XX Questions, Game LXXI

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Message
Author
JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#161 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:38 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:42 pm
JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:30 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:19 am
who would the far right want to have a movie made about
Think major victories (or catastrophic defeats depending on your perspective).
@JECE - I think this is simply far too obscure. We don't know it.
You should have listened to the number of the beast. :evil: Then you would had even more questions to waste! :wink:
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#162 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:40 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:38 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:42 pm
JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:30 pm


Think major victories (or catastrophic defeats depending on your perspective).
@JECE - I think this is simply far too obscure. We don't know it.
You should have listened to the number of the beast. :evil: Then you would had even more questions to waste! :wink:
would have had
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

damo666
Posts: 12918
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am
Location: London
Karma: 4353

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#163 Post by damo666 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:58 pm

FFS

No ody knows

Use the guesses

JECE u r either vg or an idiot

Time will tell

VillageIdiot
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:55 am
Karma: 631

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#164 Post by VillageIdiot » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 pm

Closest fit I can find is Admiral Blas de Lezo, although I didn't see any reference to a debatable cause of death so probably not right.

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#165 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:35 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 pm
JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:30 pm


Think major victories (or catastrophic defeats depending on your perspective).
in what war lol

the guy we guessed was apparently the main Portuguese general in the Restoration War (the war the portuguese far right would love), and the Spanish have exceptionally big battles they win in this time. did some wikipedia searching and didn't find anyone, but not finished
Should I just name the battle? :lol:

Try expanding your timeline.
i looked at every war spain fought that wasn't some small-scale war against native americas or whatever that was on wikipedia, and i could not find someone who meet the conditions. got some near misses, but no dice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Camocke this guy hits everything except native romance language speaker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Will ... n_Ripperda wasn't a commander

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas_de_Lezo has an uncontroversial cause of death

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#166 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:36 pm

i don't understand what person this could be

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#167 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:36 pm

are they on wikipedia?

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#168 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:39 pm

like i looked though like 100 years worth of wars and generals and i don't see anyone

Kakarroto
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:01 pm
Location: Vienna (hold)
Karma: 531

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#169 Post by Kakarroto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:07 pm

Normally, 666 is seen as the number of the beast (well it's not, it's actually the mirror image to not invoke any evil influences by refering to 666 just in case) so I've searched for battles in 1666; I was only shown battles from the second english-dutch war.

I've found for (probably) french (or romanic language) speakers:
-) Job Forant (1606/1612/1630 - 1692) (and yes, this are three birth dates for him, seemingly there are three different sources for his birth from the french wikipedia side; I didn't found information about him on the french or english one)
-) Michiel de Ruyter (1607 - 1676) (though I'm not sure he was a native french speaker)
-) Cornelis Tromp (1629 - 1691) (though he learned french later in his life)
-) Abraham van der Hulst (1619 - 1666) (pretty sure his native language was dutch)
-) Jacob van Wassenaer Obdam (1610 - 1665) (see above for language)
-) Cornelis Evertson (1610 - 1666) (see above)
-) Pieter de Bitter (1620 - 1666) (see above)
-) Cornelis de Witt (1623 - 1672) (see above)
-) Johan Evertsen (1600 - 1666) (see above)
-) Willem Joseph van Ghent (1626 - 1672) (might've been native french speaker)
-) François de Vendôme, duc de Beaufort (1616 - 1669)
-) Gilles de La Roche-Saint-André (1621 - 1668) (who surrendered against the british due to a mistake but was honourably returned immediately by King Charles II, the Duke of York offered him a sword before his repartiation)

All of these don't fit the criteria with their time of life.

I tried to change my search and got through the whole year of 1666 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1666 ), there was some thing about the portuguese restoration war, which included:
-) Diego Ibarra (??? - ???) (a basque officer fighting for Spain in the battle of the berlengas)
-) António Pessoa (??? - ???) (a portuguese soldier in charge of the fort São João Baptista, fighting against Diego Ibarra)
-) Frederick Schomberg, 1st Duke of Schomberg (1615 - 1690) (marshal of France, fighting on the side of Portugal) (born in the Palatinate/Heidelberg so most likely not a roman language native speaker)
-) Peter II of Portugal (1648 - 1706) (though he was kinda part of royality so probably not)

Other than that, I really don't know what the hint would point at; especially, since under the rubric 'Date unknown', the entry of Isaac Newton splitting sunlight with a prism has more accurate and supplemental information than the portuguese restoration war entry.

Kakarroto
Posts: 1518
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:01 pm
Location: Vienna (hold)
Karma: 531

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#170 Post by Kakarroto » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:12 pm

Short correction for last post:

About Job Forant: I haven't found an entry about him on the english or german wikipedia, only on the french one

Also both Job Forant and Cornelis Tromp would fulfil the criteria for time of life/death (though Cornelis Tromp would probably still not fulfil the criteria for language).

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#171 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 pm

VillageIdiot wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 pm
Closest fit I can find is Admiral Blas de Lezo, although I didn't see any reference to a debatable cause of death so probably not right.
Is that an official guess?

