Big Bussy 3

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Wattsthematter

Big Bussy 3

#1 Post by Wattsthematter » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:14 pm

Has anyone noticed that the first thing that comes up when you type Web Diplomacy in your web browser is a link to the game "Big Bussy 3"?

Why did somebody name their game this?

Why did they do it three times?

Pengwinja

Re: Big Bussy 3

#2 Post by Pengwinja » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:09 pm

This doesn’t happen to me. Why is it appearing in yours?

Esquire Bertissimmo

#3 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 pm

Very interesting haha.

My Chrome suggestions when I start typing "we..." are kind of odd. I get some google searches I've made in the past for the weather in various places, followed by WebDip forums that I have barely participated in. I do not get thte webdip games and forum threads I visited much more often. I was a CD-takeover person in Big Bussy 3 and it doesn't come up.

I was chatting with GPT-4 about how Chrome decides to prioritize these recommendations - here's what it said:
History: Chrome prioritizes URLs that you have visited frequently or recently. The more often you visit a site, the more likely it is to appear as a suggestion.

Bookmarks: If you have bookmarked sites, these may also appear in your suggestions, as Chrome assumes these are important to you.

Search Predictions: Chrome utilizes your default search engine (usually Google) to provide predictions based on popular searches or ongoing trends that match the keywords you start typing.

Tab Sync: If you use Chrome with a Google account and have multiple devices, Chrome can suggest URLs open in tabs on other devices.

Machine Learning Models: Chrome employs algorithms that analyze your past browsing behavior to predict what you might be looking for. This includes considering sites you haven't visited frequently if the model detects a pattern that suggests a potential interest.

Typed Navigations: Chrome ranks higher the URLs you have manually typed in the past over sites you clicked on via links.

Domain Knowledge: If Chrome's algorithms have learned that certain domains are commonly visited in response to specific keywords, it may suggest these even if you haven’t visited them frequently.

DrFidelis

#4 Post by DrFidelis » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:48 pm

Esquire Bertissimmo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 pm
Very interesting haha.

My Chrome suggestions when I start typing "we..." are kind of odd. I get some google searches I've made in the past for the weather in various places, followed by WebDip forums that I have barely participated in. I do not get thte webdip games and forum threads I visited much more often. I was a CD-takeover person in Big Bussy 3 and it doesn't come up.

I was chatting with GPT-4 about how Chrome decides to prioritize these recommendations - here's what it said:
History: Chrome prioritizes URLs that you have visited frequently or recently. The more often you visit a site, the more likely it is to appear as a suggestion.

Bookmarks: If you have bookmarked sites, these may also appear in your suggestions, as Chrome assumes these are important to you.

Search Predictions: Chrome utilizes your default search engine (usually Google) to provide predictions based on popular searches or ongoing trends that match the keywords you start typing.

Tab Sync: If you use Chrome with a Google account and have multiple devices, Chrome can suggest URLs open in tabs on other devices.

Machine Learning Models: Chrome employs algorithms that analyze your past browsing behavior to predict what you might be looking for. This includes considering sites you haven't visited frequently if the model detects a pattern that suggests a potential interest.

Typed Navigations: Chrome ranks higher the URLs you have manually typed in the past over sites you clicked on via links.

Domain Knowledge: If Chrome's algorithms have learned that certain domains are commonly visited in response to specific keywords, it may suggest these even if you haven’t visited them frequently.
Let's just make it clear, as well, that Chat-GPT says things with confidence, not accuracy. Nothing it says should be taken at face value.
"I cannot think, I cannot fight. With patience, I will find my way."

(hmu if you ever need to find a willing person to be the next 20 questions QM)

Esquire Bertissimmo

#5 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:56 pm

It's good to know when to be skeptical of GPT output and when to trust it, otherwise it's an almost worthless tool.

