Announcements should only be posted by moderators

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.
Marlinspike

Announcements should only be posted by moderators

#1 Post by Marlinspike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Only moderators should be authorized to post announcements and the comments should be closed to keep it clean. Discussion about announcements should take place in a forum. This keeps announcements in chronological order.

JECE

Re: Announcements should only be posted by moderators

#2 Post by JECE » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:15 pm

Chill, when there is a real announcement you will see a banner message at the top of every page of the website, even off the Forum. Obviously, only moderators can post messages that way. Perhaps those messages should be recorded somewhere, but the Announcements subforum wouldn't be the place for that.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Marlinspike

#3 Post by Marlinspike » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03 am

This is my point. I’m a knucklehead noob and here I am taking over the top of the “Announcements” forum, where most people expect to find official announcements and, like me, read it to get a gauge on what is officially transpiring in a community.

I came here after seeing the news about Meta’s AI being tested here, and I find a forum rife with petty infighting and clearly distracted from the mission of supporting/growing the WebDip community.

Jamiet99uk

Re: I think I am superior to everyone else

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:28 am

Marlinspike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:00 pm
Only moderators should be authorized to post announcements and the comments should be closed to keep it clean. Discussion about announcements should take place in a forum. This keeps announcements in chronological order.
Who put you in charge?

Awfully bossy and opinionated for a new player.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

Marlinspike

#5 Post by Marlinspike » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:09 pm

I’m in a race with the makers of PP sauce cups to deface this forum. Right now we’re neck-and-neck. ;-)

JECE

#6 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:38 pm

Marlinspike wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:03 am
This is my point. I’m a knucklehead noob and here I am taking over the top of the “Announcements” forum, where most people expect to find official announcements and, like me, read it to get a gauge on what is officially transpiring in a community.

I came here after seeing the news about Meta’s AI being tested here, and I find a forum rife with petty infighting and clearly distracted from the mission of supporting/growing the WebDip community.
You don't have to scroll very far to find the announcement that you are looking for:

https://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=318996&sid=5c7733bcbc1f6b67c505f67bb881cdac#p318996

The Meta AI announcement was also advertised in a prominent banner message for several months.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you here (and I actually think that the "infighting" was pretty serious, not "petty"):
Marlinspike wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:30 pm
I'm new to this community, and one of the first things I see is the announcement of the resignation of a longtime high ranking member of the community.

Not a good look for new people.
But your "point" in this thread doesn't hold. Most webDiplomacy users are not users of the webDiplomacy Forum. If you're excited about the Meta AI thing, then go ahead and bump the old thread. To boost Forum activity, it makes sense to let n00bs like you do that.
See my full Profile:

Octavious

Re: I think I am superior to everyone else

#7 Post by Octavious » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:28 am
Marlinspike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:00 pm
Who put you in charge?

Awfully bossy and opinionated for a new player.
Indeed he is. Impressive stuff :-D
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

CaptainFritz28

#8 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:01 pm

Perhaps, and I think this is what Marlin is getting at, there should be a forum where announcements go and can't be responded to, keeping them in chronological order and restricted to the mods. Meanwhile, each announcement would also be posted here, allowing for discussion. All it would take is the creation of a new forum with the ability to post restricted to mods (called "Announcements"), the changing of the name of this forum (to "Announcement Discussion") and a copy and paste of each announcement posted by the mods in one to the other.
Ferre ad Finem!

Esquire Bertissimmo

#9 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:14 pm

CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:01 pm
Perhaps, and I think this is what Marlin is getting at, there should be a forum where announcements go and can't be responded to, keeping them in chronological order and restricted to the mods. Meanwhile, each announcement would also be posted here, allowing for discussion. All it would take is the creation of a new forum with the ability to post restricted to mods (called "Announcements"), the changing of the name of this forum (to "Announcement Discussion") and a copy and paste of each announcement posted by the mods in one to the other.
The old fogeys, who are *the* core constituency on WebDip, are happy with the imperfections. There seems to be extremely limited development time. And besides, I'm struggling to think of a recent official announcement that would need highlighting in this way.

Moreover, I think the PP Sauce discussion is fun and it serves as a fairly representative introduction to what this forum is like :-)

CaptainFritz28

#10 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:30 pm

Fair points. I suppose if no one else thinks it an issue, it isn't really an issue. If an announcement is made by the mods, people will see it. If they don't, then it wasn't important enough for the mods to put it on the front page of the site, in which case it wasn't all too important to the average WebDipper in the first place.

