Austria vs Bots

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Austria vs Bots

#241 Post by Trigfea63 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:56 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:03 pm
There are two possible options: TRI-->VEN supported by ADR, or the other way around. So, which support will Italy cut? In Autumn '02 he cut TRI, and in Spring '03 he cut ADR. Is the Italian bot-brain alternating between the two movesets? Is it more likely to repeat the last moveset? I have almost no basis on which to predict. I suppose all things being equal, the safer course is ADR-->VEN supported by TRI, and VEN-->TYR to cut that support. Then at least if I don't capture Venice, Trieste is at least protected from an Italian attack (the cut-support defense). Unless some other brilliant plan appears, that's what I'll do.
I made the moves above, but Italy was all over it. Total defensive posture. Here are the large-map summary results for Autumn '03:

https://webdiplomacy.net/map.php?gameID ... Type=large

Two interesting developments in my part of the world: Turkey ordered AEG-->GRE. I don't view that as overly hostile. It looks mainly defensive, in case I ordered SER-->BUL with support from GRE. Still, had I succeeded in moving from Greece to the Ionian, Turkey would have claimed Greece. The other development: Russia ordered RUM support SER-->BUL. It's a tempting offer. I need a way to break the current pattern, before I'm whittled down by Italy and the maybe-hostile Turkey. And Russia seems to be set in "docile" bot mode. (At the start of a game, each bot is randomly assigned either a more docile or a more aggressive "personality," in addition to their regular trained responses.) On the other hand, of course Russia would love for me to distract Turkey from its attacks on Russia. Do I want to go there? Hmmm.

Around the rest of the board, France's move BUR-->BEL succeeded, taking Belgium from Germany, and England got into the North Sea from EDI. As a matter of fact, those are the only two units on the entire board to have successfully moved last turn!

My tentative orders for Spring '04: : VIE support-hold TRI, SER support-hold GRE, and ADR-->ION supported by GRE. I don't particularly like moving out of the Adriatic. Italy could move in behind me with APU-->ADR. I guess I'd then be in the Ionian though. Another possibility is VIE support-hold TRI, GRE-->ION, ADR-->APU (to cut support for TUN-->ION), SER-->GRE. And then there is the idea of SER-->BUL supported by GRE (and hopefully also by Russia), in which case VIE support-hold TRI and ADR-->ION to try to bounce. I'll mull these options more. Maybe I can come up with something better, but I'm feeling pretty restricted in what I can try.

DougJoe

#242 Post by DougJoe » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:55 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:56 pm
My tentative orders for Spring '04: : VIE support-hold TRI, SER support-hold GRE, and ADR-->ION supported by GRE. I don't particularly like moving out of the Adriatic. Italy could move in behind me with APU-->ADR. I guess I'd then be in the Ionian though. Another possibility is VIE support-hold TRI, GRE-->ION, ADR-->APU (to cut support for TUN-->ION), SER-->GRE. And then there is the idea of SER-->BUL supported by GRE (and hopefully also by Russia), in which case VIE support-hold TRI and ADR-->ION to try to bounce. I'll mull these options more. Maybe I can come up with something better, but I'm feeling pretty restricted in what I can try.
As far a "feeling restricted" goes, I hear you. There seems to be no "obvious" method of advancement.

One very "out of the box" thing you might consider is to play defense with Tyo/Tri/Ser this turn, pull out of ADR to Alb, use Greece to support Tun-ION. Maybe, just maybe, Italy will take the hint. Maybe not, it's hard to say. Otherwise, based on what the bots are currently doing, you aren't going to get into Bulgaria anytime soon as BLA and AEG cut the needed supports (unless you move ADR back to Alb to bounce AGE-Gre and move from Gre-Bul (sc) supported by Serbia.

it's tough.
Trigfea63 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:49 am

The "insolent" Russian, that's the spirit! (And great word.) I also want to add, as much to remind myself as anything, the nature of guessing the bots' moves is that we sometimes guess wrong. That doesn't mean we played the "wrong" moves. To the contrary, we must have conviction about our guesses, otherwise we will waffle endlessly over possible bot-moves and countermoves. Your substantial experience with the bots told you Russia probably wouldn't attack, and it was correct to make your moves accordingly.

