How can I cancel a Bot game?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
MartyMoose

How can I cancel a Bot game?

#1 Post by MartyMoose » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Folks
Hi. I find that draw and cancel can’t stop a bot game. Is there a way to stop it? I can just bang through, but that’s gets boring.
Thanks

MartyMoose

Re: How can I cancel a Bot game?

#2 Post by MartyMoose » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 am

Got it. Never mind🤫

CBro27

#3 Post by CBro27 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:28 am

I was wondering the same thing. How did you do it?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#4 Post by Squigs44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:43 am

Just like in any game you play, every power must be voting cancel or draw for it to occur. In the case of the bots, all bots will vote cancel if you do, in the first 2 years (it might be 1 year) I think. After that initial time, bots will never vote cancel. Bots will vote draw at any time during the game if they are not in the lead, or if they do not have more supply centers than they did two years previous.

Basically if you want to draw a bot game, put in your draw vote and then force a stalemate or take the lead. The bots are programmed this way to prevent users from just canceling games that they are losing. Canceling games in that way wont help you learn as well, and gives us bad data to work with.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#5 Post by Squigs44 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 am

I think we put an explanation for this when you click on the question mark next to the voting options for bot games. It's been a minute since I've played one so I cant quite remember.

Bladerunners

#6 Post by Bladerunners » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:11 am

My advice is to always immediately cancel a game as Austria when Italy attacks = so the Bots don't learn that this is a feasible attack (although I still strongly believe a design flaw...)

DougJoe

#7 Post by DougJoe » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:21 pm

Bladerunners wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:11 am
My advice is to always immediately cancel a game as Austria when Italy attacks = so the Bots don't learn that this is a feasible attack (although I still strongly believe a design flaw...)
I didn't think the classic bots were learning from "new" games that they play, only from the games they were previously trained on (which was a long time ago) ... someone in the know please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bladerunners

#8 Post by Bladerunners » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:32 am

Just in case of the rare possibility that bots are learning (I disagree they are but in case) ... always good to cancel game immediately when Italy attacks Austria ,,... this happens in 80% of games which is very much against how the game normally goes (developers did nice job with the game but perhaps didn't know enough about how usually a horrible idea for Italy to attack austria outright most of the time)