MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
lfischl

Re: MAFIA 77: RETURN TO THE WEST [GAME THREAD] - [HIDDEN]

#621 Post by lfischl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm

lfischl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:48 pm
bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:38 pm
lfischl is voting, so we have a majority on board
I'm only voting because I'm a target man, I do believe balki is town, but he's really doing his best to help scum here I think.
Also, we already have 2 known PR's neither of which is the gambler, do we want to most likely kill a town for a 25% chance of something?

lfischl

#622 Post by lfischl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
While this splendid discussion has been happening, no-one engaged on my detailed post outlining the rationale why I think worjec is Mafia in response to ghug.

I mean, I totally 100% get why worjec would prefer to paper over that and move on to the next topic, especially if they really are Mafia – but what about everyone else?

Happy to hear reasons why my logic is flawed and I am wrong. Happy to hear agreement with my rationale. Happy to hear feedback that I'm doing it wrong.

But I kind of want to hear... something?

Because at the point I am kind of bored – can I just vote for myself tomorrow y'all? It's really not fun keeping up with a gigantic thread of posts that don't engage on your ideas at all after several folks have suggested participating in discussions more.
could you link that post?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#623 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm

All we need is a majority and an agreement to hammer. That will show scum that this vote matters, and their votes matter. If they want to sit out, great.

I believe we have a majority.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#624 Post by Chaqa » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Do I actually need to ##Vote worcej

BunnyGo

#625 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:16 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:34 pm
Yeah that sequence looks more townie. ##VOTE lfischl
Day 1 fish was so different than last game. Does that matter to you?
1. Make claim
2. Don't substantiate claim
3. Imply conclusion that would be dubious even if said claim were accurate

I'm content parking my vote on someone who hasn't given us much until I see something better. What strikes you as townie about his play here as opposed to last game?
Day 1 fish was high poster. Complained a lot. Tried wolfing. Was scum.

Day 1 fish here. Low poster. Low energy. Unmemorable.

Not saying townie. Just completely unlike his scum game last game.

BunnyGo

#626 Post by BunnyGo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 pm

lfischl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm
lfischl wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
I'm only voting because I'm a target man, I do believe balki is town, but he's really doing his best to help scum here I think.
Also, we already have 2 known PR's neither of which is the gambler, do we want to most likely kill a town for a 25% chance of something?
You think chaqa was serious?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#627 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 pm

lfischl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 pm
lfischl wrote:
bo_sox48 wrote:
This is our best method of reducing our POE and solving the game. Majority votes. Town has a large majority of players right now. And wolves have to try to look like Town. This is the same as a Daychop only better cause it confers a free item and is done before we lose a Townie to the NK.

lfischl

#628 Post by lfischl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:52 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 pm
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:16 pm
BunnyGo wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm

Day 1 fish was so different than last game. Does that matter to you?
1. Make claim
2. Don't substantiate claim
3. Imply conclusion that would be dubious even if said claim were accurate

I'm content parking my vote on someone who hasn't given us much until I see something better. What strikes you as townie about his play here as opposed to last game?
Day 1 fish was high poster. Complained a lot. Tried wolfing. Was scum.

Day 1 fish here. Low poster. Low energy. Unmemorable.

Not saying townie. Just completely unlike his scum game last game.
what is wolfing?

KoalaAttack

#629 Post by KoalaAttack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:42 am
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 am

Also, since ghug asked me for more thoughts, I think it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is ghug's reaction to my hypothesis of worcej reading an obvious-joke post as serious being suspicious!
Worcej isn't the best reader, but I think he was more taking issue with it seeming kind of tryhardy, which I'm indifferent to.

Who do you think was most responsible for pyxxy's death?

Interesting, but reading it as tryhardy only applies if you take it as non-fluff. Personally, I thought my original post was sooo clearly jumping the shark it was obviously on the same level of NAI relevance as steak or citizenship discussions. But I invite everyone to judge for themselves!

Also, you folks are giving me pressure to engage, but without knowing others so well the earlier assessment by Hamilton Brian of taking joviality as an approach to “break the ice” is indeed accurate.