Since it's a fall season upcoming, "Defend Serbia" would seem to be the highest priority among the objectives listed. You don't want to remove any units this winter, nor do you want to give the insolent Russian more than 1 build.
Heh, no worries. At least the game isn't boring. ;)

If Russia is going to go for Serbia, I would expect Tri & Rum S Bud->Ser. I can counter that by Bul S Ser, Ven-Tri, but it keeps Con from going west to make room for AEG-Con plus it locks Ven/Apu in place. I do still have a fleet to "give" in the south, so losing a unit might not be so bad if it happens... plus I think I still have what I would need to take Tunis, which could effectively replace that unit?

DougJoe

#243 Post by DougJoe » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:55 pm

Heh, no worries. At least the game isn't boring. ;)

If Russia is going to go for Serbia, I would expect Tri & Rum S Bud->Ser. I can counter that by Bul S Ser, Ven-Tri, but it keeps Con from going west to make room for AEG-Con plus it locks Ven/Apu in place. I do still have a fleet to "give" in the south, so losing a unit might not be so bad if it happens... plus I think I still have what I would need to take Tunis, which could effectively replace that unit?
Well, I decided in the end that I wanted better position for my units and did not defend Serbia, and Russia took it exactly like I thought he would. BUT, for some weird odd reason, he did *not* move to the Black Sea, so Sev was not open for a build. He built a fleet in the north and another army in Warsaw. France also eliminated England and built another fleet for the north. Germany didn't move a single unit (again).

So I don't know what the heck the Russian bot is doing long-term. I'm not even sure what he's going to try to do short-term at this point. For sure, I'm going to have ION support Rom-TYS... and I feel that there's no other option but to move Con-BLA. As for the other armies, I'm not sure yet.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#244 Post by Trigfea63 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:24 am

DougJoe wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm
Well, I decided in the end that I wanted better position for my units and did not defend Serbia, and Russia took it exactly like I thought he would. BUT, for some weird odd reason, he did *not* move to the Black Sea, so Sev was not open for a build. He built a fleet in the north and another army in Warsaw. France also eliminated England and built another fleet for the north. Germany didn't move a single unit (again).

So I don't know what the heck the Russian bot is doing long-term. I'm not even sure what he's going to try to do short-term at this point. For sure, I'm going to have ION support Rom-TYS... and I feel that there's no other option but to move Con-BLA. As for the other armies, I'm not sure yet.
Your position is indeed much improved. If his bot-history is any guide, Russia will either support-hold everywhere, or make 1 attack (BUL?) and support-hold everywhere else. It would be nice to get a fleet into the Adriatic, but you're right, eliminating hostile bot-Italy and taking his center are probably more important. Getting at least 1 build this year seems like a very high priority. And yes, CON-->BLA also seems pretty crucial, to keep Russia out of BLA if nothing else. That does leave BUL vulnerable though, unless GRE support-holds. You're at a disadvantage in Austria/Balkans, Russia has you outnumbered. Still, attacking is often the best approach in these situations. Russia is weak at SER or TRI. If you guess right, you can perhaps force a disband. If you guess wrong, and you lose BUL, well, that's not good at all.

Meanwhile ...
DougJoe wrote:
One very "out of the box" thing you might consider is to play defense with Tyo/Tri/Ser this turn, pull out of ADR to Alb, use Greece to support Tun-ION. Maybe, just maybe, Italy will take the hint. Maybe not, it's hard to say. Otherwise, based on what the bots are currently doing, you aren't going to get into Bulgaria anytime soon as BLA and AEG cut the needed supports (unless you move ADR back to Alb to bounce AGE-Gre and move from Gre-Bul (sc) supported by Serbia.
This is an excellent idea, and I tried it. Or rather, I tried a variation of it. Unfortunately, the "variation" part didn't go so well.

Oh well. It's getting late. More on this tomorrow.

DougJoe

#245 Post by DougJoe » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:44 am

Trigfea63 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:24 am
DougJoe wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Your position is indeed much improved. If his bot-history is any guide, Russia will either support-hold everywhere, or make 1 attack (BUL?) and support-hold everywhere else. It would be nice to get a fleet into the Adriatic, but you're right, eliminating hostile bot-Italy and taking his center are probably more important. Getting at least 1 build this year seems like a very high priority. And yes, CON-->BLA also seems pretty crucial, to keep Russia out of BLA if nothing else. That does leave BUL vulnerable though, unless GRE support-holds. You're at a disadvantage in Austria/Balkans, Russia has you outnumbered. Still, attacking is often the best approach in these situations. Russia is weak at SER or TRI. If you guess right, you can perhaps force a disband. If you guess wrong, and you lose BUL, well, that's not good at all.