For queries like this GPT-4 is typically excellent. It's basically just summarizing various wikis and FAQs on this exact topic. Tech info like this is very well represented in its training model. I have high confidence in this particular output.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#6 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:05 pm

Of course, a quick way to verify is to get GPT-4 to point you towards sources that attest to the veracity of its initial output. GPT-4 definitely makes stuff up sometimes, but rarely in cases where the questions are about some technical topic that has lots written online it about online.
To substantiate the explanation of how Google Chrome's suggestion algorithm in the address bar works, here are several credible sources that provide insights:

Google's Official Documentation and Blogs: Google's own documentation and blog posts explain the mechanics behind the Omnibox. They mention how it uses the recency and frequency of visited sites, along with the relevance of searches to the typed characters, to make predictions. This is detailed in a Google blog post about how autocomplete works in Search: https://www.blog.google/products/search/how-google-autocomplete-works-search/

Developer Resources and Technical Insights: Technical articles and developer resources, like those available on Chromium.org, discuss the design principles behind the Omnibox. These sources highlight the focus on minimizing cognitive load and enhancing prediction accuracy, with an emphasis on user-centric design principles: https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/omnibox

Tech News and Updates: Articles from tech news platforms such as The Next Web report on updates to Chrome, including improvements to the Omnibox suggestions. These articles note that newer versions of Chrome use recent browsing history to make predictions more contextually relevant. For example, an article on The Next Web discussing the release of Google Chrome 29 and its features can be read here: https://thenextweb.com/news/google-chrome-29-is-out-omnibox-suggestions-profile-resetting

Pengwinja

#7 Post by Pengwinja » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm

You would think that google Gemini would be more fitted to answer this question.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#8 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:24 pm

Pengwinja wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm
You would think that google Gemini would be more fitted to answer this question.
Gemini gives very similar output to the same prompt. ChatGPT and Gemini are likely summarizing much of the same source material. Gemini was better placed to offer solutions, though I still like its response a a little less.

Gemini's response:
Search History: This is a big one. Chrome prioritizes websites you've visited before, especially ones you've accessed frequently. Even if you don't think you've visited a site much, Chrome considers every visit, so a single click on a specific result for a search you do often could influence the suggestions for similar searches later.
Search Prediction: Chrome analyzes what you're typing and tries to predict what you might be searching for. This prediction considers things like trending searches, your location, and even your browsing history on other Google products. So, even if you haven't visited a specific site, if it's relevant to a common search term you use or a current event, it might pop up in the suggestions.
Bookmarked Sites: Websites you've bookmarked are prioritized as well. Chrome figures these are sites you find important and might want to access quickly.
Here's why you might see suggestions for sites you don't recall visiting much:

Similar Searches: You might have visited a site related to what you're currently typing, and Chrome considers that connection.
Search Prediction: As mentioned, Chrome might predict your search intent based on broader factors and suggest relevant sites even if you haven't been there before.
You can manage how Chrome personalizes your suggestions:

Clear Browsing Data: This will remove your search history and browsing data, which can reset your suggestions.
Turn Off Search Predictions: In Chrome settings, you can disable "Search predictions" under the "Search engine" section. This will limit suggestions based solely on your browsing history.

Pengwinja

#9 Post by Pengwinja » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:46 pm

I was referencing the fact that it is a google product, so it would know best.

brainbomb

#10 Post by brainbomb » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 am

This thread is begging to get a parody of it but im not trying to get forum infractions

Jamiet99uk

Re: Big Pussy 3

#11 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:26 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 am
This thread is begging to get a parody of it but im not trying to get forum infractions
What do you mean?

There's nothing at all funny about this thread.
This signature is hard to read in dark mode.

kingofthepirates
Location: Dragon Temple, Crumbling Farum Azula, The Lands Between

Re: Big Pussy 3

#12 Post by kingofthepirates » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:26 pm
brainbomb wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:37 am
What do you mean?

There's nothing at all funny about this thread.
indeed, no juvenile humor to be found at all, mhm, absolutely, yeah!
“In the darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, look to the madman to show the way.”- Roboute Guilliman