Mafia 65: Dreamland II [Hidden]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
thamrick

Re: Mafia 65: Dreamland II [Hidden]

#4661 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 pm

I don't like any of the current wagons so I'm gonna vote

##Vote No Kill

worcej

#4662 Post by worcej » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 pm

thamrick wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:04 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:02 pm
thamrick wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:59 pm

Your words hurt
Your pathetic, excuse-ridden lack of any kind of attempt at this game hurts town. I assume you're therefore not town.
It's hard to care when a GM error makes your flip an inevitability ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can understand this level of annoyance.

The case on you is almost entirely based off the GM error and not your actual gameplay, though that has been rather lacking as Jamie mentions.

thamrick

#4663 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 pm
Thamrick has essentially admitted to being alien and almost certainly has not infected Jamie. He wants a kit wasted. He thinks he can still win depite being dk. That's why he's not putting up a fight.
Bingo. Don't kit Jamie. I repeat. Do NOT kit Jamie

Vecna

#4664 Post by Vecna » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:49 pm
Thamrick has essentially admitted to being alien and almost certainly has not infected Jamie. He wants a kit wasted. He thinks he can still win depite being dk. That's why he's not putting up a fight.
is that you interpretation of what tham just said jokingly or did other stuff happen?

thamrick

#4665 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Though... I guess I could vote celaph and use my 5 votes to do some interesting things

damo666

#4666 Post by damo666 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm

If Thamrick flips town it's his own fault. Nobody else's.

Foxcastle

#4667 Post by Foxcastle » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 pm

I'm here, I'm just watching Thamrick do nothing to save himself and taking that as an admission.

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4668 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 pm

If we are wrong about Tham it will suck but I can't see other choice now. This mechanic of Alien winning even being dead is really hard to deal.

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4669 Post by ghug » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:54 pm

damo666 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm
If Thamrick flips town it's his own fault. Nobody else's.
I feel like if he'd just scanned clear normally, it would have taken a lot longer for us to kill him, but he definitely hasn't done himself any favors.

##VOTE tham

rdrivera2005
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4670 Post by rdrivera2005 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:54 pm

thamrick wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm
Though... I guess I could vote celaph and use my 5 votes to do some interesting things
This remember why we can't even have a competing wagon. This mechanics really sucks.

Foxcastle

#4671 Post by Foxcastle » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:55 pm

rdrivera2005 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 pm
If we are wrong about Tham it will suck but I can't see other choice now. This mechanic of Alien winning even being dead is really hard to deal.
I'll save it for the post-game, but I think it'll be clear that the Alien is way overpowered.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4672 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:56 pm

4 minutes

Jamiet99uk

#4673 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Maniac / Bob, if you are here, just get on Thamrick to be sure, kaykay?

thamrick

#4674 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 pm
Maniac / Bob, if you are here, just get on Thamrick to be sure, kaykay?
Getting nervous, are we?

thamrick

#4675 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 pm

Actually, I'll ##VOTE celaph

Maniac
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4676 Post by Maniac » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 pm

##vote Thamrick I may as well be as stupid as rest of you

thamrick

#4677 Post by thamrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:59 pm

**For my fallen homies**

The fish hit the wire several times more and each time he shook his head the old
man gave up a little line.

I must hold his pain where it is, he thought. Mine does not matter. I can control
mine. But his pain could drive him mad.

After a while the fish stopped beating at the wire and started circling slowly again. The old man was gaining line steadily now. But he felt faint again. He lifted some sea water with his left hand and put it on his head. Then he put more on and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I have no cramps," he said. "He'll be up soon and I can last. You have to last. Don't even speak of it."

He kneeled against the bow and, for a moment, slipped the line over his back again. I'll rest now while he goes out on the circle and then stand up and work on him when he comes in, he decided.

[88] It was a great temptation to rest in the bow and let the fish make one circle by himself without recovering any line. But when the strain showed the fish had turned to come toward the boat, the old man rose to his feet and started the pivoting and the weaving pulling that brought in all the line he gained.