Meanwhile ...
DougJoe wrote:
This is an excellent idea, and I tried it. Or rather, I tried a variation of it. Unfortunately, the "variation" part didn't go so well.

Oh well. It's getting late. More on this tomorrow.
The current moves I have plugged in are Ven & Tyo S Alb-Tri, Gre S Bud. Still thinking about it. I don't know if Russia is going to try for Alb, Tyo, or Bud.

Too bad about Greece - at least Russia is still willing to help.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#246 Post by Trigfea63 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:39 pm

DougJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:44 am
The current moves I have plugged in are Ven & Tyo S Alb-Tri, Gre S Bud. Still thinking about it. I don't know if Russia is going to try for Alb, Tyo, or Bud.
ALB seems an unlikely target. He might also support-hold. In which case it's a 50/50 guess to go after TRI or SER. He can't defend both.
DougJoe wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:44 am
Too bad about Greece - at least Russia is still willing to help.
Yep. I tried SER-->BUL. Russia supported it again, but Turkey cut the Russian support BLA-->RUM. Interestingly, Turkey ordered BUL to support BLA-->RUM, instead of the seemingly obvious BUL support-hold GRE. Bot-brains being what they are, I'm gonna take a shot at GRE this spring, before the new Turkish fleet arrives on scene in AEG to defend it. Hopefully, (1) I'll get it, and (2) Italy won't restart hostilities. Here goes:

Well, partial success. I captured GRE, but Italy did indeed restart hostilities, ION-->ADR. I'm not sure there's a way out of this any more, but I'll keep plugging away at the bot-brains. Never say die! More tomorrow.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#247 Post by Trigfea63 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:59 am

Trigfea63 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:39 pm

Well, partial success. I captured GRE, but Italy did indeed restart hostilities, ION-->ADR. I'm not sure there's a way out of this any more, but I'll keep plugging away at the bot-brains. Never say die! More tomorrow.
I think it's clear what I need to do for the autumn moves, so I'm gonna forge ahead. It's a virtual certainty Italy will attack Trieste with a force of 3. Serbia and Vienna both have to support-hold. Turkey could also attack Greece with a force of 3, but there's a chance he won't even attack with 2. He's repeatedly played BUL S BLA-->RUM. There's a good chance he'll repeat that. And maybe, just maybe, he'll order ION to NAP or TUN instead of supporting his attack on GRE. At least, there's a much better chance of that than of Italy failing to hit Trieste with 3. Here goes:

Nope. Turkey hit Greece with 3. (And Italy hit Trieste with 3.) I decided to retreat the fleet to ALB. Rebuilding in BUD isn't going to get me anywhere. My only real hope now is for France to build fleets and come hard after Italy. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#248 Post by Trigfea63 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:54 am

Trigfea63 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:59 am
Trigfea63 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:39 pm

I think it's clear what I need to do for the autumn moves, so I'm gonna forge ahead. It's a virtual certainty Italy will attack Trieste with a force of 3. Serbia and Vienna both have to support-hold. Turkey could also attack Greece with a force of 3, but there's a chance he won't even attack with 2. He's repeatedly played BUL S BLA-->RUM. There's a good chance he'll repeat that. And maybe, just maybe, he'll order ION to NAP or TUN instead of supporting his attack on GRE. At least, there's a much better chance of that than of Italy failing to hit Trieste with 3. Here goes:

Nope. Turkey hit Greece with 3. (And Italy hit Trieste with 3.) I decided to retreat the fleet to ALB. Rebuilding in BUD isn't going to get me anywhere. My only real hope now is for France to build fleets and come hard after Italy. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time.
Again, not too much to think about for Spring '06. Italy still has 3 on TRI, so VIE support-hold TRI and SER support-hold TRI are required. The only question is, what to do with F ALB? I considered ALB-->ADR, to cut support for Italy's NAP-->ION, but its value is too speculative to make it worth cracking Italy. I've decided to just have ALB support-hold TRI as well. It's conceivable Turkey will play BUL-->SER, and the ALB support will save the day. But not likely. The more important reason is, it's not worth antagonizing Italy further for such a marginal advantage. Maybe if I just hold for long enough, Italy will get bored and attack Turkey instead. Or maybe Turkey will punch into the Ionian and take Tunis. It's rope-a-dope time.

