Twenty Questions - Game 76

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
damo666

Re: Twenty Questions - Game 76

#41 Post by damo666 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:04 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:39 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:36 pm
8. You wouldn't buy a ticket to watch this person.
I'm being pedantic here, but I am going to assume from Damo's answer to question 8 that this person is not, and has never been, Prime Minister of the UK, or the leader of any of the other main political parties.

This is because, while members of the public are free to attend most House of Commons debates, and can just turn up on the day without booking, to attend Prime Minister's Questions I believe you need to book a ticket.

@Damo: Can you confirm this is correct?

(Note this is a clarification, not an additional question - if Damo is unwilling to respond as a clarification, then I'll withdraw the query. I don't want to use up an official question).
I am happy to have Damo clarify per your conditions, but to counter your pedantry, the specific question was "Would it be normal to buy a ticket (for example, to a movie, to a game, to a performance, etc etc) to watch this person do what they are known for?" It was designed to avoid the technicality of "would you ever buy a ticket to see this person."

1. Most people watching a PM do what they are known for are doing it through the news, live events, etc. Buying a ticket to Prime Minister's Questions is therefor not the "normal" way people see a PM in action, as opposed to people buying a ticket to see an actor in a movie.

2. Prime Minister's Questions are not what the PM is known for. They are known for being PM, to which Prime Minister's Questions is incidental.
The person may have had events where one could purchase a ticket but not what you would not normally associate it (like an actor/singer) for example.

damo666

#42 Post by damo666 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:00 pm

Is not or never has been PM. Freebie.

Foxcastle

#43 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:29 pm

I can make a guess and it does not count against the 20 questions, correct?

Jamiet99uk

#44 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:44 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:29 pm
I can make a guess and it does not count against the 20 questions, correct?
Every player gets one, yes.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Jamiet99uk

#45 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:46 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:36 pm
8. You wouldn't buy a ticket to watch this person.
I'm being pedantic here, but I am going to assume from Damo's answer to question 8 that this person is not, and has never been, Prime Minister of the UK, or the leader of any of the other main political parties.

This is because, while members of the public are free to attend most House of Commons debates, and can just turn up on the day without booking, to attend Prime Minister's Questions I believe you need to book a ticket.

(Note this is a clarification, not an additional question - if Damo is unwilling to respond as a clarification, then I'll withdraw the query. I don't want to use up an official question).
I am happy to have Damo clarify per your conditions, but to counter your pedantry, the specific question was "Would it be normal to buy a ticket (for example, to a movie, to a game, to a performance, etc etc) to watch this person do what they are known for?" It was designed to avoid the technicality of "would you ever buy a ticket to see this person."

1. Most people watching a PM do what they are known for are doing it through the news, live events, etc. Buying a ticket to Prime Minister's Questions is therefor not the "normal" way people see a PM in action, as opposed to people buying a ticket to see an actor in a movie.

2. Prime Minister's Questions are not what the PM is known for. They are known for being PM, to which Prime Minister's Questions is incidental.
By your logic, this would also be the case for a professional football (or American Football) player since although thousands of people buy tickets to see them, more people watch those sports on television.

The problem with that logic is that this renders the original ticket question pretty pointless.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

Foxcastle

#46 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:49 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:46 pm
Foxcastle wrote:
Jamiet99uk wrote:

By your logic, this would also be the case for a professional football (or American Football) player since although thousands of people buy tickets to see them, more people watch those sports on television.

The problem with that logic is that this renders the original ticket question pretty pointless.
Oh, Jamie, how I've missed you!

First of all, it's not "thousands" of people who buy tickets to attend professional sports games, it's well over a hundred million (including more than 13 million for your very own Premier League) every year.

"Thousands" of people might attend Prime Minister's Questions over the course of the year, but as they happen once a week and the gallery has limited space, it is only ever going to be in the low "thousands." (And based on my experience in the US, the galleries to watch legislative proceedings are never full...)

If you asked people to name two ways to watch a professional sports game, the top two answers would be television and by attending in person (it is common knowledge that one buys tickets to these events).

If you asked people to name two ways to watch Prime Minister's Questions, they may very well guess that you can attend in person, but it is almost certainly not common knowledge that you need to obtain a ticket.

Anyway, your entire line of questioning is factually nonsensical, as tickets to Prime Minister's Questions are not for sale—one might reserve, obtain, or book them, but one certainly does not "buy" them—and my question specifically referenced buying tickets.

Merry Christmas!

