New to the Site - Looking to set up a private Game

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
RandomThoughts

New to the Site - Looking to set up a private Game

#1 Post by RandomThoughts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Hello all,

I just joined the site, about five minutes ago, looking for a place to play a round of remote Diplomacy with friends.

Now, one of the first things I saw upon registration was a warning that we're not allowed to play public games with people we privately know.

I just wanted to clarify what that means. Can I set up a game for my friends by making the game private, asking players to insert an invite code, etc.?

And if not, can anyone guide me to a platform where we can set up our private game?

On a slightly different topic, is there a way to set up a game with 24 hour turns, but exclude weekends? Meaning, we skip the weekends, then continue on a 24 hours cycle on Monday. Probably not, but I got asked and wanted to clarify.

Thanks for having me, and please accept my apology for asking stupid questions!

RT

RandomThoughts

Re: New to the Site - Looking to set up a private Game

#2 Post by RandomThoughts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Apologies for the double post - I'm currently trying to delete this thread again, but I haven't figured yet out how.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by Szpoti » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Hiya and welcome to webDip!

Private game means that it is password-protected and only accessible to those who know the password. Private games are precisely the arena where friends and other people who know one another in RL can freely play the game.
Public games are accessible by anyone whose Reliability Rating and available paints allow. They aren't password-protected. And here, in an attempt to make the gaming experience as positive as possible, we do not allow playing with and against friends, family, and anyone known in RL.

The length of the turn is the MAXIMUM time allocated to players to submit their orders. Normally, the turn will immediately end when all the players have readied their orders. So my suggestion would be to make a game with, say, 3-day turns. On weekdays, you would all ready the orders, and thus shorten the turn. And at the weekends, you could leave the game on the full length, and return before its end on Monday.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by Szpoti » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:33 pm

RandomThoughts wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm
Apologies for the double post - I'm currently trying to delete this thread again, but I haven't figured yet out how.
Players do not have powers to delete their own posts on Forum.

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#6 Post by RoganJosh » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:52 pm

RandomThoughts wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:14 pm
On a slightly different topic, is there a way to set up a game with 24 hour turns, but exclude weekends? Meaning, we skip the weekends, then continue on a 24 hours cycle on Monday. Probably not, but I got asked and wanted to clarify.
As was already said, you can set up 3-day turns and press "ready" earlier during the week.

You could also use vDiplomacy (https://www.vdiplomacy.com/), which is a clone of webDip where you have much more control over the parameters of the game.