The Spring 1906 results:

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#249 Post by Trigfea63 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:54 am
Again, not too much to think about for Spring '06. Italy still has 3 on TRI, so VIE support-hold TRI and SER support-hold TRI are required. The only question is, what to do with F ALB? I considered ALB-->ADR, to cut support for Italy's NAP-->ION, but its value is too speculative to make it worth cracking Italy. I've decided to just have ALB support-hold TRI as well. It's conceivable Turkey will play BUL-->SER, and the ALB support will save the day. But not likely. The more important reason is, it's not worth antagonizing Italy further for such a marginal advantage. Maybe if I just hold for long enough, Italy will get bored and attack Turkey instead. Or maybe Turkey will punch into the Ionian and take Tunis. It's rope-a-dope time.

The Spring 1906 results:

There's not a whole heck of a lot to think about in this game right now. I've played 3 more defensive turns:

Autumn 1906. Same support-holds as in the Spring. Note France is up to 9 units, is threatening Germany and Scandi, and has a fleet in MAO and an army in GAS. Will Italy notice and change course?

The results:

Italy is still hammering away. France went north with the MAO fleet.

Spring 1907. My ALB fleet is now vulnerable to an Italian attack: ION-->ALB supported by ADR. After that, Trieste falls. With France moving away and Turkey support-holding endlessly, Italy has complete freedom to keep attacking me. It seems only too likely he'll eventually figure to knock out the ALB fleet. Maybe as soon as next turn. It's time to reposition the defensive forces: TRI-->BUD, ALB-->TRI with 2 supports. I hope it doesn't spook Russia. I'll have to give up on attacking Turkey. This game is looking like it will end in a French solo.

The results:

Italy didn't attack ALB with 2. Russia ordered RUM S SER.

Autumn 1907. I have a spare army now, I'll order SER S RUM. France has another fleet in MAO, maybe this time he'll move to WES and give me some relief.

The Autumn 1907 results:

France held in MAO, but the board state has changed. France is on the verge of taking StP. Russia adjusted its defenses accordingly, and now probably needs the support of my Serbian army to hold Rumania. Italy keeps hammering away at Trieste, to no avail, but it's enough to keep me from doing anything useful. Enough moves for now. Time to consider the changed position for a couple of days.

DougJoe

#250 Post by DougJoe » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:26 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:54 am

The Spring 1906 results:

Looks like you've moved on a few turns. I'm surprised Italy didn't try to take Alb, with his two fleets, but you're still okay. Turkey seems to be leaving you alone, but, at this point, you can't really do much other than fend of the annoying Italians.

If you live, it looks like France is gonna win this thing, be it by punching into Warsaw or sailing down to Tunis/Italy.

I've had it happen to me a couple of times too as France where Italy throws all his units at you and there's nothing you can do but hold him off while someone else grows.

DougJoe

#251 Post by DougJoe » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:27 am

Notes from my game:

In the Spring, I tried for Tri and Russia put 3 on Tri and 2 on Ser.

In the Fall, I tried for Ser and Russia put 2 on Tri and 3 on Ser and moved to Boh. *sigh*. France put a fleet in WMS. I got Tunis, so I get a build, which will probably be F Ank.

Trigfea63
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#252 Post by Trigfea63 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:09 am

DougJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:27 am
Notes from my game:

In the Fall, I tried for Ser and Russia put 2 on Tri and 3 on Ser and moved to Boh. *sigh*. France put a fleet in WMS. I got Tunis, so I get a build, which will probably be F Ank.
Yeah, that's bad luck. At least you haven't lost ground. Russia can't keep guessing right every time. Plus, once you're in Black Sea, you should be able to force a capture.

DougJoe

#253 Post by DougJoe » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 pm

Trigfea63 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:09 am
DougJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:27 am
Notes from my game:

Yeah, that's bad luck. At least you haven't lost ground. Russia can't keep guessing right every time. Plus, once you're in Black Sea, you should be able to force a capture.
Yeah, for the Spring I'll force Con->BLA with Ank... then the rest is trickier. I'd really like to move ION to ADR, but I think I'm going to ION-TYS S Tun (Tun-TYS, ION-TYS is also an option I'm considering) because I don't want France to sneak into either Tun or TYS. Dang, that fleet in WMS is annoying...

