Twenty Questions - Game 89

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Foxcastle

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 89

#21 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:09 pm

Has she appeared in a movie on or after January 1, 2015?

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#22 Post by Chaqa » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:29 pm

Come on Balki, we've not been enforcing it that strongly.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#23 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:55 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:09 pm
Has she appeared in a movie on or after January 1, 2015?
Yes

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#24 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:23 pm

1. Real human
2. Living
3. Female
4. Not born before Jan 1, 1980
5. Born in country where English (including all variations) is the most commonly spoken language
6. Primarily known for being an actor, musician, or singer
7. Is specifically an actor/actress
8. Appeared in a movie on or after January 1, 2015

Jamiet99uk

#25 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:29 pm

Does she have blonde hair?

(Where by "blonde" I mean having a natural hair colour characterized by low levels of the dark pigment eumelanin. The resultant visible hue depends on various factors, but always has some yellowish colour. The colour can be from the very pale blond (caused by a patchy, scarce distribution of pigment) to reddish "strawberry" blond or golden-brownish ("sandy") blond colours (the latter with more eumelanin). Suffice it it say that if 100 people were shown a reasonably representative colour photo of this actress, and were asked what colour her hair was, is it likely they would say "blonde"?)
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#26 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:46 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:29 pm

(Where by "blonde" I mean having a natural hair colour characterized by low levels of the dark pigment eumelanin. The resultant visible hue depends on various factors, but always has some yellowish colour. The colour can be from the very pale blond (caused by a patchy, scarce distribution of pigment) to reddish "strawberry" blond or golden-brownish ("sandy") blond colours (the latter with more eumelanin). Suffice it it say that if 100 people were shown a reasonably representative colour photo of this actress, and were asked what colour her hair was, is it likely they would say "blonde"?)
I think you're asking about natural hair color at birth, as these things are not always static. Just confirming. You want to know if this person has naturally blonde hair?

Foxcastle

#27 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:02 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:46 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I think you're asking about natural hair color at birth, as these things are not always static. Just confirming. You want to know if this person has naturally blonde hair?
I don't see any indication that Jamie is asking about hair color at birth. That appears nowhere in his question, and "natural hair color" is a perfectly reasonable way of asking about a person's undyed/unaltered adult hair color.

I would ask if we're all having fun yet, but I don't want to cost us a question.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#28 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:19 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:02 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:46 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I don't see any indication that Jamie is asking about hair color at birth. That appears nowhere in his question, and "natural hair color" is a perfectly reasonable way of asking about a person's undyed/unaltered adult hair color.

I would ask if we're all having fun yet, but I don't want to cost us a question.
Well maybe he is asking about "undyed/unaltered adult hair color." I dunno. He also asks about the response of "100 people were shown a reasonably representative colour photo." I don't really know what he is asking. That is why I asked for clarification.

Are you suggesting that I shouldn't ask for clarification? I'm not trying to be difficult. Ask clear, objective questions. No need for saying the same joke over and over again with the silly definitions.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#29 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:28 pm

Maybe a way to make this easier would be ask it like one of these ways:

- In her main iMDb picture, does she have blonde hair?
- In her main wikipedia picture does she have blone hair?
- Does she have blonde hair in both her main wikipedia picture and her main iMDb picture?
- In whatever film or TV show she appeared in which had the most reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, did she have blonde hair?

Maybe none of this matters at all except that we can all strive to be better students of question craftsmanship.

Foxcastle

#30 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:35 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:28 pm
Maybe none of this matters at all except that we can all strive to be better students of question craftsmanship.
The quest for better question craftsmanship is definitely there have been nearly 90 rounds of a guessing game. Yes, that's it.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#31 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:48 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:35 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
The quest for better question craftsmanship is definitely there have been nearly 90 rounds of a guessing game. Yes, that's it.
I can't think of a single actress who always has the same color hair. Ya know...these things change. So just need a bit of clarity on what Jamiet is asking about.