And to Marlin, Bert raises a good point. If discussing PP sauce cups doesn't attract you to the forum... perhaps you'd better stick with just playing Diplomacy on here. On the other hand, you could add your voice to the cacophony of opinions that is the politics subforum, or just bring up your own topics (as you have been, which I commend you for).
Ferre ad Finem!

Marlinspike

#11 Post by Marlinspike » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 pm

I guess it comes down to whether or not the purpose of the forum is to support WebDip gameplay and grow the community of Diplomacy players. I would argue that this forum is distracted/distracting from that purpose in a variety of ways.

Personally, I prefer this platform and think it’s a shame that there is so much distraction. The forum *could* be a valuable tool for the development and growth of the WebDip community, but there seems to be a lack of capacity to make it so.

Fixing this Announcement sub forum is trivial. How about fixing the Mentor program?

I see so much potential and opportunity here at WebDip, yet, here we are.

BTW - I first joined WebDip back in 2014, then dropped out. Now I’m back and I’m totally hooked on playing ai/bot and really like the improved interface. I want to get more involved in the community, but…

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#12 Post by Yonni » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:40 pm

Be the change you want to see in the world, Marlinspike. I'm sure they're welcome your support.

CaptainFritz28

#13 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:41 pm

True. It can be distracting. But to a certain extent, I think that that is part of its purpose. It is meant to be different from the rest of the site. But I think what you will notice if you stick around longer is that people do ask questions on the "Diplomacy Advice" and "Diplomacy Strategy" subforums, and they get answered. That and other things like it seem to fulfill the supporting the community role. Changing the announcements subforum, I don't think, will really affect that.

I do agree, though, that the mentor-novice program should be reinstated. I also think moderation needs better and more frequent checks. There are some things to be fixed on this site, certainly, but I don't think restricting all access to announcement posting is one of them.
Ferre ad Finem!

Aristocrat

#14 Post by Aristocrat » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:38 pm

There are people who want to support (with forum moderation, game moderation, etc.). The lack of action is on the site admin side getting those new people onboarded AFAIK.

JECE

#15 Post by JECE » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:10 am

Marlinspike wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 pm
BTW - I first joined WebDip back in 2014, then dropped out. Now I’m back and I’m totally hooked on playing ai/bot and really like the improved interface. I want to get more involved in the community, but…
You really should be using your old account, not this one. There is still a strict "No Multi-Accounting" rule. Ask the mods for help to regain access to your old account.

If you like what webDip was like in 2014, you should check out vDiplomacy.
See my full Profile:

Marlinspike

#16 Post by Marlinspike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:45 pm

I just noticed the description of this sub forum is “ Site announcements from the moderator team go here.” That makes this issue a bug, not a feature! I’ll submit a report.

I couldn’t remember my old username before I created this account. I’ll disclose the relationship and promise not to use the old account.

Marlinspike

#17 Post by Marlinspike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:02 pm

Bug report submitted here: https://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5004

kestasjk
Developer
Developer

#18 Post by kestasjk » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:56 am

Marlinspike wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:05 pm
I guess it comes down to whether or not the purpose of the forum is to support WebDip gameplay and grow the community of Diplomacy players. I would argue that this forum is distracted/distracting from that purpose in a variety of ways.

Personally, I prefer this platform and think it’s a shame that there is so much distraction. The forum *could* be a valuable tool for the development and growth of the WebDip community, but there seems to be a lack of capacity to make it so.

Fixing this Announcement sub forum is trivial. How about fixing the Mentor program?

I see so much potential and opportunity here at WebDip, yet, here we are.

Welcome back. Thanks for pointing out the announcement thing, I've removed the start new post permission for users for this forum.

Definitely agree there's unrealized potential in the site. As I wrote you via e-mail in ~2012 I considered this site to be feature complete; after variants and translation support I thought the site had everything it needed so I dropped away and left it.

Since then there are Diplomacy playing AI is available, detecting and handling cheaters isn't as simple as people have got more savvy about VPNs etc, mobile compatibility is more important, authentication / account management can be tied to Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft/etc, the expectations for a decent web UI is different, and site communities are less centered around site web forums and more loose around Discord / Reddit.
So now there's a lot to do, but I have a lot less time than even 10 years ago..

But I am chipping away at it.. This year we got the mod forum in, suspicion / relationship declaring is mostly done, modernized cheater data collection/processing, getting the mod request backlog/list under control, sandbox games, live/continuous backups, cloudfare/CDN, and getting full-press AI running (if not yet fully stablized/optimized).
That's not too bad for 1-4 days of dev time every 4-6 weeks.

