Etiquette when games delayed

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Maniac
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Etiquette when games delayed

#1 Post by Maniac » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:05 am

Quick question.

If the processing of games is delayed I’m assuming we can alter our orders and when the games restart the new orders are processed rather than the old ones.

My question is SHOULD we change the orders? It feels like bad etiquette to me particular In talking games when the site going down has given more time for discussions.

Thoughts?

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Etiquette when games delayed

#2 Post by gimix » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 am

I don't know whether this has ever been discussed. But what do you do in case of an NMR, or a CD? Do you feel free to continue your negotiations, and change your orders if needed?
I don't see any special difference between a delay caused by an NMR and one caused by the system.

On the other hand IIRC in the current World Cup games, when a player requested a pause, our beloved TD Goldfinger gunboated the game for the duration of the pause (but he didn't do so in the case of an NMR, and nothing was said about not changing your orders). I presume this was meant to avoid "strategic" use of pause requests though, so it's totally a different matter.

Claesar

Re: Etiquette when games delayed

#3 Post by Claesar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am

gimix wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:59 am
On the other hand IIRC in the current World Cup games, when a player requested a pause, our beloved TD Goldfinger gunboated the game for the duration of the pause ...
That was also to not give the other players an unfair extra amount of negotation time during the pause.