New to the site - looking to play with friends

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
RandomThoughts

New to the site - looking to play with friends

#1 Post by RandomThoughts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Hello all,

I just joined the site, about five minutes ago, looking for a place to play a round of remote Diplomacy with friends.

Now, one of the first things I saw upon registration was a warning that we're not allowed to play public games with people we privately know.

I just wanted to clarify what that means? Can I set up a game for my friends by making the game private, asking players to insert an invite code, etc.?

And if not, can anyone guide me to a platform where we can set up our private game?

On a slightly different topic, is there a way to set up a game with 24 hour turns, but exclude weekends? Meaning, we skip the weekends, then continue on a 24 hours cycle on Monday. Probably not, but I got asked and wanted to clarify.

Thanks for having me, and please accept my apology for asking stupid questions!

RT

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: New to the site - looking to play with friends

#2 Post by gimix » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Hello and welcome
Yes, we ask you don't play with your friends in public games, but you're welcome to setup private games with anyone you want to.

Re the weekend pause, no, there is no such option.
But you can easily agree with your friends to pause the game on Fryday evenings and resume it on Mondays. To keep things smooth I would suggest all players but one cast their pause/unpause votes as soon as possible, so there is just one person in charge of effectively stop and restart the game.
Or, you may create a longer phases game, and agree to ready up orders on working days without waiting for the turn to expire.