Teaching New Players

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Pompeii

Teaching New Players

#1 Post by Pompeii » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:35 am

Hey everyone just thought I'd come on here and ask if you guys have any pointers for introducing and reintroducing some friends of mine to Diplomacy and how to make sure they have a good time while playing. I'm a lot more experienced than them in the game, but due to only 6 being interested I wanted to play with them so they get the full experience. I at least know I shouldn't try hard and go for the win because it's not fun for anyone that way if I stomp them before they even have any substantial playtime and are still figuring out the rules, but I was curious about what type of role I could play that would both be fun and help teach lessons.

My current plan is to play kingmaker or fast and loose siding with whoever has better/more intriguing moves. I think between the other players on the board they can get their fill of backstabs and plotting, so unfortunately no great stabs for me in this one (unless they reallllly are asking for it :evil: ). If you all have any experience with this I'd be happy to hear about either your successes or failures in order to make sure they have a good time.

One of my few worries is it usually seems like there's going to be at least one player who just gets the worse end of the deal and is out first (usually a new Austrian player :cry: ). I'm not sure if that should be a sword I try and fall on for their sake and to boost their early enjoyment of "taking down the vet" or if it would be disingenuous or unfair to artificially allow a few nations to get SC advantages over the rest of the board by playing too dumb.

One thing I have thought of doing while writing this is that when we go into the order writing phase we will end negotiations per rulebook press, submit my turns first and not alter them so that players can freely ask me any and all rule questions and if their moves will work (but not to give advice). I know from firsthand experience it can be extremely frustrating to know what you want to do, but not submitting the moves correctly.

Sorry for the wall of text, but thought I'd ask, share some things I've already thought of, and see what the rest of the community has to add about this. Hopefully by the end of it Diplomacy will have six new players 8-).

cdazz30

Re: Teaching New Players

#2 Post by cdazz30 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:01 pm

I've recently realized that, as Austria, if you don't defend Galicia on the first turn you're likely going to be the first one eliminated

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:38 pm

To be honest I think trying to engineer a Truman Show style idealised game of diplomacy would be an error. Sure, do your best to help with the mechanics (the idea of dedicating some time after your orders to help with such questions is an interesting one, and may prove to be effective) but you should always aim to win. Yeah, play a relaxed game, don't think too hard about your moves, and don't check too thoroughly for errors so a mistakes or two can enter in to it. But do try to win, otherwise you're not really a Diplomacy player and it's important for people new to the game to see what a Diplomacy player should look like.

And you never know, you may be able to get some people to volunteer to be around to answer questions your new players may have as the game progresses. As long as they don't expect too much time and effort to be expended.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Pompeii

#4 Post by Pompeii » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:01 pm

That is a very fair point, and probably the best route to go. Emphasize that every one wants to win, and that should be your only goal because if they play independently that is what they'll get in other games. To present it otherwise would be disingenuous and not in the spirit of the game. As for the one player getting a raw deal and defeated first that's unavoidable and not something to fret about. Just do my best to set expectations for people and to not get too upset about it and reinforce the "if you have a piece you're still influential" mentality.

Ogion

#5 Post by Ogion » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:06 pm

If you can find a seventh, you could try a school of war, where you comment and critique all the moves of the seven beginners.

Have we run one of those recently?

cdazz30

#6 Post by cdazz30 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:15 pm

Ogion wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:06 pm
If you can find a seventh, you could try a school of war, where you comment and critique all the moves of the seven beginners.

Have we run one of those recently?
I had no idea something like that existed. I’d be happy to join!

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#7 Post by Hamilton Brian » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:46 pm

We had several Schools of War many years ago. Each player would get a coach, then there were "professors" that would offer feedback for the game state each phase.

It's a lot of work but it's very worthwhile in terms of developing game consciousness. We even had some for gunboat games.

I won't say it's made me a good player but it opened my eyes to things I hadn't paid attention to before. It was so good I wanted to participate more than once. The perspectives you get are incredibly helpful.

I think we can run it by the vets to see about interest. I'd love to help organize it and be a coach.

Ogion

#8 Post by Ogion » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:41 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:46 pm

I think we can run it by the vets to see about interest. I'd love to help organize it and be a coach.
I've been student, coach, and (I think) professor. I'd be happy to participate again.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#9 Post by Hamilton Brian » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:29 pm

Ogion wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:41 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:46 pm

I've been student, coach, and (I think) professor. I'd be happy to participate again.
I thought so! I'll PN you and see if we can get a ball of sorts running.