20 Questions - 6 Score and Akker - Multiball Madness

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.

JECE

Re: 20 Questions - 6 Score and Akker - Multiball Madness

#282 Post by JECE » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:18 pm

Ah, interesting, so the war he fought in was the Texas Revolution, not the Civil War.

I'll set up the next game soon.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

DougJoe

#283 Post by DougJoe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:29 pm

Agreed, a good one. I just didn't google hard enough. The handful of pages of eponyms that I looked at (including a *huge* list on wikipedia) didn't have Maverick. Since then I've found pages that do.

Was the clue about Hanging Rook's avatar also supposed to be a reference to the character H_NGM_N in the movie?

Octavious

#284 Post by Octavious » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm

Nah, that was just mentioned as a hanging has become closely associated with lynching, and I thought it might get you thinking along the right lines.

Another of the Lynch clues was in post 214 when I said
Right, I have to disappear and read the latest dross from the leader of the RMT union, so won't be about for a while. There will be no further clues past this point
The leader of the RMT union, as most Brits will know as he's almost constantly in the news over here, is Mick Lynch. A bit more obscure for none Brits, but someone engaging in a bit of curiosity would have found themselves face to face with the word Lynch. Much like someone who searched for the etymology of gobbledygook (which I thought might have been unusual enough to attract some attention) would find themselves face to face with the word Maverick.

I was almost totally convinced, when JECE used gobbledygook in his post to me, that he was signalling that he had done exactly that
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

JECE

#285 Post by JECE » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:11 pm

That's pretty funny. I did look up the RMT, but stopped short of looking up who its leader is. Had I run across that surname it would have been easier to come up with Lynch. And I did look up how to spell 'gobbledygook', but the entry in Merriam-Webster makes no reference to the Mavericks, even in the etymology ("irregular from gobble, noun").
See my full Profile:

DougJoe

#286 Post by DougJoe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Nah, that was just mentioned as a hanging has become closely associated with lynching, and I thought it might get you thinking along the right lines.

Another of the Lynch clues was in post 214 when I said
Right, I have to disappear and read the latest dross from the leader of the RMT union, so won't be about for a while. There will be no further clues past this point
The leader of the RMT union, as most Brits will know as he's almost constantly in the news over here, is Mick Lynch. A bit more obscure for none Brits, but someone engaging in a bit of curiosity would have found themselves face to face with the word Lynch. Much like someone who searched for the etymology of gobbledygook (which I thought might have been unusual enough to attract some attention) would find themselves face to face with the word Maverick.

I was almost totally convinced, when JECE used gobbledygook in his post to me, that he was signalling that he had done exactly that
I remember reading that post, took it as a true "real-life" thing and not a clue - I did wonder what the RMT was at the time (not a Brit) but didn't pursue it. I don't remember reading about gobbledygook in any of the posts - I wasn't as involved in this game as others in the past, that's what I get.

I do like the "eponym" link between the four, I think that was cool.

Jamiet99uk

#287 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 am

@Octavious:

Can you please explain why you answered as follows:
Octavious wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:34 pm
han-shahanshah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:19 pm
Known for involvement in philosophy or religion?
A) No
B) No
C) Ha! No, not really
D) No

I dare say that there were religious views, but they're not known for their contribution to religion
What was it about Edward Murphy, who coined "Murphy's Law", that prompted you to say "Ha!" when asked if he was known for involvement in philosophy or religion?
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

JECE

#288 Post by JECE » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:36 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 am
@Octavious:

Can you please explain why you answered as follows:
Octavious wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:34 pm
han-shahanshah wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:19 pm
Known for involvement in philosophy or religion?
A) No
B) No
C) Ha! No, not really
D) No

I dare say that there were religious views, but they're not known for their contribution to religion
What was it about Edward Murphy, who coined "Murphy's Law", that prompted you to say "Ha!" when asked if he was known for involvement in philosophy or religion?
I assume it's because lay people might view it as a philosophical concept.
See my full Profile:

Octavious

#289 Post by Octavious » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:46 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Give it a rest, mate. You didn't like the style or format. We get it. It is the Star Trek musical episode debate played out in 20 questions form. It's been, it's gone, the game's moved on, and JECE (as ever) has it pretty much right.
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

damo666

#290 Post by damo666 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:11 am

Octavious wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:46 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Give it a rest, mate. You didn't like the style or format. We get it. It is the Star Trek musical episode debate played out in 20 questions form. It's been, it's gone, the game's moved on, and JECE (as ever) has it pretty much right.
I liked it. (The musical episode of strange worlds).