M71: Consensus Mafia [signups]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Jamiet99uk

Re: M71: Consensus Mafia [signups]

#101 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:20 pm

damo666 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:55 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:21 pm
damo666 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:18 pm
I eat food.
I wear coats.
I sometimes wear food. I don't eat coats.
Good for you, Damo. What you get up to with chocolate sauce in the comfort of your own bedroom is not for anyone else to judge.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

foodcoats

#102 Post by foodcoats » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Is the proposed fix described below a definitive addendum to the setup rules in post #2?

Assuming yes… do the malsubs flip their vote rigging power?
President Eden wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 pm
Proposed fix:

Each Malicious Subroutine has a vote-cancelling ability, as follows:

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious C.O.P. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the C.O.P. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious D.O.C. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the D.O.C. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

We found that working out the precise mechanics of the massclaim-breaking strategy was rather difficult, and that there are many possible permutations of dividing the players into groups and casting votes to test their alignments. However, all of them depend on the certainty of town voting working precisely as intended. Without already knowing the alignments of all the players, it’s not possible to divide the players into groups in a way that guarantees the majority bloc will have more than a one-vote advantage over a minority bloc. Thus, as long as the mafia are able to change at least one vote, town can never be certain that any given outcome was not the result of mafia changing one decisive vote from Column A to Column B. And unlike similar situations, such as compulsive visitors with a tracker, or millers with a cop, town has no meaningful way to assess the probabilities of their distributions of town and mafia in their groups, and thus no way to assess the likelihood that a given outcome is the result of mafia tampering.

At the same time, we think this change only slightly increases the mafia’s power level in a more “normal” setting (e.g., when the town is casting votes individually without mass coordination, as we envisioned when we designed the setup initially), and that this doesn’t overly interfere with the core mechanic of the game “as intended”—it gives mafia slight additional counterplay, but nothing breaking on their end.

We think that solves the issue… but by all means continue trying to break it :lol: This setup is new territory for us, and we’d rather have issues exposed now, while they can be changed.

Jamiet99uk

#103 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:45 pm

^ That's a sensible question, foods.
There are decades where nothing happens, and there are weeks where decades happen. - Lenin.

President Eden

#104 Post by President Eden » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Start date is postponed one last time to allow more signups. New (and final) start date will be announced later today. Possible changes to setup will be announced as well if signups continue to stagnate at ~15 instead of the anticipated ~21.

President Eden

#105 Post by President Eden » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:20 pm

foodcoats wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Is the proposed fix described below a definitive addendum to the setup rules in post #2?

Assuming yes… do the malsubs flip their vote rigging power?
President Eden wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 pm
Proposed fix:

Each Malicious Subroutine has a vote-cancelling ability, as follows:

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious C.O.P. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the C.O.P. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious D.O.C. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the D.O.C. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

- One Malicious Subroutine is now the “Malicious V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E. Subroutine,” and has the additional ability to change one player’s vote to target a player with the V.I.G.I.L.A.N.T.E. Subroutine’s night action to the target of their choice.

We found that working out the precise mechanics of the massclaim-breaking strategy was rather difficult, and that there are many possible permutations of dividing the players into groups and casting votes to test their alignments. However, all of them depend on the certainty of town voting working precisely as intended. Without already knowing the alignments of all the players, it’s not possible to divide the players into groups in a way that guarantees the majority bloc will have more than a one-vote advantage over a minority bloc. Thus, as long as the mafia are able to change at least one vote, town can never be certain that any given outcome was not the result of mafia changing one decisive vote from Column A to Column B. And unlike similar situations, such as compulsive visitors with a tracker, or millers with a cop, town has no meaningful way to assess the probabilities of their distributions of town and mafia in their groups, and thus no way to assess the likelihood that a given outcome is the result of mafia tampering.

At the same time, we think this change only slightly increases the mafia’s power level in a more “normal” setting (e.g., when the town is casting votes individually without mass coordination, as we envisioned when we designed the setup initially), and that this doesn’t overly interfere with the core mechanic of the game “as intended”—it gives mafia slight additional counterplay, but nothing breaking on their end.

We think that solves the issue… but by all means continue trying to break it :lol: This setup is new territory for us, and we’d rather have issues exposed now, while they can be changed.
This amendment is going to be incorporated in the final game rules, yea.

To your question, I’m not following what you mean by “flip their vote rigging power.”

Jamiet99uk

#106 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:35 pm

He's asking whether a Mafia player's flip will reveal all that information about the powers they had?

Jamiet99uk

#107 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:41 pm

i.e. since those are described as "additional" abilities, are they revealed on death?

President Eden

#108 Post by President Eden » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Oh duh, sorry.