...as is the army in Bohemia - Tyrolia is vulnerable. I would suspect the bot will do the "safe" thing of supporting Tri, then moving Boh-Tyo supported by Vie and Tri (and lots of support holds everywhere else. I've been wrong about Russia the last two turns, though. I have the moves Tri S Tyo, Tyo S Alb-Tri, and Gre S Bul queued up, which defends everything but Alb... which I still consider the least likely Russian target.

DougJoe

#254 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:49 am

DougJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 pm
Yeah, for the Spring I'll force Con->BLA with Ank... then the rest is trickier. I'd really like to move ION to ADR, but I think I'm going to ION-TYS S Tun (Tun-TYS, ION-TYS is also an option I'm considering) because I don't want France to sneak into either Tun or TYS. Dang, that fleet in WMS is annoying...

...as is the army in Bohemia - Tyrolia is vulnerable. I would suspect the bot will do the "safe" thing of supporting Tri, then moving Boh-Tyo supported by Vie and Tri (and lots of support holds everywhere else. I've been wrong about Russia the last two turns, though. I have the moves Tri S Tyo, Tyo S Alb-Tri, and Gre S Bul queued up, which defends everything but Alb... which I still consider the least likely Russian target.
Ended up going with those moves. Got into BLA and TYS as expected, nothing else. Russia did use Tri to support Boh-Tyo and everthing else was support holds. France held WMS, nothing much happened else where. Germany's still dormant.

So, for the Autumn of 1908, what do I want to go for, and how do I want to do it?

I could probably take Trieste by Ven & Alb S Tyo->Tri, Gre->Ser, BLA S Bul... but since Trieste will have to be destroyed, he'll still have Boh/Vie/Bud/Ser which seems to make things complicated, as that's four still on Tri against the "obvious" three of Ven/Tri/Alb, which seems sketchy.

I could also probably take Serbia by Vie S Tyo, Alb & Bul S Gre-Ser, BLA-Rum. This leaves Bul exposed, but he hasn't tried to attack it in several turns (I would expect Sev S Rum). Again, the Serbian army is destroyed so there's no disband, and Alb/Ser/Bul can defend all day against Tri/Vie/Rum. Yeah, I kinda like that more. I'll also throw a couple of support holds on WMS, as well as move Ank->Arm.

I think I'm going to go with the latter.

DougJoe

#255 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:00 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:49 am
Ended up going with those moves. Got into BLA and TYS as expected, nothing else. Russia did use Tri to support Boh-Tyo and everthing else was support holds. France held WMS, nothing much happened else where. Germany's still dormant.

So, for the Autumn of 1908, what do I want to go for, and how do I want to do it?

I could probably take Trieste by Ven & Alb S Tyo->Tri, Gre->Ser, BLA S Bul... but since Trieste will have to be destroyed, he'll still have Boh/Vie/Bud/Ser which seems to make things complicated, as that's four still on Tri against the "obvious" three of Ven/Tri/Alb, which seems sketchy.

I could also probably take Serbia by Vie S Tyo, Alb & Bul S Gre-Ser, BLA-Rum. This leaves Bul exposed, but he hasn't tried to attack it in several turns (I would expect Sev S Rum). Again, the Serbian army is destroyed so there's no disband, and Alb/Ser/Bul can defend all day against Tri/Vie/Rum. Yeah, I kinda like that more. I'll also throw a couple of support holds on WMS, as well as move Ank->Arm.

I think I'm going to go with the latter.
Got Serbia. Build an army in Constantinople. France appeared to pull back from England and Russia pushed into NTH which is good because it should keep France's fleets busy up there instead of moving to the south.

This turn, I'm going to convoy Con->Sev, supported by Arm. Bul will tap Rum which should guarantee that. Alb will support Ser. and Ser & Ven will support Tyo->Tri. That should keep everything of mine safe, guarantees Sev, and might get me Tri at the cost of Tyo, but now that I have Ser I'm okay with that now.

DougJoe

#256 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:13 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:00 am
Got Serbia. Build an army in Constantinople. France appeared to pull back from England and Russia pushed into NTH which is good because it should keep France's fleets busy up there instead of moving to the south.

