Open Dominion (text based online war game)

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Erix

Open Dominion (text based online war game)

#1 Post by Erix » Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm

Hey everyone! Sorry if it’s not allowed, but this seems like the perfect place to recruit for math-strategy type games.

Back like 20 years ago there was a browser-text based war game called Dominion that was on a kamikazegames.com, which lasted for like 10-15 years, before being shut down in 2012. Since then, there has been a community project to remake the game, which has been live now for a couple years, at OpenDominion.net

It’s a pretty addicting game with a great community (and a very lively discord server as well), which has “rounds” that last for 47 days, then reset/restart. The game is in between rounds right now, so would be a perfect time to check it out if you have any interest.

We also have a decent sized group that have been playing webdiplomacy on and off for the last year or two, so you might have even encountered some of our OD (Open Dominion) players already.

If you do happen to check it out and/or go into the discord server, make sure you let me know!

-Erix

JustAGuyNamedWill

Re: Open Dominion (text based online war game)

#2 Post by JustAGuyNamedWill » Tue May 07, 2024 4:50 pm

What exactly is the game about?

Erix

#3 Post by Erix » Tue May 07, 2024 5:26 pm

I’ll post a quick summary/basic description of the game from its homepage:

OpenDominion is a free online text-based strategy game in a medieval fantasy setting. You control a nation called a 'dominion', along with its resources, buildings, land and units. You are placed in a realm with other dominions and you must work together to make your realm the wealthiest and most powerful in the land and crush your enemies!

———-

Essentially you start with a little dominion/territory (like your own country) with some peasants (who can either produce resources or get drafted into your army), and you attempt to grow bigger and stronger, either through exploration on unclaimed land, or attacking other dominions (controlled by other players). Your dominion is in a larger “realm” with other players and you work together to make your realm and dominion as big as possible.

The round/game lasts for 47 days, and you can either be super diligent and play very actively (the game progresses every hour, essentially 1 turn), or you can play less active (maybe logging in only a few times a day). Then once the round is over the results are recorded in “Valhalla”, the admins make changes based on player suggestions and try to balance it/make more fair, then it restarts.

It’s honestly not a game for everyone, but seems like something a number of people in this web-diplomacy community could be interested in.

DrFidelis

#4 Post by DrFidelis » Tue May 07, 2024 6:33 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'll probably hop onto it later tonight.
"I cannot think, I cannot fight. With patience, I will find my way."

(hmu if you ever need to find a willing person to be the next 20 questions QM)

Erix

#5 Post by Erix » Tue May 07, 2024 6:42 pm

It really is! Especially in conjunction with something like diplomacy! Check out the website and the discord server is super super helpful and friendly. That’s where a lot of conversations happen.

DrFidelis

#6 Post by DrFidelis » Tue May 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Boutta play Dominion like Diplomacy and work with supports lmao

Erix

#7 Post by Erix » Tue May 07, 2024 7:05 pm

Some of the best players work in a support-type role and have great finishes (based on their size at the end of the round). Other people play kind of like… Austria? And go wild early game. It really has lots of different potential strategies for different personalities/preferences.

DiplomacyandWarfare

#8 Post by DiplomacyandWarfare » Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 pm

I do enjoy playing Dominion. Last time I checked, though, it was a board game...?

Erix

#9 Post by Erix » Tue May 07, 2024 11:39 pm

So that’s a different Dominion. This Dominion is a browser tick-based war game. Was online from 2000-2012 and at its peak had about 10,000 active players per round (per game).

Pengwinja

#10 Post by Pengwinja » Wed May 08, 2024 11:43 am

I swear if you get me into another online browser country/war game…

Oh no it looks interesting what have you done.

Im falling down the rabbit hole.

Erix

#11 Post by Erix » Wed May 08, 2024 1:59 pm

Join us! Now is the perfect time since we’re between rounds

DrFidelis

#12 Post by DrFidelis » Wed May 08, 2024 3:02 pm

So, looking into OD a little bit more, it's this cooperative-competitive type game where YES, you can fight other dominions in the realm, but the overall goal is being the biggest realm WITH those other dominions. Honestly the revulsion of it being this coop-comp blend might make me think twice about playing, though I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and a single round before I entirely drop it...

Erix

#13 Post by Erix » Wed May 08, 2024 4:06 pm

You do not compete against others in your same realm. A realm is essentially a team and you cannot take negative actions against them, whereas you can attack, steal from, assassinate, fireball, etc people in other realms.

The individual goal is to get as large and strong as possible, but there is a subset of players that focus more on helping their realmmates succeed at their own expense (like investing heavily into intel-operations, at the expense of their own growth). A secondary goal is to try and get your realm as big as you can.

Pengwinja

#14 Post by Pengwinja » Wed May 08, 2024 4:34 pm

Do you, Erix, have a recommended starting race?

DrFidelis

#15 Post by DrFidelis » Wed May 08, 2024 4:39 pm

Erix wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:06 pm
You do not compete against others in your same realm. A realm is essentially a team and you cannot take negative actions against them, whereas you can attack, steal from, assassinate, fireball, etc people in other realms.

The individual goal is to get as large and strong as possible, but there is a subset of players that focus more on helping their realmmates succeed at their own expense (like investing heavily into intel-operations, at the expense of their own growth). A secondary goal is to try and get your realm as big as you can.
oh, my bad, sorry, i come from this genre of games where intra-realm fighting occurs alongside inter-realm fighting, misinterpretation.

Erix

#16 Post by Erix » Wed May 08, 2024 4:49 pm

Back in the original version of the game 20+ years ago, there was inter-realm fighting. People stealing from their realmmates, attacking each other, etc.

But it got removed a long, long time ago, because of potential for abusing the system/cheating.

Pengwinja

#17 Post by Pengwinja » Thu May 09, 2024 1:57 am

Pengwinja wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:34 pm
Do you, Erix, have a recommended starting race?
Erix plz

Erix

#18 Post by Erix » Sat May 11, 2024 12:05 pm

Honestly, human is pretty straightforward. Or maybe Merfolk!