20 Questions - Game 254

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Spartaculous

Re: 20 Questions - Game 254

#41 Post by Spartaculous » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:00 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:31 pm
Free guess: Faust
EXCELLENT WORK! I would also have accepted "Dr. Faustus." I passed on "created before 1500" because his origins are murky. First printed version is after 1500, but legend is said to go back to the 1400's or even older. I passed on "book" because, similarly, the format of the original telling is unknown.

I first came across Dr. Faustus in university English class, reading the Marlowe play. Faust, of course, is the source of the phrase "make deal with the devil" or "a Faustian bargain." The theme, if not the name, lives on among young people today as the plot line of The Little Mermaid.

Congratulations Wattsthematter!
Fun pick!

I have been meaning to read a version of the Faust story for some time now. I know that many versions exist (Marlowe, Goethe, etc.); does anyone have a recommended version?

Wattsthematter

#42 Post by Wattsthematter » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:01 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:31 pm
Free guess: Faust
EXCELLENT WORK! I would also have accepted "Dr. Faustus." I passed on "created before 1500" because his origins are murky. First printed version is after 1500, but legend is said to go back to the 1400's or even older. I passed on "book" because, similarly, the format of the original telling is unknown.

I first came across Dr. Faustus in university English class, reading the Marlowe play. Faust, of course, is the source of the phrase "make deal with the devil" or "a Faustian bargain." The theme, if not the name, lives on among young people today as the plot line of The Little Mermaid.

Congratulations Wattsthematter!
Upon reading the wiki, I understood your pass on the origin of the character, and it seemed like a very solid guess from there. New game up soon!

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#43 Post by cdngooner » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:44 pm

I have been meaning to read a version of the Faust story for some time now. I know that many versions exist (Marlowe, Goethe, etc.); does anyone have a recommended version?
I've only read the Marlowe. Not quite as good as Shakespeare, but in the same vein. Goethe was written in more modern language, but of course unless you can read German, it will be in translation. Just watch The Little Mermaid!

DrFidelis

#44 Post by DrFidelis » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:58 pm

So THAT'S where Faust comes from, I've seen characters be named Faust, people naming birds after Faust, I'll definitely have to read Dr. Faustus one of these days.
"I cannot think, I cannot fight. With patience, I will find my way."

(hmu if you ever need to find a willing person to be the next 20 questions QM)