Twenty Questions Game the Ninety-Sixth

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Kakarroto

Re: Twenty Questions Game the Ninety-Sixth

#101 Post by Kakarroto » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:23 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:14 pm

What are you even talking about?

What do you want us to do?

Ban JECE from playing?

Fine him $200?

Throw him in jail?

Throw his cats in cat jail?

Get a grip. It's a fun little game. Have some sense of perspective.
I'm sorry I took a bit to reply to this. I wanted to have a bit of time to sort my thoughts.

What exactly I want us to do here? I'm not sure, but at least something to show that it wasn't right to do so and some symbolic action (maybe a clap on the wrist) to definitely show it's not just talk.

These are probably just overblown options, but no, I don't want him banned. I don't want to make him pay money. Jail (especially RL) is much to harsh so definitely no. His cats are innocent here and I'm against throwing innocent people into jail (though if JECE could prove it was his cats that typed those post(s) I'm open to talk about that).

Yes, it was a fun little game, but JECE ruined a part of it, at least for me. Maybe I'm in the minority here, maybe I'm the only one that sees it this way, but I see those actions as something that can cause major trouble in the future if we don't deal with it correctly.

I'm a bit sour with your comment 'have some sense of perspective'. It might be used in an ironic and/or sarcastic way, but it feels you yourself doesn't even try to see mine and just felt annoyed I said something.

JECE

#102 Post by JECE » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:03 pm

My goodness, mate. I always have a natural inclination to see the best in people, but this is pushing it.

At this point you are moving the goalposts given that you now accept that I did not simply do a pure guessing streak. So I can't help you come to see my point of view anymore since I can only expect you to find some other excuse to stay outraged.

As to future games, take a look at my Ten Commandments in Game XCVII. I took a different approach to resolving concerns that have come up in the past. But seriously, if in a given game there are only three options left and we still have 10+ questions left to ask, then such a game is about to end, no matter what we do with the rules. Just make your guesses next time rather than stay up late and try to jump in and steal the win from beneath an unwitting teammate.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

han-shahanshah

#103 Post by han-shahanshah » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:30 am

I'm sorry, @Kakarroto, I didn't check this thread after I awarded JECE the victory. I suppose I sacrificed part of the integrity of the game for the sake of hastening its end, but I hadn't instituted a rule against it.

You're not wrong in your opinion, and I agree that unremedied issues are bound to degenerate the game. However, I also believe that the clarification of rules is a sufficient improvement to prevent this. After all, the players here are certainly law-abiding persons with some sense of ethics (may be stretching this a little bit for a Diplomacy forum but surely nobody has committed serious crime).

For the purposes of Twenty Questions, which is still in essence a fun game to play and not the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, it is natural to have some latitude in interpretation of expectations. Where some interpretations fall short and cause discord, we fix those expectations to satisfy the consensus. This is how the legal system is codified.

As dargorygel said:
dargorygel wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:36 pm
Any rule changes do not effect past games. Any cat jail does not effect future dinners.
Of course, I as the GM for this game may apply appropriate punishment to JECE as per your liking. Nothing too harsh, it's not like he murdered you.

@JECE I hereby present you with an Official Slap On The Wrist. You have been rebuked. :shock:

Kakarroto

#104 Post by Kakarroto » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:13 pm

I'm not sure if you all noticed, but I took a bit time off to rethink and to get a bit of distance to clear my mind.

Looking back, I still think it isn't handled perfectly, but I also can understand that I didn't react perfectly too. Which is fine, since people aren't perfect. If it works for you, that's fine. I still believe there is a chance this all comes back and bites someone in their behind, but I hope you can manage.

Now why do I speak in this 'you' language? Because I personally wont have much time beginning with the 20th and currently I don't have much drive to play this game so I probably wont for a longer time. Have fun and take care. Hope there is more 'see you' than 'good riddance'.

Anyway, there is one thing I can't ignore on top of that, so let me reply:
JECE wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:03 pm
My goodness, mate. I always have a natural inclination to see the best in people, but this is pushing it.
I personally doubt this trait of your character, from the posts I've seen from you I've got another impression, but I'll come back to this later since you contradict yourself later in your own post.
At this point you are moving the goalposts given that you now accept that I did not simply do a pure guessing streak. So I can't help you come to see my point of view anymore since I can only expect you to find some other excuse to stay outraged.
I never moved any posts or goals. I don't accept it was not a pure guessing streak, you are either twisting my words or misunderstanding me. I said that finding those options for the guesses had the same thought/research process behind like I did. That doesn't take anything away from my argument.

The whole point is that there were (rationally) only 3 correct options left and you took it all by pure guessing. Not letting anything open for others, not trying to be witty and using the game by sorting, just pure, guessing, wanting to win despite the game or others.

I'm not sure if you unintentionally twist that or with a sinister mind, but with all those actions on top of it my personal opinion about you doesn't get any better.
As to future games, take a look at my Ten Commandments in Game XCVII. I took a different approach to resolving concerns that have come up in the past. But seriously, if in a given game there are only three options left and we still have 10+ questions left to ask, then such a game is about to end, no matter what we do with the rules.
I didn't say the game wasn't about to end, it was about fairness and respect for the game and that you lacked both of them. That you still don't understand that part (or at least keep ignoring it) is mind boggling. You throw out all those things but you don't respond to the argument.
Just make your guesses next time rather than stay up late and try to jump in and steal the win from beneath an unwitting teammate.
I always have a natural inclination to see the best in people
Yes, definitely. You totally try to see the best in people. I can totally see that.

I didn't stay up to steal anything. Sure, I wanted to win a round and did my best to get an advantage in time, sorting the novels and characters as fast as I could and thinking of what to ask and whom of the three to guess, but stealing is just wrong here, especially with your self description. Anyone seeing the best in people would've acknowledged or at least considered that I tried to find a solution, but not to 'steal'. If you really believe your description, I suggest that you have a look at yourself again and re-evalue. You either are lying to others or yourself.

Anyway, from my post after your guess streak you can see I tried to solve this, my instincts here to ask questions and guess only with a clause. Accusing of 'stealing' here is just absolutely wrong.

Personally, I think you know all that and just try to deflect from yourself, but I can be wrong here. If so, try to reflect and stop lying to yourself.

Now then, I'll go to a game of mafia where at least the people are honest and can be trusted.