I'm tireder than I have ever been, he thought, and now the trade wind is rising. But that will be good to take him in with. I need that badly.

"I'll rest on the next turn as he goes out," he said. "I feel much better. Then in two or three turns more I will have him."

His straw hat was far on the back of his head and he sank down into the bow with the pull of the line as he felt the frsh turn.

You work now, fish, he thought. I'll take you at the turn.

The sea had risen considerably. But it was a fair-weather breeze and he had to have it to get home.

"I'll just steer south and west," he said. "A man is never lost at sea and it is a long
island."

It was on the third turn that he saw the frsh first.

He saw him first as a dark shadow that took so long [89] to pass under the boat that he could not believe its length.

- 33 -

The Old Man and the Sea Asiaing.com

"No/' he said. "He can't be that big."

But he was that big and at the end of this circle he came to the surface only thirty yards away and the man saw his tail out of water. It was higher than a big scythe blade and a very pale lavender above the dark blue water. It raked back and as the fish swam just below the surface the old man could see his huge bulk and the purple stripes that banded him. His dorsal fin was down and his huge pectorals were spread wide.

On this circle the old man could see the fish's eye and the two gray sucking frsh that swain around him. Sometimes they attached themselves to him. Sometimes they darted off. Sometimes they would swim easily in his shadow. They were each over three feet long and when they swam fast they lashed their whole bodies like eels.

The old man was sweating now but from something else besides the sun. On each
calm placid turn the frsh made he was gaining line and he was sure that in two turns more he would have a chance to get the harpoon in.

[90] But I must get him close, close, close, he thought. I mustn't try for the head. I must get the heart.

"Be calm and strong, old man," he said.

On the next circle the fish's beck was out but he was a little too far from the boat. On the next circle he was still too far away but he was higher out of water and the old man was sure that by gaining some more line he could have him alongside.

He had rigged his harpoon long before and its coil of light rope was in a round basket and the end was made fast to the bitt in the bow.

The fish was coming in on his circle now calm and beautiful looking and only his
great tail moving. The old man pulled on him all that he could to bring him closer. For just a moment the fish turned a little on his side. Then he straightened himself and began another circle.

"I moved him," the old man said. "I moved him then."

He felt faint again now but he held on the great fish all the strain that he could. I moved him, he thought. Maybe this time I can get him over. Pull, hands, he thought. Hold up, legs. Last for me, head. Last for me. You never went. This time I'll pull him over.

[91] But when he put all of his effort on, starting it well out before the fish came
alongside and pulling with all his strength, the fish pulled part way over and then righted himself and swam away.

"Fish," the old man said. "Fish, you are going to have to die anyway. Do you have to kill me too?"

That way nothing is accomplished, he thought. His mouth was too dry to speak but he could not reach for the water now. I must get him alongside this time, he thought. I am not good for many more turns. Yes you are, he told himself. You're good for ever.

- 34 -

On the next turn, he nearly had him. But again the fish righted himself and swam
slowly away.

You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother. Come on and kill me. I do not care who kills who.

Now you are getting confused in the head, he thought. You must keep your head
clear. Keep your head clear and know how to suffer like a man. Or a fish, he thought.

"Clear up, head," he said in a voice he could hardly hear. "Clear up."

[92] Twice more it was the same on the turns. I do not know, the old man thought. He had been on the point of feeling himself go each time. I do not know. But I will try it once more. He tried it once more and he felt himself going when he turned the fish. The frsh righted himself and swam off again slowly with the great tail weaving in the air. I'll try it again, the old man promised, although his hands were mushy now and he could only see well in flashes. He tried it again and it was the same. So he thought, and he felt himself going before he started; I will try it once again.

He took all his pain and what was left of his strength and his long gone pride and he put it against the fish's agony and the fish came over onto his side and swam gently on his side, his bill almost touching the planking of the skiff and started to pass the boat, long, deep, wide, silver and barred with purple and interminable in the water.

The old man dropped the line and put his foot on it and lifted the harpoon as high as he could and drove it down with all his strength, and more strength he had [93] just summoned, into the fish's side just behind the great chest fin that rose high in the air to the altitude of the man's chest. He felt the iron go in and he leaned on it and drove it further and then pushed all his weight after it.

