Russia in Bot Games

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
CaptainFritz28

Russia in Bot Games

#1 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:57 am

I started a bot game recently, and was assigned to Russia. I opened with a standard move to BLA, Ukraine, Gal, and BOT. I then moved into Sweden and Rumania, and was bounced out of both, as well as being bounced out of Galicia by Austria. England, Turkey, and Austria all proceeded to attack me.

It seems that in such scenarios, Russia is just screwed. Is there anything I could have done to not lose?
Ferre ad Finem!

Temasek22

Re: Russia in Bot Games

#2 Post by Temasek22 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:08 am

Anyone would be screwed if they were attacked by 3 of their neighbours at once. You just got unlucky, happens to the best of us.

CaptainFritz28

#3 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:45 pm

Yeah, it's just a bot game though. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong.
Ferre ad Finem!

DougJoe

#4 Post by DougJoe » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:34 am

CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:45 pm
Yeah, it's just a bot game though. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong.
Probably not, bots and all. Did you cancel the game? I couldn't find it in your list.

CaptainFritz28

#5 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:39 am

I did, yes. In hindsight I should have just drawn so that I could reference it in the post, but I was annoyed enough with the bots at the time to cancel it.
Ferre ad Finem!

DougJoe

#6 Post by DougJoe » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:56 am

CaptainFritz28 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:39 am
I did, yes. In hindsight I should have just drawn so that I could reference it in the post, but I was annoyed enough with the bots at the time to cancel it.
Ah, that's too bad. Was hoping to see what the board looked like after S01. It was probably not salvageable, but it's hard to say.

My current record with Russia vs. bots is, in 66 games:
26 Solos (39.39% - from best to worst, for me it's TIFREGA, Russia's right in the middle)
6 Draws (9.09%)
13 Survivals (19.7%)
21 Eliminations (31.82%)

I went through all 26 solos and couldn't find one where I got "attacked" by A/E/T in a way that seems to match what you describe, but I did find one game where I did not get a build in 1901:
https://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=402050

In this game, I don't know if Austria was planning on attacking me, but he had Italy on his butt and that kept Austria off mine. England let me have Norway in 1902. I'd supsect that with A/E/T all being threatening, you probably need F/G/I to counter balance at least one of them so you can focus on Turkey. England putting a fleet in StP is also not the worst thing if it happens. But I get squished a lot, too. :-)

ARCHIE JONES

#7 Post by ARCHIE JONES » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Hello everyone, I am new on webDiplomacy, great to join the community !
Quick question, if someone kind can take 1 min to answer :)
I do not figure out how to play vs 6 Cicero IA in a short game (5 min or 10 min / turn).

Anyone can help me ?

When I "start an AI/bot game", i dont see any settings about turn time + I get no response from my messages.

CaptainFritz28

#8 Post by CaptainFritz28 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:20 am

ARCHIE JONES wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm
Hello everyone, I am new on webDiplomacy, great to join the community !
Quick question, if someone kind can take 1 min to answer :)
I do not figure out how to play vs 6 Cicero IA in a short game (5 min or 10 min / turn).

Anyone can help me ?

When I "start an AI/bot game", i dont see any settings about turn time + I get no response from my messages.
The way that bot games work is they are adjudicated as soon as you ready your orders. It is not a timer. Thus, every bot game can be a blitz game, or shorter, depending only on how long you take to decide your orders.
Ferre ad Finem!