help for newbie

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
MorganC

help for newbie

#1 Post by MorganC » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 pm

im new this guys (not played a game yet) so please forgive the basic questions.

1) what are the different messaging settings you can set up in a game and what do each do? im confused about how the game would actually work if you cant message people to set up alliances?

2) how do you edit a games settings once you've created it ?

thanks in advance

Bonatogether

Re: help for newbie

#2 Post by Bonatogether » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:38 pm

MorganC wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 pm
im new this guys (not played a game yet) so please forgive the basic questions.

1) what are the different messaging settings you can set up in a game and what do each do? im confused about how the game would actually work if you cant message people to set up alliances?

2) how do you edit a games settings once you've created it ?

thanks in advance
Hello!

1) Full press is the normal/default option, where you can send private messages to any player at any time, and global press to everyone. Public Press is when all messages are revealed and are available to everyone, and gunboat is when no messages may be sent. There's also rulebook press, which is you can only send messages during movement phases.

2) You can't edit them during a game, but I think the mods can?

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by gimix » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:05 pm

Hello and welcome!
Bonatogether's reply is totally correct. I just want to elaborate a bit about your question, how can you possibly play "Diplomacy without diplomacy". The answer is, you can. You won't talk to other players but there are a lot of subtle ways to show them your intentions, and to guess theirs.

If you want to know more be sure to check the Diplomacy Resources thread on this forum https://www.webdiplomacy.net/contrib/ph ... p?f=6&t=37

Uh, and yes, mods can change game settings, provided you have a reasonable motive to ask ;)

MorganC

#4 Post by MorganC » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:18 pm

brilliant thanks guys.

Bonatogether

#5 Post by Bonatogether » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 am

No problem :-D

MorganC

#6 Post by MorganC » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:05 am

on another note, is there somewhere you can set on notifications, of when a game starts or when a turn will start/end something like that ?

Bonatogether

#7 Post by Bonatogether » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:13 am

MorganC wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:05 am
on another note, is there somewhere you can set on notifications, of when a game starts or when a turn will start/end something like that ?
If you're in a game and haven't readied your orders, then it'll appear at the top of the website.

Claesar

#8 Post by Claesar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:01 am

MorganC wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:05 am
A tip from user JordanMO:
Helpful tip: The Chrome Extension "Page Monitor" https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jajcajepgg is very useful for letting you know when you have mail or an action to take}
I haven't tried it myself so can't help you any further. This extension is not affiliated with us.

MorganC

#9 Post by MorganC » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 am

thanks again. yeah i wasn't clear in my post but i meant by email or some other form other than just checking on the website.

ive installed the page monitor and visual ping. ill post here if i can get it to work :eyeroll:

MorganC

#10 Post by MorganC » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:51 pm

ok i did get it to work, but you have to set monitors on each game page (i think) and you're limited to monitor 2 before having to pay, for virtual ping anyway. in the end ill just log in and check every day since thats the turns i play. It really should have a built in notification system.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#11 Post by gimix » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 pm

I believe you may just monitor the home page, since you get notifications for all your games there