Then the fish came alive, with his death in him, and rose high out of the water
showing all his great length and width and all his power and his beauty. He seemed to hang in the air above the old man in the skiff. Then he fell into the water with a crash that sent spray over the old man and over all of the skiff.

The old man felt faint and sick and he could not see well. But he cleared the harpoon line and let it run slowly through his raw hands and, when he could see, he saw the fish was on his back with his silver belly up. The shaft of the harpoon was projecting at an angle from the fish's shoulder and the sea was discolouring with the red of the blood from his heart. First it was dark as a shoal in the blue water that was more than a mile deep. Then it spread like a cloud. The fish was silvery and still and floated with the waves.

The old man looked carefully in the glimpse of vision that he had. Then he took two turns of the harpoon [94] line around the bitt in the bow and hid his head on his hands.

"Keep my head dear," he said against the wood of the bow. "I am a tired old man. But I have killed this fish which is my brother and now I must do the slave work."

Now I must prepare the nooses and the rope to lash him alongside, he thought. Even if we were two and swamped her to load him and bailed her out, this skiff would never

- 35 -

The Old Man and the Sea
Asiaing.com

hold him. I must prepare everything, then bring him in and lash him well and step the mast and set sail for home.

He started to pull the fish in to have him alongside so that he could pass a line
through his gills and out his mouth and make his head fast alongside the bow. I want to see him, he thought, and to touch and to feel him. He is my fortune, he thought. But that is not why I wish to feel him. I think I felt his heart, he thought. When I pushed on the harpoon shaft the second time. Bring him in now and make him fast and get the noose around his tail and another around his middle to bind him to the skiff.

"Get to work, old man," he said. He took a very [95] small drink of the water. "There is very much slave work to be done now that the fight is over."

He looked up at the sky and then out to his fish. He looked at the sun carefully. It is not much more than noon, he thought. And the trade wind is rising. The lines all mean nothing now. The boy and I will splice them when we are home.

"Come on, fish," he said. But the fish did not come.

Instead he lay there wallowing now in the seas and the old man pulled the skiff upon to him.

When he was even with him and had the fish's head against the bow he could not
believe his size. But he untied the harpoon rope from the bitt, passed it through the fish's gills and out his jaws, made a turn around his sword then passed the rope through the other gill, made another turn around the bill and knotted the double rope and made it fast to the bitt in the bow. He cut the rope then and went astern to noose the tail. The fish had turned silver from his original purple and silver, and the stripes showed the same pale violet colour as his tail. They were wider than a man's hand with his fingers spread and the fish's eye looked as detached as the mirrors in a periscope or as a saint in a procession.

[96] "It was the only way to kill him," the old man said. He was feeling better since the water and he knew he would not go away and his head was clear. He's over fifteen hundred pounds the way he is, he thought. Maybe much more. If he dresses out two- thirds of that at thirty cents a pound?

"I need a pencil for that," he said. "My head is not that clear. But I think the great DiMaggio would be proud of me today. I had no bone spurs. But the hands and the back hurt truly." I wonder what a bone spur is, he thought. Maybe we have them without knowing of it.

He made the fish fast to bow and stem and to the middle thwart. He was so big it
was like lashing a much bigger skiff alongside. He cut a piece of line and tied the fish's lower jaw against his bill so his mouth would not open and they would sail as cleanly as possible. Then he stepped the mast and, with the stick that was his gaff and with his boom rigged, the patched sail drew, the boat began to move, and half lying in the stem he sailed south-west.

He did not need a compass to tell him where southwest was. He only needed the feel

- 36 -

of the trade wind and the drawing of the sail. I better put a small line [97] out with a spoon on it and try and get something to eat and drink for the moisture. But he could not find a spoon and his sardines were rotten. So he hooked a patch of yellow Gulf weed with the gaff as they passed and shook it so that the small shrimps that were in it fell onto the planking of the skiff. There were more than a dozen of them and they jumped and kicked like sand fleas. The old man pinched their heads off with his thumb and forefinger and ate them chewing up the shells and the tails. They were very tiny but he knew they were nourishing and they tasted good.