Foxcastle

#47 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:54 pm

Damo: I'm going to shoot my free shot on Jeremy Corbyn.

damo666

#48 Post by damo666 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:35 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:54 pm
Damo: I'm going to shoot my free shot on Jeremy Corbyn.
No

Octavious

#49 Post by Octavious » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:55 pm

If I were to search for a photo of them with a gun on Google, would (assuming that I'm reasonably adept at using search engines) be able to find a photo of them holding a firearm?
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

Jamiet99uk

#50 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:18 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:49 pm
Oh, Jamie, how I've missed you!

First of all, it's not "thousands" of people who buy tickets to attend professional sports games, it's well over a hundred million (including more than 13 million for your very own Premier League) every year.

"Thousands" of people might attend Prime Minister's Questions over the course of the year, but as they happen once a week and the gallery has limited space, it is only ever going to be in the low "thousands." (And based on my experience in the US, the galleries to watch legislative proceedings are never full...)

If you asked people to name two ways to watch a professional sports game, the top two answers would be television and by attending in person (it is common knowledge that one buys tickets to these events).

If you asked people to name two ways to watch Prime Minister's Questions, they may very well guess that you can attend in person, but it is almost certainly not common knowledge that you need to obtain a ticket.

Anyway, your entire line of questioning is factually nonsensical, as tickets to Prime Minister's Questions are not for sale—one might reserve, obtain, or book them, but one certainly does not "buy" them—and my question specifically referenced buying tickets.

Merry Christmas!
Oh Foxcastle, how sorry I am to learn that you are still here.

Your assertive, stupid, unhelpful, pig-headed attitude might seem funny to you, but it isn't, so blow it up your ass. You aren't funny; you aren't witty; you aren't clever.

You spoil this game, sometimes on purpose, to the annoyance of most other participants. Do you enjoy that? If you do, you should reconsider your toxic attitude.

Go and find something to do; stop bothering us.

Jamiet99uk

#51 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:27 pm

I mean it's literally Xmas Day and here's Foxcastle trying to troll people to spoil the game for them, for his own kicks.

What a fucking toxic asshole.

Foxcastle

#52 Post by Foxcastle » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:25 pm

Jamie, c'mon. I've made a couple innocuous joke posts, asked some questions in furtherance of the game, and explained why you were overthinking one of my questions in the same tone in which you questioned it. You're the one descending into a rage of namecalling and abuse directed at me, and I don't deserve it.

damo666

#53 Post by damo666 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:46 am

Octavious wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:55 pm
If I were to search for a photo of them with a gun on Google, would (assuming that I'm reasonably adept at using search engines) be able to find a photo of them holding a firearm?
I couldn't

supi13

#54 Post by supi13 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:46 am

Has he ever been a member of UK Parliament?

Kakarroto

#55 Post by Kakarroto » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:05 am

JECE wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:46 pm
Kakarroto wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:54 am
JECE wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:47 am
[...] so far into the 77th match of this rigged game[...]
Even when this game is this close to overtake the number it has been played here compared to the number of mafia games (disregarding the mini's), it's still only the 76th game. :razz:
As they say in Foxcastle, au contraire! Look a little more closely at the list of completed games. This is the 77th game.
if you refer to the two games numbered with 68, there is no game 69 so it doesn't increase the total number.

damo666

#56 Post by damo666 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:14 am

supi13 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:46 am
Has he ever been a member of UK Parliament?
Yes

Jamiet99uk

#57 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Foxcastle wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:25 pm
Jamie, c'mon. I've made a couple innocuous joke posts, asked some questions in furtherance of the game, and explained why you were overthinking one of my questions in the same tone in which you questioned it. You're the one descending into a rage of namecalling and abuse directed at me, and I don't deserve it.
Ok fine, put it down to a major clash of styles, I guess, sorry.

Merry Christmas.

Jamiet99uk

#58 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:57 pm

1. IS Real
2. Not particularly connected to Christmas
3. Not a dead male
4. IS European
5. Not dead
6. Not a woman
7. DOES speak a germanic language (like english, norwegian, swedish, klingon, danish, dutch, german)
8. You wouldn't generally buy a ticket to watch this person (but they may occasionally have been associated with ticketed events).
9. IS British
10. IS known for being in politics, public service or the armed forces
11. Not embarrassing
12. Not royal
13. Previously held a more prominent position than he does today.
14. Never seen with a gun
15. Has been a member of the UK Parliament

Free Clue: Never UK Prime Minister.

Not: Jeremy Corbyn

Jamiet99uk

#59 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:57 pm

Is he, or has he been, a member of the Conservative Party?

damo666

#60 Post by damo666 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:30 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:57 pm
Is he, or has he been, a member of the Conservative Party?
No