Now, if worcej is an experienced player, which is the impression I’m getting – they probably saw other new players take a similar approach before. So the question in my mind is “is this a poor read by an experienced player, or something deeper going on?”

On the other hand, if worcej is just that kind of guy/gal who makes fun of a new person at a party for trying to break the ice, then that kind of makes me want to

##VOTE worcej

anyway, if we are going with Balki’s suggestion of the binding vote for the Gambler. But I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume they are Mafia.

(Sorry if you end up being town after all worcej)

To answer your question of who is most responsible, according to
http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_st ... =day&num=1 I’d say either Ham who broke the 4-way tie of 2s, bo_ who broke the 2-way tie of 3s, or yav who locked it in.

I don’t have enough Mafia experience to know if breaking the tie of “locking it in” tends to weigh more – so I defer to the group’s judgement on that.

Here it is for reference!

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#630 Post by ghug » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:58 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 pm
KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 am
ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:42 am

Worcej isn't the best reader, but I think he was more taking issue with it seeming kind of tryhardy, which I'm indifferent to.

Interesting, but reading it as tryhardy only applies if you take it as non-fluff. Personally, I thought my original post was sooo clearly jumping the shark it was obviously on the same level of NAI relevance as steak or citizenship discussions. But I invite everyone to judge for themselves!

Also, you folks are giving me pressure to engage, but without knowing others so well the earlier assessment by Hamilton Brian of taking joviality as an approach to “break the ice” is indeed accurate.

Now, if worcej is an experienced player, which is the impression I’m getting – they probably saw other new players take a similar approach before. So the question in my mind is “is this a poor read by an experienced player, or something deeper going on?”

On the other hand, if worcej is just that kind of guy/gal who makes fun of a new person at a party for trying to break the ice, then that kind of makes me want to

##VOTE worcej

anyway, if we are going with Balki’s suggestion of the binding vote for the Gambler. But I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume they are Mafia.

http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_st ... =day&num=1 I’d say either Ham who broke the 4-way tie of 2s, bo_ who broke the 2-way tie of 3s, or yav who locked it in.

I don’t have enough Mafia experience to know if breaking the tie of “locking it in” tends to weigh more – so I defer to the group’s judgement on that.

Here it is for reference!
I already engaged a little, but I think it's pretty typical of worcej to read tone weirdly and take offense at something like that, so I don't think I agree with your argument, but it's a fair enough one to make from your agnostic position.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#631 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:00 pm

KoalaAttack wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 pm

##VOTE worcej
Would you please repost the original worcej post on which you are basing this read? Let's discuss it.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#632 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 pm

I still contend that if we hammer someone, it's got to be a volunteer.

We don't want to make a PR out themselves.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#633 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 pm

Are you guys picturing an attack on koalas or by koalas?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#634 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 pm

How is it any different than any other daychop?

We daychop without volunteers. We are going to daychop tomorrow. We're just voting now when we have one more town player and the potential to get a free useful item.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#635 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 pm

I'll also contend that the volunteer needs to do so right at, or immediately after the EON.

Hamilton Brian
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#636 Post by Hamilton Brian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:34 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 pm
Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 pm

How is it any different than any other daychop?

We daychop without volunteers. We are going to daychop tomorrow. We're just voting now when we have one more town player and the potential to get a free useful item.
How is it different? During ordinary daykilling we're prone to mistakes, killing town when we're hoping for mafia, and sometimes taking a PR down in the process. There's no chance of that happening with what I am proposing.

Unless I am missing something.

KoalaAttack

#637 Post by KoalaAttack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:34 pm

Oh gosh, phpBB’s UI is killing me. OK, as requested by a few people - here are all the relevant posts for KoalaAttack’s hypothesis of Worcej being Mafia:

Koala:
I am not sure how to contribute to this grand discussion, so I will now role-play my username.
A sleepy koala awakens...
I have 3 silly questions and 1 real one for the town-folk:
…irrelevant…
Bonus Wisdom) Forget Oxy, Eucalyptus is where it's at.
... back to sleep now.

ghug:
…irrelevant…
Do you have any thoughts on other players? I know it can be a bit overwhelming, but you're not tied to any of your opinions, it helps us read you if you're saying things, and it's good to get conversation flowing in general.