This turn, I'm going to convoy Con->Sev, supported by Arm. Bul will tap Rum which should guarantee that. Alb will support Ser. and Ser & Ven will support Tyo->Tri. That should keep everything of mine safe, guarantees Sev, and might get me Tri at the cost of Tyo, but now that I have Ser I'm okay with that now.
That went off without a hitch... except for France moving his fleets south into ENC and MAO. I need to start getting my fleets west - but I also don't want to get in the way of the two builds I should get. BLA->Con is easy enough. Arm-BLA. Since Russia's two units both got destroyed, I don't want to move Sev to give him any chance to rebuild anything there (he can force Edi unless France moves ENC back). So everything else plays defense and we wait until next year, where the two builds will be F Smy and A Ank. I could try to take WMS, but I really don't want a retreat into GoL, plus I also want the fleet to defend Rome if Russia tries to round the corner, so to speak.

DougJoe

#257 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:13 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:13 am

That went off without a hitch... except for France moving his fleets south into ENC and MAO. I need to start getting my fleets west - but I also don't want to get in the way of the two builds I should get. BLA->Con is easy enough. Arm-BLA. Since Russia's two units both got destroyed, I don't want to move Sev to give him any chance to rebuild anything there (he can force Edi unless France moves ENC back). So everything else plays defense and we wait until next year, where the two builds will be F Smy and A Ank. I could try to take WMS, but I really don't want a retreat into GoL, plus I also want the fleet to defend Rome if Russia tries to round the corner, so to speak.
Well, again everything was fine - I could have taken Rum but no worries. Also, France moved north and out of WMS... I don't want to count my chickens, so to speak, but I'm getting pretty confident I can solo here.

Builds were F Smy and A Ank. I have a couple of different options here... I can head towards Moscow or Rumania... I want the Russian fleets focused on France, not St. P, so I'll go for Rum. I think I'm also going to keep Tun and TYS where they are for now, hopefully the French fleets will stay north and my other two will have the turn they need to catch up.

DougJoe

#258 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:45 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:13 am
Well, again everything was fine - I could have taken Rum but no worries. Also, France moved north and out of WMS... I don't want to count my chickens, so to speak, but I'm getting pretty confident I can solo here.

Builds were F Smy and A Ank. I have a couple of different options here... I can head towards Moscow or Rumania... I want the Russian fleets focused on France, not St. P, so I'll go for Rum. I think I'm also going to keep Tun and TYS where they are for now, hopefully the French fleets will stay north and my other two will have the turn they need to catch up.
Well, I got into Rum no problem. Russia got into both Edi and Lon, and at best (worst?) he can only hold one of the two. France moved farther north, which is great.

I don't think there's a set of moves that forces Budapest (as Ukr can cut any support from Rum and Tyo can cut any support from Tri) so I think I'm going to try something a little different here and move Rum->Gal, with Bul stepping in to fill the gap. Now I think I will move the two fleets to WMS and GoL, which puts two on Spain, and if France doesn't move back to MAO...

DougJoe

#259 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:53 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:45 am
Well, I got into Rum no problem. Russia got into both Edi and Lon, and at best (worst?) he can only hold one of the two. France moved farther north, which is great.

I don't think there's a set of moves that forces Budapest (as Ukr can cut any support from Rum and Tyo can cut any support from Tri) so I think I'm going to try something a little different here and move Rum->Gal, with Bul stepping in to fill the gap. Now I think I will move the two fleets to WMS and GoL, which puts two on Spain, and if France doesn't move back to MAO...
Could have taken Bud because Russia covered Mos, but again, no worries. France took Edi back but lost London - he had to remove a unit and got rid of Mar, which leaves my path to it and Iberia looking good - if I get those three, I only need Bud and Vie for 18. I built army Con.

Gal, Tri, and Ser S Rum->Bud, Con->Rum.
WMS->Spa (sc), GoL->Mar, ION->Tun, Gre->ION.
Ven and Alb S Tri.

DougJoe

#260 Post by DougJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:02 am

DougJoe wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:53 am

Could have taken Bud because Russia covered Mos, but again, no worries. France took Edi back but lost London - he had to remove a unit and got rid of Mar, which leaves my path to it and Iberia looking good - if I get those three, I only need Bud and Vie for 18. I built army Con.

Gal, Tri, and Ser S Rum->Bud, Con->Rum.
WMS->Spa (sc), GoL->Mar, ION->Tun, Gre->ION.
Ven and Alb S Tri.
Got Mar, Spa, and Bud. Will get Vie, can't also get Por this turn. Sev will try for Moscow but will probably get bounced. Will push into Tyo as well.