The analytics are also surprisingly good, better than I would've expected; there's a lot to do but we're headed in the right direction. (I think the playdiplomacy.com hack likely helped our numbers last month, though I do feel bad for Dippy and the team there.)

Depending on what happens at my day job next year I'm hoping to take some extended time off at some point so that I can get the site back to the feature-complete state I considered it in back in 2012.
Would be great to have it at a point I consider feature complete again, and have a team of mods that can easily manage the site without a major time commitment, by webDip's 20th birthday in December 2025.

After that I'd start a project to try and tie together the scattered Diplomacy community by making it easy to play games across sites.
In the process it'd provide an API so if someone wants to make a great phone/tablet/AR/desktop/web Diplomacy app they don't have to start a new community/backend, but can focus on the UI and launch with an active community.. But that's a long way away.

Regarding your specific thoughts on the forum; based on stats I looked at a while ago, and the trends I see on various sites, I do think built-in forums are a bit of a 2000s/2010s thing that is becoming increasingly old fashioned. I don't think any amount of effort put into the forum would really revitalize it; I think simplifying it, some nice new features etc might improve things a bit, but I think the future is Reddit/Discord.

For Diplomacy in particular the community is split across so many sites; I think the best approach is to focus on being the best site to play Diplomacy on, let the community exist on a platform neutral place like Reddit / Discord, and make it easy to link accounts here to accounts on social platforms / integrate in with them.
We'll never be as good at hosting a community as those sites, so let's focus on Diplomacy and leave that to them. (I think backstabbr took this approach, minus the linking/integration, and it worked well for them.)

Not saying the forum isn't important and a good place to discuss site-specific stuff.. But I don't think it's how you grow a community in 2023.

CaptainFritz28

#19 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:13 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:56 am
Regarding your specific thoughts on the forum; based on stats I looked at a while ago, and the trends I see on various sites, I do think built-in forums are a bit of a 2000s/2010s thing that is becoming increasingly old fashioned. I don't think any amount of effort put into the forum would really revitalize it; I think simplifying it, some nice new features etc might improve things a bit, but I think the future is Reddit/Discord.

For Diplomacy in particular the community is split across so many sites; I think the best approach is to focus on being the best site to play Diplomacy on, let the community exist on a platform neutral place like Reddit / Discord, and make it easy to link accounts here to accounts on social platforms / integrate in with them.
We'll never be as good at hosting a community as those sites, so let's focus on Diplomacy and leave that to them. (I think backstabbr took this approach, minus the linking/integration, and it worked well for them.)

Not saying the forum isn't important and a good place to discuss site-specific stuff.. But I don't think it's how you grow a community in 2023.
I'm an oddball on my generation, but as a high schooler I will note that I greatly prefer an on-site forum to discord or reddit. I don't think it needs much if any changing, but I do urge you not to remove any of it in favor of some "nuetral" social media platform.
Ferre ad Finem!

Esquire Bertissimmo

#20 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:48 pm

kestasjk wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:56 am

This all raises super interesting questions about what WebDip should be and who it is for.

I love the old-fashioned early 2000s feel of the forum. I find it extremely refreshing in 2023. It definitely isn't the sort of thing that grows a community all on its own. But it's something unique that keeps me on the site during periods where I'm less active in actual games.

WebDip could probably grow its player base by taking the backstabbr approach, but it seems like there's other risks to going down this path. Once we're all on Discord, why wouldn't we just play a Discord-enabled version of the game? Being too successful there might mean cannibalizing web-based games.

Also, I wonder how much market share WebDip could ever realistically take from Backstabbr and other established competitors, some of which are already years ahead in critical areas such as mobile development.

I want a bigger WebDip community because I think this is a fun website doing something unique and interesting. If WebDip were just a clone of other successful Diplomacy implementations, then at a certain point I would no longer be a WebDip booster - I'd have no reason to preference the site over other implementations. If I were very interested in faster games I'd just switch to the many existing Discord implementations. If I were interested in a better mobile experience, I'd just go to Backstabbr.

So the central question is: who is WebDip for? My gut feeling is that this site serves a different segment of players than other Diplomacy implementations. If I had to guess, the community skews towards players who are older, are nostalgic for how the internet was, and who prefer a smallish player base (the alternative being randomly matching with the hordes on backstabbr, never playing the same person twice, etc.). If WebDip exists to fill this niche, then it may forever be handicapped in its ability to grow. But if WebDip evolves and no longer fills this niche, is it even WebDip anymore?