The old man still had two drinks of water in the bottle and he used half of one after he had eaten the shrimps. The skiff was sailing well considering the handicaps and he steered with the tiller under his arm. He could see the fish and he had only to look at his hands and feel his back against the stem to know that this had truly happened and was not a dream. At one time when he was feeling so badly toward the end, he had thought perhaps it was a dream. Then when he had seen the fish come out of the water and hang motionless in the sky before he fell, he was sure there was some great strangeness and he could not believe it.

[98] Then he could not see well, although now he saw as well as ever. Now he knew there was the fish and his hands and back were no dream. The hands cure quickly, he thought. I bled them clean and the salt water will heal them. The dark water of the tme gulf is the greatest healer that there is. All I must do is keep the head clear. The hands have done their work and we sail well. With his mouth shut and his tail straight up and down we sail like brothers. Then his head started to become a little unclear and he thought, is he bringing me in or am I bringing him in? If I were towing him behind there would be no question. Nor if the fish were in the skiff, with all dignity gone, there would be no question either. But they were sailing together lashed side by side and the old man
thought, let him bring me in if it pleases him. I am only better than him through trickery and he meant me no harm.

They sailed well and the old man soaked his hands in the salt water and tried to keep his head clear. There were high cumulus clouds and enough cirrus above them so that the old man knew the breeze would last all night. The old man looked at the fish constantly [99] to make sure it was true. It was an hour before the first shark hit him.

The shark was not an accident. He had come up from deep down in the water as the dark cloud of blood had settled and dispersed in the mile deep sea. He had come up so fast and absolutely without caution that he broke the surface of the blue water and was in the sun. Then he fell back into the sea and picked up the scent and started swimming on the course the skiff and the fish had taken.

Sometimes he lost the scent. But he would pick it up again, or have just a trace of it, and he swam fast and hard on the course. He was a very big Make shark built to swim as fast as the fastest fish in the sea and everything about him was beautiful except his jaws. His back was as blue as a sword fish's and his belly was silver and his hide was smooth and handsome. He was built as a sword fish except for his huge jaws which were tight shut now as he swam fast, just under the surface with his high dorsal fin knifing through the water without wavering. Inside the closed double lip of his j aws all of his eight rows of teeth were slanted inwards. They were not the ordinary pyramid- shaped teeth of most

- 37 -

sharks. They were shaped like a man's [100] fingers when they are crisped like claws. They were nearly as long as the fingers of the old man and they had razor- sharp cutting edges on both sides. This was a fish built to feed on all the fishes in the sea, that were so fast and strong and well armed that they had no other enemy. Now he speeded up as he smelled the fresher scent and his blue dorsal fin cut the water.

When the old man saw him coming he knew that this was a shark that had no fear at all and would do exactly what he wished. He prepared the harpoon and made the rope fast while he watched the shark come on. The rope was short as it lacked what he had cut away to lash the fish.

The old man's head was clear and good now and he was full of resolution but he had little hope. It was too good to last, he thought. He took one look at the great fish as he watched the shark close in. It might as well have been a dream, he thought. I cannot keep him from hitting me but maybe I can get him. Dentuso, he thought. Bad luck to your mother.

The shark closed fast astern and when he hit the fish the old man saw his mouth
open and his strange eyes and the clicking chop of the teeth as he drove forward in the meat just above the tail. The shark's head [ 10 1] was out of water and his back was coming out and the old man could hear the noise of skin and flesh ripping on the big fish when he rammed the harpoon down onto the shark's head at a spot where the line between his eyes intersected with the line that ran straight back from his nose. There were no such lines. There was only the heavy sharp blue head and the big eyes and the clicking, thrusting all- swallowing jaws. But that was the location of the brain and the old man hit it. He hit it with his blood mushed hands driving a good harpoon with all his strength. He
hit it without hope but with resolution and complete malignancy.