I’ll have to think it over. It’s probably best for game balance if they only flip as a Malicious Subroutine, so the town doesn’t know which votes are no longer able to be disrupted.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#109 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:35 am

I see no indication that signups are closed, thus I am led to believe they are not yet closed.
foodcoats wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:20 am
GMs
-1. Chaqa
0. President Eden

Players
1. Build Os Number Alpha (Bona)
2. Generic Human Unit GHUG (ghug)
3. Java-Augmented Machine-Integrated Engine (Jamie)
4. Diskette-Accessible Memory Object (Damo)
5. Rapid Data Retriever Intelligence version A.2.0.05 (rdrivera2005)
6. BASIC Output Access To Mainframe and Neuralinked entities (Boatman/TheFlyingBoat)
7. Server Nodule Operating Webchat Yibble (Snowy)
8. SQL Query Utilizing Injections Generates Sentience v44 (Squigs44)
9. Computer Espousing Lies by AI to Pass as Human (celaph)
10. Buffoonery Organization of Zany Operations (bozo)
11. Realtime Health Kernel (RHK)
12. Logically Learned Analytic Machine Augmentation v8.0.0 (DeathLlama8)
13. Large Flaming Incremental Supercharged Crisis Having Lunch (lfischl)
14. fungible object-oriented database-controlled overclocked ASCII technical system
15. Multi Analytic Creative Computer of Acronyms v5.7.3 (Macca573)
16. B O (bo)

Substitutes
1.Tremendously Engineered Machinery Abiding Societal Expectations Knowingly 2.2 (Temasek22)
2. Strategic Arrangement Beta Instrument (Sabi)
3. Weird Optimum Rightfully Certified Enforcement Junction (worcej)

President Eden

#110 Post by President Eden » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:36 am

Unfortunately, due to various logistical issues, Consensus Mafia is suspended indefinitely. Chaqa and I will be announcing signups for a vanilla mini game tomorrow to start within the next week and run through Thanksgiving. Apologies to everyone who was excited for this setup; we are too, but we think this is the best decision for the moment.

We’re going to run this concept at some point in the future—potentially as the next game after Thanksgiving, perhaps later—but we don’t think it’s going to work at this time for a couple reasons.

1. Unlike some other setups, which are relatively agnostic to game size, Consensus Mafia depends on a fairly large number of players to function. As has been amply pointed out during signups, the game’s voting mechanics have abnormally high breaking potential. Smaller player lists reduce the number of variables and increase its potential to break. Additionally, reducing the game size would likely require eliminating one of the powers that town votes to use, which would reduce enjoyment of the setup. As a result, this game simply doesn’t scale down well, and would likely run poorly with the current number of players. We think this could minimally run on 17 players, but it would run much better in the 20+ range. Theoretically, we could just wait around for more signups, but…

2. This game was initially scheduled to start a week ago, on an accelerated schedule, to avoid interfering with players’ Thanksgiving plans and to complete the game before QuickTopic shuts down. At this pace, both of those goals will not be met, and while we think this game would function using Discord for private communications, we know that not everyone wants to play over Discord, and we frankly can’t afford to lose anybody for this game to function as designed.

Again, sorry to anyone disappointed by this news, as I can tell that there was a lot of excitement for the game among those who signed up. Consensus Mafia will be back, and will be a great game when it runs; now just isn’t the time.

President Eden

#111 Post by President Eden » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:37 am

:lol: I am so sorry bo. Signups were indeed still open, but we just don’t have enough to start on the timeline we needed.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#112 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:39 am

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Bonatogether

#113 Post by Bonatogether » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:12 am

:cry:

i need my mafia fix

BesharamSabi

#114 Post by BesharamSabi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:36 am

President Eden wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:36 am
Unfortunately, due to various logistical issues, Consensus Mafia is suspended indefinitely. Chaqa and I will be announcing signups for a vanilla mini game tomorrow to start within the next week and run through Thanksgiving. Apologies to everyone who was excited for this setup; we are too, but we think this is the best decision for the moment.

We’re going to run this concept at some point in the future—potentially as the next game after Thanksgiving, perhaps later—but we don’t think it’s going to work at this time for a couple reasons.

1. Unlike some other setups, which are relatively agnostic to game size, Consensus Mafia depends on a fairly large number of players to function. As has been amply pointed out during signups, the game’s voting mechanics have abnormally high breaking potential. Smaller player lists reduce the number of variables and increase its potential to break. Additionally, reducing the game size would likely require eliminating one of the powers that town votes to use, which would reduce enjoyment of the setup. As a result, this game simply doesn’t scale down well, and would likely run poorly with the current number of players. We think this could minimally run on 17 players, but it would run much better in the 20+ range. Theoretically, we could just wait around for more signups, but…

2. This game was initially scheduled to start a week ago, on an accelerated schedule, to avoid interfering with players’ Thanksgiving plans and to complete the game before QuickTopic shuts down. At this pace, both of those goals will not be met, and while we think this game would function using Discord for private communications, we know that not everyone wants to play over Discord, and we frankly can’t afford to lose anybody for this game to function as designed.

Again, sorry to anyone disappointed by this news, as I can tell that there was a lot of excitement for the game among those who signed up. Consensus Mafia will be back, and will be a great game when it runs; now just isn’t the time.
Booo

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#115 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:37 am

Sounds like there will be a game still.

DemonRHK
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#116 Post by DemonRHK » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:40 am

well shit

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#117 Post by dargorygel » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:04 am

Aye, this is just postponed. And a meanwhile mini coming soon. All is well (ish) other than bo's broken heart. Btw, good to see you, bo.

Jamiet99uk

#118 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:54 pm

Sadness!