BrotherBored's Diplomacy Dojo

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
swordsman3003
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

BrotherBored's Diplomacy Dojo

#1 Post by swordsman3003 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

I will be hosting a weekly 1-hour online meetup with the goal of improving at Diplomacy.

For now, we will be meeting on Saturdays, 3pm-4pm EDT on Google Hangouts. The time and conferencing software might be changed in the future, but for now they are set.

If you are interested in an invitation, PM me for a calendar invite. I will need your email address for the invite, but I won't share it with others. The event has a hidden guest list and only I can see all the email addresses.

This is intended to be a video conference where we speak out loud, look each other in the eye, and share screens to discuss complex questions. If that idea makes you uncomfortable, don't come. Personally, I have to do face-to-face video all the time now for my job and to see my family, so I am quite used to it.

Nobody is required to actually say anything in particular, but I think you will get out of it what you put in.

Here is what I've written for the Google Calendar event:
Welcome to BrotherBored's Diplomacy Dojo. This is a weekly meeting hosted by BrotherBored. Players of any skill level are invited to participate. BrotherBored will not be lecturing or giving a presentation; together we will be having a conversation about improving at Diplomacy. We are there to help each other. If you think you are learning something, listen! If you think you can help someone, speak up! If you are not getting anything out of the meeting, say adios!

To give some structure to help us get started each week, please arrive at the meeting with some ideas or notes for the following subjects:
1. Since we last met, I studied, practiced, or thought about _____.
2. This week, I am most interested in improving at ______.
3. I am curious to hear others' thoughts on ______.

Although actual Diplomacy matches can involve tense, aggressive, and even cruel communication styles, a rude manner of speaking is unwelcome in the Diplomacy Dojo. BrotherBored asks that each participant speak politely and be supportive of other participants. If you interrupt, harass, or put down others, you may not be welcome back in the future.