino

Just convoy around

#1 Post by Brinbino » Sat May 29, 2021 4:39 pm

A question about convoying. I'm sure it has been asked before, but any previous post wasn't obvious when I looked...

My understanding is that if you have to adjacent coastal provinces, and want to swap the units in each (i.e. unit in A goes to B whilst unit in B goes to A), this is possible if you convoy one unit and move the other by land. Is this doable on webdiplomacy?

I ask because I also understand that in order to avoid allowing hostile convoying, you have to specify whether you want to allow a unit accept a convoy (by choosing a 'move to X (via convoy)' move order) and it does not appear to be an available option to move 'via convoy' to an adjacent province.

To give a concrete example, which definitely has nothing to do with any game I am currently playing, if:-
Austria have a fleet in Adriatic and an army in Trieste and Italy have an army in Venice, and Austria know that the Italian army is moving to Trieste, then
  • I expect I could convoy the army in Trieste to Venice with the fleet in the Adriatic
  • to do this I would normally expect the to input 'Army Trieste moves to Venice (via convoy)' and 'Fleet Adriatic convoys Trieste to Venice'
However the army move options only state 'Army Trieste moves to Venice', there is no explicit 'via convoy' option. Does this mean that the convoy is not an available option in this case?

Thanks

teccles

Re: Just convoy around

#2 Post by teccles » Sat May 29, 2021 6:12 pm

After you select the option to move to Venice, a further dropdown should appear with 'via land' or 'via convoy'. If you select via convoy, you can make this swap.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by cdngooner » Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm

I'm afraid you're not seeing what I'm seeing in WebDip's interface. Whenever convoy is an option, there is always a "via land" or "via convoy" drop down menu that appears if you give a move order.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#4 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 am

Out of curiosity, I tried this convoy and I found that the options for the army in Trieste were all around and only Apulia via convoy, not Venice or Albania.

Brinbino

#5 Post by Brinbino » Sun May 30, 2021 12:33 pm

teccles wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:12 pm
After you select the option to move to Venice, a further dropdown should appear with 'via land' or 'via convoy'. If you select via convoy, you can make this swap.
You know what, I've seen that via land selection every day for the year and two days I've been playing on the site and never even considered wondering what it does. I have also learned something about myself and it makes me very sad.

Thanks for the help

JECE

#6 Post by JECE » Sun May 30, 2021 7:13 pm

It's worth noting that an army ordered to move 'via convoy' will still take the land route if no convoy is ordered. This is intentional and the recommended implementation of the rules according to the DATC. Unless you're specifically trying to avoid your army getting kidnapped, it's probably best to not think too much about it and just switch 'via land' to 'via convoy' every time that you see the drop-down menu pop up.

jay65536

#7 Post by jay65536 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm

While others here are more familiar with the interface than I am, the actual rules (the 2000 edition, which is most recent) are extremely subtle here.

To the OP’s example, if you have an army you wish to swap, and it is your own fleet doing the convoying, you can just issue the order. When it is your own fleet, the army automatically takes the convoy.

The army will not automatically take the convoy if you are anticipating a different country’s fleet will convoy you. To take a convoy from a foreign fleet (or chain of fleets) to a province you could have moved to by land, THAT is when you must specify “via convoy”.

If you are in a situation where your army is taking a convoy, and the convoy is unavailable (either because it was unordered or broken), the army does not move.

JECE

#8 Post by JECE » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm

jay65536 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm
If you are in a situation where your army is taking a convoy, and the convoy is unavailable (either because it was unordered or broken), the army does not move.
It's more nuanced than that. See 4.A.3. of the DATC:
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/L.B.Kruijswijk/#4.A.3

"Note that if there is only a land route possible, the intent is unimportant. That means that if the order contains 'via Convoy' and there is no possible convoy route ordered, the land route should still be considered (see also test case 6.G.8)."