The shark swung over and the old man saw his eye was not alive and then he swung over once again, wrapping himself in two loops of the rope. The old man knew that he was dead but the shark would not accept it. Then, on his back, with his tail lashing and his jaws clicking, the shark plowed over the water as a speedboat does. The water was white where his tail beat it and three-quarters of his body was clear above the water when the rope came taut, shivered, and then snapped. The shark lay quietly for a little while on the surface and the old man watched him. Then he went down very slowly.

[ 102] "He took about forty pounds," the old man said aloud. He took my harpoon too and all the rope, he thought, and now my fish bleeds again and there will be others. He did not like to look at the fish anymore since he had been mutilated. When the fish had been hit it was as though he himself were hit. But I killed the shark that hit my fish, he thought. And he was the biggest dentuso that I have ever seen. And God knows that I have seen big ones. It was too good to last, he thought. I wish it had been a dream now and that I had never hooked the fish and was alone in bed on the newspapers.

"But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not
defeated." I am sorry that I killed the fish though, he thought. Now the bad time is coming and I do not even have the harpoon. The dentuso is cruel and able and strong and intelligent. But I was more intelligent than he was. Perhaps not, he thought. Perhaps I was only better armed.

- 38 -

"Don't think, old man," he said aloud. "Sail on this course and take it when it comes.

But I must think, he thought. Because it is all I have left. That and baseball. I wonder how the great [ 103] DiMaggio would have liked the way I hit him in the brain? It was no great thing, he thought. Any man could do it. But do you think my hands were as great a handicap as the bone spurs? I cannot know. I never had anything wrong with my heel except the time the sting ray stung it when I stepped on him when swimming and paralyzed the lower leg and made the unbearable pain.

'Think about something cheerful, old man," he said. "Every minute now you are
closer to home. You sail lighter for the loss of forty pounds."

He knew quite well the pattern of what could happen when he reached the inner part of the current. But there was nothing to be done now.

'Yes there is," he said aloud. "I can lash my knife to the butt of one of the oars."

So he did that with the tiller under his arm and the sheet of the sail under his foot.

"Now," he said. "I am still an old man. But I am not unarmed."

The breeze was fresh now and he sailed on well. He watched only the forward part of the fish and some of his hope returned.

It is silly not to hope, he thought. Besides I believe [ 104] it is a sin. Do not think
about sin, he thought. There are enough problems now without sin. Also I have no understanding of it.

I have no understanding of it and I am not sure that I believe in it. Perhaps it was a sin to kill the fish. I suppose it was even though I did it to keep me alive and feed many people. But then everything is a sin. Do not think about sin. It is much too late for that and there are people who are paid to do it. Let them think about it. You were bom to be a fisherman as the fish was bom to be a fish. San Pedro was a fisherman as was the father of the great DiMaggio.

But he liked to think about all things that he was involved in and since there was
nothing to read and he did not have a radio, he thought much and he kept on thinking about sin. You did not kill the fish only to keep alive and to sell for food, he thought. You killed him for pride and because you are a fisherman. You loved him when he was alive and you loved him after. If you love him, it is not a sin to kill him. Or is it more?

'You think too much, old man," he said aloud.

But you enjoyed killing the dentuso, he thought. He lives on the live fish as you do. He is not a scavenger [ 105] nor just a moving appetite as some sharks are. He is beautiful and noble and knows no fear of anything.

"I killed him in self-defense," the old man said aloud. "And I killed him well."

Besides, he thought, eveiything kills everything else in some way. Fishing kills me
exactly as it keeps me alive. The boy keeps me alive, he thought. I must not deceive

- 39 -

myself too much.

He leaned over the side and pulled loose a piece of the meat of the fish where the shark had cut him. He chewed it and noted its quality and its good taste. It was firm and juicy, like meat, but it was not red. There was no stringiness in it and he knew that it would bring the highest price In the market. But there was no way to keep its scent out of the water and the old man knew that a very had time was coming.

