THE RESISTANCE (not Mafia) Sign-Ups [6p+1]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
MSmart

THE RESISTANCE (not Mafia) Sign-Ups [6p+1]

#1 Post by MSmart » Mon May 30, 2022 4:36 am

GM: MSmart
Round Length: Freeform, but ideally no more than one week per round as it is decided by the team leader (see below)
Anticipated Start Date: Pretty much the moment everyone signs up.

The Resistance is another hidden-role, social deduction game, but without player elimination. Despite the lack of murder, discussions would still get so heated that it was banned from play at my college dorms.

Flavor text to follow.
OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME
There are five "missions" total. The first side to complete three missions (either three successful missions for the Resistance, or three missions sabotaged for the Spies) wins.
HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED
Roles are assigned randomly; 6 players is 4 Resistance and 2 Spies. The Spies know each other's identities, the Resistance is given no information.
I. Every round, a "team leader" is selected. This is a role that simply passes clockwise every round.
II. After an appropriate amount of discussion*, the team leader creates a "mission team" by choosing a certain amount of members. They do not have to include themselves in this team, but they may.
III. Following another appropriate amount of discussion*, everyone votes whether or not they approve of this particular mission team being allowed to undertake the "mission." Votes on the chosen mission team are submitted privately to the GM and revealed simultaneously; unlike Success/Fail cards these votes WILL be tied to you.
IF MISSION TEAM IS ACCEPTED (simple majority)
  • Each chosen mission team member is given two choices (IRL, given two cards): Success and Fail.
  • Resistance MUST always play a Success.
  • Spies may play either a Fail or Success.
  • Each member secretly chooses which action they will take (IRL, card they will play), and messages it to the GM.
  • The cards are shuffled (so we don't know who played what), and then revealed to all players simultaneously by the GM. Move on to next procedure.
IF MISSION TEAM IS REJECTED (failure to achieve simple majority/tie vote)
  • Team leader passes clockwise and begin again from II.
IV. If all cards played are Success, the mission is a success and Resistance gain one successful mission!
  • Meanwhile, if even a single Fail is played (regardless of how many others are Success), the mission is a failure and the Spies successfully sabotage one mission.
VI. Repeat from I until either the Resistance has succeeded at three missions, or the Spies have sabotaged three missions.

* Note: In Phases II and III, the Team Leader decides what an "appropriate amount" constitutes. This can also be none.

Other additional rules:
- If a total of five team selections are rejected, the spies automatically win for having sown sufficient discord among the Resistance.
- There will be more rules specific for forum play that will elaborated at a later time.
That's it! More detailed rules can be found here:
YouTube explanation
Official Rules PDF
Unofficial but great short summary

A 6-player game has 4 Resistance and 2 Spies, and the mission board looks like this:

Code: Select all

1st Mission Team: 2 members
2nd Mission Team: 3 members
3rd Mission Team: 4 members
4th Mission Team: 3 members
5th Mission Team: 4 members
Example for Procedure III: MSmart chooses players A and B for the 1st mission, but the team is rejected. Team leader passes to the player next to him, and this new team leader must again choose 2 members (as we are still on the 1st mission). We do not advance to the 2nd mission until a 1st mission is actually undertaken (i.e. results in a Success or Fail, rather than stalling at the team selection phase; such a stall is not the same as a mission failure).

I'd like 6 players for this, and one substitute.
Thank you in advance!

MSmart

Re: THE RESISTANCE (not Mafia) Sign-Ups [6p+1]

#2 Post by MSmart » Mon May 30, 2022 4:40 am

Mae Klong River, Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand, 1941

Under orders of the Japanese, Allied POWs have just finished constructing a bridge over the Mae Klong River. In five nights, an important Japanese convoy will be crossing it, carrying vital supplies to the Pacific Front. The bridge has had multiple faults built into it, from poorly mixed concerete to the intentional introduction of termites. However, there are fears that the clandestine sabotage is still not enough for the bridge to collapse, and even worse fears that there are enemy sympathizers among our midst. Under the cover of night, we'll have to send out small teams to sow the seeds of destruction, and hopefully prepare a rousing surprise party in five days' time.

