Twenty questions, round 273

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Spartaculous

Re: Twenty questions, round 273

#41 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 1:06 am

DarthPorg36 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 pm
Famous for inventing something military, electrical, or computer - related; or a teacher?
DarthPorg36 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 am
Considering that you literally said he's an inventor, scratch the teacher part of the question
So, I'm assuming that the question is now "Famous for inventing something military, electrical, or computer - related?".

No.
Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:55 am
Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:55 am
Free guess: Federico Faggin
Actually, make this conditional on a "yes" to DarthPorg's question.
Obviously, this doesn't count, but I did just look up Faggin, and he has quite the résumé (designed the first commercial microprocessor, and then went on to start a company that developed the first touchpads and touchscreens).

Spartaculous

#42 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 am

Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:04 am
If "no" to DarthPorg's question, free guess: Ernő Rubik
Almost missed this one. It's a good thing I didn't, because Rubik is correct!

Hominidae

#43 Post by Hominidae » Wed May 01, 2024 1:12 am

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 am
Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:04 am
If "no" to DarthPorg's question, free guess: Ernő Rubik
Almost missed this one. It's a good thing I didn't, because Rubik is correct!
That's the second accomplished living Hungarian I've correctly guessed in one of your rounds. The only reason I found Faggin first is because I was going through the List of Inventors Wikipedia page alphabetically.

Very good pick. New thread will be up relatively soon!

Aristocrat

#44 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 01, 2024 1:27 am

How is a toymaker famous for their involvement in the arts, as defined in previous games

Spartaculous

#45 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 1:49 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:27 am
How is a toymaker famous for their involvement in the arts, as defined in previous games
Rubik's university studies were initially in sculpture, before moving into architecture and interior design. He was a faculty member at the Budapest College of Applied Arts in the 1970s when he invented his "Magic Cube". I think that he would have considered himself an artist, and his cube invention grew out of his artistic endeavors. It was a close call, admittedly; that's why my answer came with a bit of a disclaimer.

Spartaculous

#46 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 1:51 am

Hominidae wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:12 am
That's the second accomplished living Hungarian I've correctly guessed in one of your rounds.
Georgy Marx:
The universe is vast, containing myriads of stars ... likely to have planets circling around them. ... The simplest living things will multiply, evolve by natural selection and become more complicated till eventually active, thinking creatures will emerge. ... Yearning for fresh worlds ... they should spread out all over the Galaxy. These highly exceptional and talented people could hardly overlook such a beautiful place as our Earth. – "And so," Fermi came to his overwhelming question, "if all this has been happening, they should have arrived here by now, so where are they?" – It was Leo Szilard, a man with an impish sense of humor, who supplied the perfect reply to the Fermi Paradox: "They are among us," he said, "but they call themselves Hungarians."

Aristocrat

#47 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 01, 2024 1:55 am

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:49 am
Aristocrat wrote:
Rubik's university studies were initially in sculpture, before moving into architecture and interior design. He was a faculty member at the Budapest College of Applied Arts in the 1970s when he invented his "Magic Cube". I think that he would have considered himself an artist, and his cube invention grew out of his artistic endeavors. It was a close call, admittedly; that's why my answer came with a bit of a disclaimer.
Hitler wanted to be an artist, too, but his claim to fame isn’t related to the arts.

Spartaculous

#48 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 2:01 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:55 am
Spartaculous wrote:
Aristocrat wrote:
Hitler wanted to be an artist, too, but his claim to fame isn’t related to the arts.
That's not a fair comparison to make. Hitler was not a professor at an art institute.

Aristocrat

#49 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:01 am
Aristocrat wrote:
Spartaculous wrote:

That's not a fair comparison to make. Hitler was not a professor at an art institute.
And Rubik wasn’t famous for being a professor.

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#50 Post by cdngooner » Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 am

Jesus people, stop whining and blaming the QM because you weren't able to read the clues and answer the question. If the answer made it difficult for you, GOOD. THAT'S THE GAME. Someone else with a more creative mind was able to put the pieces together and get it right. What ever happened to losing gracefully.

Aristocrat

#51 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 01, 2024 2:20 am

cdngooner wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 am
Jesus people, stop whining and blaming the QM because you weren't able to read the clues and answer the question. If the answer made it difficult for you, GOOD. THAT'S THE GAME. Someone else with a more creative mind was able to put the pieces together and get it right. What ever happened to losing gracefully.
You’re welcome to respond as an adult or not at all. Trolling is not a good look for you.

Spartaculous

#52 Post by Spartaculous » Wed May 01, 2024 2:40 am

Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am
Spartaculous wrote:
Aristocrat wrote:
A while back, I did a round with John Bardeen as the target. He was a professor of physics and engineering; I frequently walk by plaques in his honor. He is most notable for co-inventing the transistor, which he did in the course of his usual research activities as a professor.

Ernő Rubik invented his eponymous Cube as part of his activities as a professor. From Wikipedia: "Starting with blocks of wood and rubber bands, Rubik set out to create a structure that would allow the individual pieces to move without the whole structure falling apart." This is clearly in the vein of his academic interests in architecture and interior design.

It seems to me that Bardeen and Rubik have very similar claims to fame: they are both famous for inventing something in the course of their work as professors. And, in Rubik's case, he was specifically a professor of art. That is why I placed his invention in the "arts" category.

I would definitely have also answered "yes" to a similar question about the sciences. My comment before my answer was definitely intended to encourage more questions not just in the arts bucket; Wattsthematter deserves a lot of credit for asking the invention question.

Many other artists have created art inspired by or incorporating Rubik's Cubes (see, for instance, a mosaic whose medium is 4,242 cubes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Cube#Exhibits_and_art

Aristocrat

#53 Post by Aristocrat » Wed May 01, 2024 4:28 am

Spartaculous wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:40 am
Aristocrat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am
Spartaculous wrote:

A while back, I did a round with John Bardeen as the target. He was a professor of physics and engineering; I frequently walk by plaques in his honor. He is most notable for co-inventing the transistor, which he did in the course of his usual research activities as a professor.

Ernő Rubik invented his eponymous Cube as part of his activities as a professor. From Wikipedia: "Starting with blocks of wood and rubber bands, Rubik set out to create a structure that would allow the individual pieces to move without the whole structure falling apart." This is clearly in the vein of his academic interests in architecture and interior design.

It seems to me that Bardeen and Rubik have very similar claims to fame: they are both famous for inventing something in the course of their work as professors. And, in Rubik's case, he was specifically a professor of art. That is why I placed his invention in the "arts" category.

I would definitely have also answered "yes" to a similar question about the sciences. My comment before my answer was definitely intended to encourage more questions not just in the arts bucket; Wattsthematter deserves a lot of credit for asking the invention question.

Many other artists have created art inspired by or incorporating Rubik's Cubes (see, for instance, a mosaic whose medium is 4,242 cubes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik%27s_Cube#Exhibits_and_art
I will say I am not sure I entirely agree with the answer as given in the round, but I do see the point and appreciate the thoughtful and mature response.

Hominidae

#54 Post by Hominidae » Wed May 01, 2024 9:18 am

I think inventing a toy falls into the category of arts, regardless of other biographical details.