The cause of death isn't debatable or controversial, mind you. There is just confusion about it.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#172 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:45 pm

Kakarroto! Poor guy! Sorry that you did all that research. I was referring to damo666 and his love affair with real dead males, not battles in 1666.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#173 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 pm
VillageIdiot wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 pm
Closest fit I can find is Admiral Blas de Lezo, although I didn't see any reference to a debatable cause of death so probably not right.
Is that an official guess?

The cause of death isn't debatable or controversial, mind you. There is just confusion about it.
like there's a debunked idea about how he died still circulating? what does this mean

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#174 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:04 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:03 pm
JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:39 pm
VillageIdiot wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 pm
Closest fit I can find is Admiral Blas de Lezo, although I didn't see any reference to a debatable cause of death so probably not right.
Is that an official guess?

The cause of death isn't debatable or controversial, mind you. There is just confusion about it.
like there's a debunked idea about how he died still circulating? what does this mean
Yep
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#175 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 pm

found a movie being made about blaz de lezo, and an english-language article talking about how some things in it might be percieved as right-wing

@jece - is Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta correct?

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#176 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:32 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 pm
found a movie being made about blaz de lezo, and an english-language article talking about how some things in it might be percieved as right-wing

@jece - is Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta correct?
Yes! Not sure if you or VillageIdiot should take the prize.

Sheesh, that took way too many guesses for you all to get.

Blas de Lezo died not long after the Battle of Cartagena de Indias, in which he repelled one of the largest amphibious invasions in history with a small force. Many sources say, apparently incorrectly, that he died of wounds. More (self-described) authoritative sources say that an illness killed him.

I'm curious which cause of death you and VillageIdiot came by.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#177 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:33 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:32 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 pm
found a movie being made about blaz de lezo, and an english-language article talking about how some things in it might be percieved as right-wing

@jece - is Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta correct?
Yes! Not sure if you or VillageIdiot should take the prize.

Sheesh, that took way too many guesses for you all to get.

Blas de Lezo died not long after the Battle of Cartagena de Indias, in which he repelled one of the largest amphibious invasions in history with a small force. Many sources say, apparently incorrectly, that he died of wounds. More (self-described) authoritative sources say that an illness killed him.

I'm curious which cause of death you and VillageIdiot came by.
"many guesses for" --> 'many clues for'
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Bonatogether
Posts: 6244
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 pm
Location: Maryland
Karma: 3605
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#178 Post by Bonatogether » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 pm

JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:32 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 pm
found a movie being made about blaz de lezo, and an english-language article talking about how some things in it might be percieved as right-wing

@jece - is Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta correct?
Yes! Not sure if you or VillageIdiot should take the prize.

Sheesh, that took way too many guesses for you all to get.

Blas de Lezo died not long after the Battle of Cartagena de Indias, in which he repelled one of the largest amphibious invasions in history with a small force. Many sources say, apparently incorrectly, that he died of wounds. More (self-described) authoritative sources say that an illness killed him.

I'm curious which cause of death you and VillageIdiot came by.
wikipedia says one primary source has it as typhus, nothing else listed

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#179 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:53 pm

Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 pm
JECE wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:32 pm
Bonatogether wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:07 pm
found a movie being made about blaz de lezo, and an english-language article talking about how some things in it might be percieved as right-wing

@jece - is Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta correct?
Yes! Not sure if you or VillageIdiot should take the prize.

Sheesh, that took way too many clues for you all to get.

Blas de Lezo died not long after the Battle of Cartagena de Indias, in which he repelled one of the largest amphibious invasions in history with a small force. Many sources say, apparently incorrectly, that he died of wounds. More (self-described) authoritative sources say that an illness killed him.

I'm curious which cause of death you and VillageIdiot came by.
wikipedia says one primary source has it as typhus, nothing else listed
The current version of the English Wikipedia article seems to have it right, while the Spanish Wikipedia says that he died of wounds. Although it may not have actually been typhus, since primary sources of the time used a term that referred to several different illnesses (or at least we know them to be different illnesses today): https://abcblogs.abc.es/espejo-de-naveg ... -lezo.html
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

JECE
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 196
Contact:

Re: XX Questions, Game LXXI

#180 Post by JECE » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:58 pm

Primary sources, of course, wouldn't be the secondary sources that I referred to:
JECE wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:53 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 am
Did he die of natural causes?
Yes, although secondary sources often disagree
JECE wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:05 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:31 pm
JECE wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 am
You guys should be careful on how you interpret my answer to the 'natural causes' question. It's not a matter of sources being unclear about what type of natural causes befell the hero of our story. Some sources flat out say that this individual died of something other than natural causes.
Just to be clear:

You're saying that different sources disagree about the cause of his death, yes?
Some secondary sources say that other secondary sources are wrong about the cause of his death.
See my full Profile:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?userID=17421

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BunnyGo, Jamiet99uk and 2 guests