(based not-loosely on the 1957 film The Bridge on the River Kwai)

Kakarroto

#3 Post by Kakarroto » Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 am

So, basically it's the game Avalon but without Merlin, right? (Or maybe Avalon stole from this?)

The length of round could be everything from a few hours to a week, right? That strikes me a bit strange, but my sleep schedule right now is strange too. Maybe I join.

Also, from 'other additional rules', it is said that if five selections are rejected, the game ends, so it doesn't reset after every new mission?

MSmart

#4 Post by MSmart » Mon May 30, 2022 6:24 am

Kakarroto wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 5:42 am
So, basically it's the game Avalon but without Merlin, right? (Or maybe Avalon stole from this?)

Also, from 'other additional rules', it is said that if five selections are rejected, the game ends, so it doesn't reset after every new mission?
That's correct! Resistance is the original version with a sci-fi theme on the box, and then it was changed to Avalon.

And whoops, you are also right about the five selections rule. Wish I could edit it, but it does indeed reset every round.

1. Kakarroto

Bonatogether

Re: THE RESISTANCE (bootleg Mafia) Sign-Ups [6p+1]

#5 Post by Bonatogether » Tue May 31, 2022 2:23 am

/in

Bonatogether

#6 Post by Bonatogether » Tue May 31, 2022 2:24 am

how long are phase lengths?

MSmart

#7 Post by MSmart » Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:24 am
how long are phase lengths?
It's up to the current team leader, since they choose whether an "appropriate amount of discussion" has been had. They may also just start/end phases immediately, for the times when all players have agreed on something and discussion only gives spies a chance to sow discord.

That being said, if I HAD to give an answer, I would say the length of an average forum mafia day (48ish hours).

1. Kakarroto
2. Bonatogether

Bonatogether

#8 Post by Bonatogether » Tue May 31, 2022 3:39 am

can we set 'every player has posted twice unless it's clear they've ditched' as a baseline for adequate, with leader still deciding who's ending?

and do infiltrators get to talk in private?

MSmart

#9 Post by MSmart » Tue May 31, 2022 3:53 am

Bonatogether wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:39 am
can we set 'every player has posted twice unless it's clear they've ditched' as a baseline for adequate, with leader still deciding who's ending?

and do infiltrators get to talk in private?
Re: discussion, the leader decides WHEN discussion ends. If they want to hear more from someone, they can always address them directly. Otherwise I wouldn't want to set any rules on a minimum for contribution. Leader decides all, GM just runs it.

Spies do not get to talk in private, at any point at all. I of course ask future spies to please honor this.

Jamiet99uk

#10 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:09 am

Ok I'll have a go, put me in.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

MSmart

#11 Post by MSmart » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:21 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:09 am
Ok I'll have a go, put me in.
Awesome, another member of the 20Q gang!

1. Kakarroto
2. Bonatogether
3. Jamiet99uk

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#12 Post by Chaqa » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:35 pm

I'll play

MSmart

#13 Post by MSmart » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 pm

Chaqa wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:35 pm
I'll play
Welcome!

1. Kakarroto
2. Bonatogether
3. Jamiet99uk
4. Chaqa

MSmart

#14 Post by MSmart » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:04 am

Bump, though forgive me in advance as I'm not sure how long mafia games usually take to fill.

Bonatogether

#15 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:17 am

MSmart wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:04 am
Bump, though forgive me in advance as I'm not sure how long mafia games usually take to fill.
mafia is in a dry spell atm.

MSmart

#16 Post by MSmart » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:17 am

Perhaps the last bump.

Bonatogether

#17 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:41 am

i'm gonna have to take my name off

Kakarroto

#18 Post by Kakarroto » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:32 pm

With my current performance (regarding the ongoing mafia game), I think I should be taken off of the list too.

Since there aren't enough player it's unnecessary and on a later date when there are I can rejoin, but I wanted to inform you.