The breeze was steady. It had backed a little further into the north-east and he knew that meant that it would not fall off. The old man looked ahead of him but he could see no sails nor could he see the hull nor the smoke of any ship. There were only the flying fish that went up from his bow sailing away to either side and the yellow patches of Gulf weed. He could not even see a bird.

[106] He had sailed for two hours, resting in the stem and sometimes chewing a bit of the meat from the marlin, trying to rest and to be strong, when he saw the first of the two sharks. "Ay," he said aloud. There is no translation for this word and perhaps it is just a noise such as a man might make, involuntarily, feeling the nail go through his hands and into the wood.

"Galanos," he said aloud. He had seen the second fin now coming up behind the first and had identified them as shovel- nosed sharks by the brown, triangular fin and the sweeping movements of the tail. They had the scent and were excited and in the stupidity of their great hunger they were losing and finding the scent in their excitement. But they were closing all the time.

The old man made the sheet fast and jammed the tiller. Then he took up the oar with the knife lashed to it. He lifted it as lightly as he could because his hands rebelled at the pain. Then he opened and closed them on it lightly to loosen them. He closed them firmly so they would take the pain now and would not flinch and watched the sharks come. He could see their wide, flattened, shovel-pointed heads now and their white tipped wide pectoral frns. They were hateful sharks, [107] bad smelling, scavengers as well as killers,
and when they were hungry they would bite at an oar or the mdder of a boat. It was these sharks that would cut the turtles' legs and flippers off when the turtles were asleep on the surface, and they would hit a man in the water, if they were hungry, even if the man had no smell of fish blood nor of fish slime on him.

"Ay," the old man said. "Galanos. Come on galanos."

They came. But they did not come as the Mako had come. One turned and went out of sight under the skiff and the old man could feel the skiff shake as he jerked and pulled on the fish. The other watched the old man with his slitted yellow eyes and then came in fast with his half circle of jaws wide to hit the fish where he had already been bitten. The line showed clearly on the top of his brown head and back where the brain joined the spinal cord and the old man drove the knife on the oar into the juncture, withdrew it, and drove it in again into the shark's yellow cat-like eyes. The shark let go of the frsh and slid down, swallowing what he had taken as he died.

The skiff was still shaking with the destruction the other shark was doing to the frsh and the old man let [108] go the sheet so that the skiff would swing broadside and bring

- 40 -

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4678 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 pm

PLEASE HOLD
DO NOT POST
VOTE COUNT COMING SOON
DAY HAS ENDED

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4679 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:02 pm

Final Vote Count
thamrick (9) damo666, Jamiet99uk, Foxcastle, Macca573, Vecna, rdrivera2005, celaph, ghug, Maniac
celaph (2) worcej, thamrick
Foxcastle (1) BobMcBob

PM me if there is a problem

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4680 Post by dargorygel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:05 pm

As the sun sets on a less-stormy day, an odd noise catches the attention of the townsfolk who are awake. The noise sounds like a kettle boiling, or a leaky steam pipe.

They trace the sound to an old unoccupied barracks. They eye each other. Unsure of who should go in to investigate the sound. The more they listen it sounds like someone trying to speak. But spluttering lightly instead. A lisp, maybe?

Four or five… actually seven… reach out and take the door handle together, and cautiously open the door.

They hear a click.

And a silence. (Well, they do not HEAR a silence… but you know what I mean.)

And then…

AN EXPLOSION!

The door clearly had been booby-trapped. And the explosion did not harm any of the people entering… but wow, it sure harmed someone who had been sitting at a desk.

He had been speaking into a microphone… trying to learn how to speak, perhaps? To sound like an earthling???

As the folk examine body parts… they find some odd bits and pieces. As if he was… inhuman?

They look closely. Wait. Not inhuman at all. But bits and pieces of a disguise! Someone who tried to look like he was not what he was!
In fact… they realize the sounds were not someone trying to sound earthling! But practicing to overcome a LISP!

One bit of paper… an id… floats to the ground.

Someone picks it up.

It reads: Sam Richard something-or-other.
Tham Rick?

Thamrick has died. He was the Man in Black.

Night has begun.
You may post