Koala:
Oh wait! I have another thought on players. You should never kill koalas, or vote to kill koalas. Being a koala-killer is a truly horrible thing to do, and should always be avoided if you have a shred of decency in your heart.

Worcej:
I find this more off-putting than probably anyone else here - but this just seems too over the top for my liking.

BunnyGo:
Don't kill the new guy D1...I don't care if he asks "what does it mean when my PM tells me who all my teammates are, doesn't that make the game easy?"

Worcej:
Everyone assumes I am saying we should kill someone when I point at something negative from a player...
Just saying it was a little much and makes me go |Emoji|

Hamilton Brian:
Smacks of newness to me. I think it was my approach in my first game. Not like this exactly but a joviality.

Koala:
Haha, I have two thoughts:
(1) You actually read the koala guilt-trip post as serious? Even after I explicitly announced I'll be role-playing a koala? Suspicious.
(2) I appreciate the sentiment to now kill the newbie on day 1. But holy crap, there are a lot of posts to go through. I don't mind if y'all kill me early, there is a small chance I might have bitten off more than I can chew given the sheer volume of posts on here coupled with the seeming expectaion of folks to stay really on top of them all!
PS: But if you do, you will still live the rest of your life knowing you are a koala-killer. |Emoji|

Ghug:
Fewer excuses and apologies, more thoughts!
(I know it's hard, we're all insane.)

Koala:
I'm trying re more thoughts. I thought that (1) was a thought, pun intended – someone reading an obvious joke post seriously is suspicious. I stand by that.
And there were no apologies. Not sure there is anything to apologize for?

Koala:
Also, since ghug asked me for more thoughts, I think it will be interesting to see what, if anything, is ghug's reaction to my hypothesis of worcej reading an obvious-joke post as serious being suspicious!

Ghug:

Koala:
##VOTE worcej
http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_st ... =day&num=1 I’d say either Ham who broke the 4-way tie of 2s, bo_ who broke the 2-way tie of 3s, or yav who locked it in.

Koala:
While this splendid discussion has been happening, no-one engaged on my detailed post outlining the rationale why I think worjec is Mafia in response to ghug.
I mean, I totally 100% get why worjec would prefer to paper over that and move on to the next topic, especially if they really are Mafia – but what about everyone else?
Happy to hear reasons why my logic is flawed and I am wrong. Happy to hear agreement with my rationale. Happy to hear feedback that I'm doing it wrong.
But I kind of want to hear... something?
Because at the point I am kind of bored – can I just vote for myself tomorrow y'all? It's really not fun keeping up with a gigantic thread of posts that don't engage on your ideas at all after several folks have suggested participating in discussions more.

bozotheclown

#638 Post by bozotheclown » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:34 pm

ghug wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:23 pm
##VOTE yav

Unofficial night vote count:
lfischl (3): worcej, bo
Bunny (1): Balki
worcej (1): Koala
damo (1): rd
yavuzovic (1): ghug

Non-voters (7/13): bozo, BunnyGo, Chaqa, damo666, Hamilton Brian, lfischl, yavuzovic

Hope is not high at this point.

Unofficial night vote count:
lfischl (2): worcej, bo
Bunny (1): Balki
worcej (3): Koala, lfischl, Chaqa
damo (1): rd
yavuzovic (1): ghug

Is this where we stand now?

I don't think that is enough consensus for the theoretical gambler, and worcej would not be my choice for a DK.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#639 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 pm
I'll also contend that the volunteer needs to do so right at, or immediately after the EON.
Nobody do this.

KoalaAttack

#640 Post by KoalaAttack » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:30 pm
Are you guys picturing an attack on koalas or by koalas?
Mate, how can you even suggest attacking koalas! Of course it Attack BY Koalas. I'll have you know I have a Koala son & grandson (for real, you can adopt them via Australian Koala Foundation). You shall never attack koalas, even if they are attacking you first!

Attack by koalas on the other hand... Think about it – they sleep all day, get high on eucalyptus, look harmless, then sleep some more. Terrifying, no?