Foxcastle

#32 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:

- Does she have blonde hair in both her main wikipedia picture and her main iMDb picture?
- In whatever film or TV show she appeared in which had the most reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, did she have blonde hair?
Perhaps my own frustration here is that you are creating work for people who just want to enjoy a casual, low stakes game. You are supposed to be running a game, and you're not.

Above is a good example, because it denies people the pleasure of knowing the next piece of information without significantly increasing the value of that knowledge (the way some clarifications can). I think most of us would agree that Jamie's question is satisfactory.

Instead of returning to questions to players, and thereby slowing the game and creating more work for people who want participate in something casual and easy, can I recommend that you, as the person running this game, should be making decisions that help people enjoy the game?

To use Jamie's question, for example, "Does she have blonde hair?"

1) You could start by making a decision that "have" is a present tense verb
2) Following that, you could decide that pictures of your person taken in the past one month will satisfy the present tense nature of the question for the purposes of this game
3) You could then go to Google image search and type in the name of your person, and then sort images by time, preferring more recent photos
4) You could then make your own decision about whether this person "has" blonde hair

You are the executor of this game, and maybe we are shitty players, but your job is not to perfect the game, it's to let us try to figure out who you're thinking of before we run out of questions.

Foxcastle

#33 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:03 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:48 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:35 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:
I can't think of a single actress who always has the same color hair. Ya know...these things change. So just need a bit of clarity on what Jamiet is asking about.
Well, Jamie's question isn't about what her hair color has been, it's about what it is, and as I described in my other post, you could find a recent photo to make that determination. You could even acknowledge the difficulty of determining a person's current hair color by qualifying your response with something like "in recent photos I found..."

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#34 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:04 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:59 pm
Balki Bartokomous wrote:

Perhaps my own frustration here is that you are creating work for people who just want to enjoy a casual, low stakes game. You are supposed to be running a game, and you're not.

Above is a good example, because it denies people the pleasure of knowing the next piece of information without significantly increasing the value of that knowledge (the way some clarifications can). I think most of us would agree that Jamie's question is satisfactory.

Instead of returning to questions to players, and thereby slowing the game and creating more work for people who want participate in something casual and easy, can I recommend that you, as the person running this game, should be making decisions that help people enjoy the game?

To use Jamie's question, for example, "Does she have blonde hair?"

1) You could start by making a decision that "have" is a present tense verb
2) Following that, you could decide that pictures of your person taken in the past one month will satisfy the present tense nature of the question for the purposes of this game
3) You could then go to Google image search and type in the name of your person, and then sort images by time, preferring more recent photos
4) You could then make your own decision about whether this person "has" blonde hair

You are the executor of this game, and maybe we are shitty players, but your job is not to perfect the game, it's to let us try to figure out who you're thinking of before we run out of questions.
So, I guess I could put my own gloss on ambiguous questions like that. But then nobody knows what I mean by my answer. If I think something is unclear, I ask.

Anyway, I can take the strong hint that y'all don't like the way I play this game. So start Game 90. Seems like this isn't my game.

It was the Hamburgler. Foxcastle wins.

Foxcastle

#35 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Yeah, I have only playing like the last 10-15 games and it's very obvious every time that there's ambiguity and that there are questions where we have to contend whether the answer we got was "technically" true or not.

I encourage you to stick with us, and just embrace the ambiguity. You won't go to lawyer hell for it, I promise.

Jamiet99uk

#36 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 pm

Balki I do think you're applying an unnecessarily rigorous approach to this game. Not trying to drive you away but Fox has a fair point.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#37 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:14 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 pm
Balki I do think you're applying an unnecessarily rigorous approach to this game. Not trying to drive you away but Fox has a fair point.
It's all good. Didn't mean to be rigorous at all. Y'all start Game 90.

Jamiet99uk

#38 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:10 am

If you're not going to continue, who was it, actually?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#39 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:16 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:10 am
If you're not going to continue, who was it, actually?
Sad face.

It appears that y'all's consequence for holding a protest over the administration of a twenty questions game is that you'll have to wonder forever.

#thisfeelsright

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#40 Post by Chaqa » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:28 am

is only game

y u have to be med